Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Vegas shooting, 50 dead

Replies to: Vegas shooting, 50 dead

• lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,466 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    ^plus, Hobby Lobby was caught buying smuggled artifacts. What a side hustle that was.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    Oooh, I had forgotten about that. Looted from Iraq no less, for their proposed bible themed park because they're so godly you know.....
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 2,227 Senior Member
    Sure, some deaths will always be inevitable.

But because deaths are inevitable in cars, we don't do away with seatbelts and airbags.

Guns are literally the only thing we apply this logic to that I can think of.

Except, the last part is completely false. Gun manufacturers do a lot to make their guns safer. Watch some of the Glock drop tests. Seatbelts and airbags only address accidents. They don't address the intentional misuse of a vehicle. If you want to commit suicide by driving off a bridge or homicide by driving into a crowd, seatbelts and airbags won't stop you.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,418 Senior Member
    And Hobby Lobby used to not carry Chaukah decorations. Remember the “we don’t cater to you people”. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hobby-lobby-accused-anti-semitism-article-1.1473330
  • catahoulacatahoula Registered User Posts: 3,381 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    If only the only victims of these maniacs were those who supported unrestricted gun ownership. Let them kill each other.

Unrestricted gun ownership? Felons and minors come to mind, right off the bat, and it's doubtful many of the gun owners who understand and follow rules support changing them for either. Actually, I suspect your deserving victims would be such a small subset they'd be statistically buried by the monthly homicide tally for some portion of Chicago, consolation. Not that it isn't still a very nice thought, though, and much appreciated.

What predictably - and only - lights off talk of legislating around the Second amendment is a shooting. Not just any kind, since I've yet to see one on the ever ongoing inner-city bloodbath, but one that happens somewhere it shouldn't. A movie theater, a concert, a church. Hmm.... no, not all churches, since the one in Tennessee a few weeks back didn't merit an outraged thread... still can't imagine why.

Well, no, I can - didn't fit the profile. Wasn't a middle-class white male. Wasn't someone the untrained would immediately peg as a NRA member.

While y'all are considering the merits of legislating around the clearly enumerated right to bear arms, for the good of saving innocent lives, you might each consider how much bang for your legislative buck you'd get by going back and looking at that ethereal 'right to privacy'. Take a long contemplation as to whether it, rather than the Second should be reconsidered. Mental illness, medicated or not, is a bigger tell for potential shooters by far than how many guns or cartridges they've bought.

All things considered, I'd rather allow a felon gun rights than someone with a history of anti-depressants.

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,418 Senior Member
    Gun manufacturers do a lot to make their guns safer. Watch some of the Glock drop tests. Seatbelts and airbags only address accidents. They don't address the intentional misuse of a vehicle
    Maybe thats because most vehicles are not used to intentionally hurt others. Comparing gun safety measures to airbags was the laugh of the day.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    A shooting like this only "lights off" talk about gun laws because it is such a slap in the face about our utter failure in this area. Don't think for a minute that most of us only care about gun violence in cases like this. What about the silent majority - suicide? Those were all people who chose to own guns and ended up turning them on themselves. It hurts to even type that out and I wish so much it weren't true.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 17,381 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    Those were all people who chose to own guns

Well, no. Some suicides shoot themselves with someone else's gun that they find or acquire somehow. In particular, children who kill themselves with a gun are usually using a parent's gun that was left available to the child.

Please, if you have someone with depression in your house, get rid of your guns or secure them so that the vulnerable person can't get them. Don't assume your children don't know how to get the guns in your house; they probably do unless you make them unavailable by putting them in a gun safe that the child can't open.
  • catahoulacatahoula Registered User Posts: 3,381 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    What about the silent majority - suicide? Those were all people who chose to own guns and ended up turning them on themselves.
    A question posited by a researcher, and dropped in lieu of more productive lines of attack

Edited to add: Miss-spoke. she didn't drop it, she just decided that narrow interventions were all that might be expected to bear fruit.

Worth reading.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html
  • TonyKTonyK Registered User Posts: 1,134 Senior Member
    Shooter had 49 firearms in three different locations plus chemicals for explosives. He purchased 33 of the firearms within the past year and most of them were rifles. It's hard for me to believe he did all of this entirely on his own. I still think the Bundy Militia or another group came into contact with him.

One person interviewed overheard him once say "I'm paying for your drink, just like I am paying for you'" to his girlfriend. I hope they are able to get his girlfriend to share a lot of information.
  • sciencenerdsciencenerd Registered User Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    All things considered, I'd rather allow a felon gun rights than someone with a history of anti-depressants.

How about we put restrictions on both groups' guns rights?
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,226 Senior Member
    The girlfriend is basically pulling a Sergeant Schultz -- "I know nothing." Given the nature of the weapons/ammunition he had been stockpiling over the last year, I have to say that is hard for me to believe. Would you not ask your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend what they were doing with all those weapons ? Or at least suspect something was awry?
This discussion has been closed.