Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

The Essex Serpent - October CC Book Club Selection

Replies to: The Essex Serpent - October CC Book Club Selection

• SouthJerseyChessMomSouthJerseyChessMom Registered User Posts: 3,463 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Looked at Goodreads best book group books and most have been read by this group over the years

Here is list from U.K.
    Number nine - states readers who like The Essex Serpent - will like The Other Hoffman Sister-
    ( has anyone read it ?)

At end of this article this :
    THE VERDICT: BOOK CLUB READS

Elizabeth Strout’s Anything Is Possible provides endless avenues of conversation. What is the motive for each character in the town? Why did Lucy come back to her hometown, and what really happened when she was a child? Why did her siblings not leave too? Each chapter of the novel focuses on a different person and their story, their interpretation of living in the same place – Amgash, Illinois – as young Lucy. Only at the end of the novel does the whole story come to light.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/arts-books/fiction-books/best-book-club-books-reads-suggestions-recommendations-under-300-2017-a6834621.html?amp
  • ignatiusignatius Registered User Posts: 3,125 Senior Member
    On @SouthJerseyChessMom's list ^^^: I still want to read The Dry

If you want seasonal there's The Seven Days of Us - Nancy Hornak.
    How about The Nix. (I looked up Elaine Newton's upcoming Critic's Choice discussions. We've read and liked two of the five.)

http://artisnaples.org/education/lifelong-learning/critics-choice
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,714 Senior Member
    I don't often tear out reviews from the NYT Book Review, but even though the book looked outside of my comfirt zone, I did for The Mothers by Britt Bennet. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/books/review/brit-bennett-mothers.html

They also talked about it here: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/books/the-mothers-brit-bennett.html
  • CaraidCaraid Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    I took a look at all the books mentioned. I could read any of them. I'll put The Nix, The Ninth Hour, The Seven Days of Us and The Mothers at the top. I am heading out of town early tomorrow morning and will be happy to read whatever gets picked.
  • Mary13Mary13 Registered User Posts: 3,545 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    I'm going to exercise an individual veto on The Seven Days of Us. Why, you ask?
    “Perfect for fans of cozy Christmas films like Love Actually and The Family Stone. An emotional but ultimately uplifting holiday story.”—Kirkus Reviews

“Hornak offers a tragicomic holiday tale that’s perfect for fans of family sagas and multiperspective narratives like Love Actually.”—BookPage

Love Actually is on my top ten list of least favorite movies of all time. Lol, some scenes are just like fingernails on a blackboard. Hands-down my favorite one-star review on Amazon is "I had to hide during most of the film because I was embarrassed to live in the same reality that produced it."

@Caraid, thanks and have a good trip!

I've never seen Love Actually or, for that matter, The Family Stone. Hmm ... definitely not a glowing endorsement, though I love that one-star review.

Okay, here's where we are:

The Strangler Vine by M.J. Carter

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti

My Name Is Lucy Barton possibly combined with Anything Is Possible both by Elizabeth Strout

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

The Mothers by Britt Bennett

The Nix by Nathan Hill

Please veto books that you'd rather not read, so we can pare down the list!

@SouthJerseyChessMom, I haven't read The Other Hoffman Sister, but I didn't add it to the list because it doesn't seem to be readily available on Amazon (well only Amazon UK).
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 16,869 Senior Member
    Sorry I haven't been involved in this discussion. S1 just got married last weekend and I've been rather busy.

I've already read The Mothers and I thought it was pleasant but unremarkable. I have no opinions on any of the others listed.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 29,714 Senior Member
    Congratulations VeryHappy! I'll be reading reviews tonight - no opinion at this time!
    Congrats to @VeryHappy on adding a daughter (in-law) to her family. Hopefully her addition will bring joy and happiness not only to your son but to all those who love him.

Enjoy your trip @Caraid!

Books: No vetoes from me. No preferences either. Maybe once the list narrows somewhat I can list preferences but as for now - nope, all look good.
    Congratulations, @VeryHappy! Thanks for checking in!

If length matters to anyone when mulling choices, be aware that The Nix is 752 pages.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 16,869 Senior Member
    Then maybe I'll nix The Nix.

(I had to say that!!)
    We always pick a long book to read over the cold winter month of January. Let's take another look at The Nix next time we choose.
  • psychmompsychmom Registered User Posts: 1,783 Senior Member
    Just checking in - waiting for the list to be whittled down a bit.