Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

Replies to: Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

• cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    edited August 16
    @tranquilmind

Answered and refuted on the basis that she was the one who initially brought them up in such an oversimplified manner as to be misleading on the actual history and 2....the Charlotteville White Supremicist marchers were filled with bona-fide Neo-Nazis holding the same heinous genocidal ideals as the Nazi German forebearers.

This is underscored by Pearce Tefft, the father who disowned is younger son Peter Tefft for participation in the White Supremicist marches who recounted how his son one time joked about how the Nazis he supported would place those they disagreed with in the ovens and stated forthrightly, his son would have to place him and the rest of his family in those ovens as well in the course of denouncing his son's beliefs and behavior and declaring him persona-non-grata to the family.

And it's really telling you're focusing on being tired of references to Nazi Germany when the White Supremacist marches in Charlotteville are directly inspired by it and its ideals.

Don't forget, the White Supremacists and their fellow-travellers hold ideals which have the end-game of eliminating or relegating anyone they deem non-White, Jewish, or otherwise undesirable to the oppressed underclass as the Nazis actually did not too long ago. That's much more horrifying and morally/ethically troubling than hearing more about Nazi Germany.

If anything, events like these show there's not enough coverage/discussion about the history of the rise of Fascism in the world during the 1920's and '30s....including the Nazi variety.
  • TranquilMindTranquilMind Registered User Posts: 744 Member
    "Katliamom: It's OK to shout. Constitutionally protected, in fact. I shouted myself hoarse on Sunday. And if you don't like it being "in your face" - then leave. "

If someone is screaming in my face, they had better get out of the way before I file charges for assault and possibly battery, depending upon the extent of the threat. And hell will freeze over before anything that person has to say matters. Perfect way to harden response against your views.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,894 Senior Member
    I would tell my kids to be careful, stay away unless you have a vested interest in a cause and leave if others infiltrate your group or if things begin turn violent. Someone protesting the removal of a statue I can have an opinion about and even if I didn't agree with them I believe in their right to protest and in the right to others to counter protest. Someone espousing white supremacy is inciting violence. Leave. If others who counter protesting the supremacists arrive and appear to be violent, if your not already gone leave. It's no longer a protest it's a riot.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,610 Senior Member
    edited August 16
    The time to act is well before the neighbors start disappearing!
    If white polo shirts is on its way to being a supremacist signal, check through your sons' clothes and make sure they don't take one to school!

This thread has jumped many sharks multiple times.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,170 Senior Member
    The Klan does not have the implicit government backing it did. The real Nazis were defeated. These people are using symbols to incite fear, but they don't have the power these symbols once represented. We should all be able to agree that's a good thing. That doesn't mean they can't cause any harm or that they should be ignored, but you are serving their cause if you pretend the groups that exist today are capable of the kind of oppression their namesakes achieved.

If you are a disaffected white guy looking for a group that offers community and power to avenge the forces that keep you from being the raging success you know you should be, do you want to join the group that has people cowering in the corner, or the group that has people pointing and laughing and identifying your face and outing you on the internet?
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    edited August 16
    If someone is screaming in my face, they had better get out of the way before I file charges for assault and possibly battery, depending upon the extent of the threat.

Maybe your local municipality/state has different laws.

However, my understanding of assault and battery laws in the areas I've lived in is that it must involve the threat of or in the case of battery, actual active use of physical force(i.e. a punch, kick, etc). And yes, I did check with friends who work as attorneys and LEOs.

I doubt it applies to someone shouting at another person, especially in the context of a demonstration/counter-demonstration as in those contexts, it's usually protected by the First Amendment.
    edited August 16
    "emilybee: This wasn't/isn't an issue about free speech. That is a straw man argument. This is about people who are white supremists and Nazis and all their supporters who are trying to draw equivalencies between themselves and those who protest/speak out against these vile groups."

You are mistaken. The only issue here is free speech. The most vile group on earth (NAMBLA, anyone?) has the right to speak freely without governmental restriction. And it needs to be this way, if you want your own rights to free speech protected.

This is only about free speech. Now when and if it tips over into criminal behavior, all bets are off. But speech must be protected, no matter how you feel about it.
    The time to SPEAK is before they start disappearing.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 63,469 Senior Member
    But speech must be protected, no matter how you feel about it.

Then you have no problem with groups like the SPLC using their freedom of speech to call hate groups what they are, right?
    ucb: Of course not. Why would I? I'm nothing if not consistent. Let the SPLC do its thing. As well as everyone else.
    Or people making comparisons between modern day Nazis and the Nazis of 1920s-1940s Germany, right?
    edited August 16
    Um, am I silencing them? Taking away their right to speak? Removing them from this forum? (Not that I'm the government, but following the analogy).

No, people are permitted to speak what they like, as am I. I can call it as I see it as well. They can be as right or as wrong as they like.
    edited August 16
    No, people are permitted to speak what they like, as am I. I can call it as I see it as well. They can be as right or as wrong as they like.

Yet you consider that someone screaming in your face, apparently even in the context of protests and counter protests where that can be expected, automatically to be assault and battery, in reply #332.
    If someone is screaming in my face, they had better get out of the way before I file charges for assault and possibly battery, depending upon the extent of the threat.
This discussion has been closed.