Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Vegas shooting, 50 dead

Replies to: Vegas shooting, 50 dead

• ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,773 Senior Member
    I suffer from depression. I am not suicidal and never have been. I am not violent and never have been.

I also do not suffer from testosterone poisoning. Nor do I suffer from the paranoid delusion that I need a weapon to defend myself. Nor do I suffer from extreme racism of the type that wants to start a race war, or the kind of religious belief that goes on about "end times" and the like. I am not part of the gun culture that defines guns as an essential part of their brand of American identity. I could go on.

I have no desire or need whatever to own a gun of any kind. Actually, since I do not hunt and do not live in a wilderness populated by grizzly bears--and when I hiked in grizzly country I had bear spray, not a gun--I think that acquiring one would be a clear sign of the type of instability that presages gun violence.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,245 Senior Member
    Also, the Nevada legislature passed a bill that would have mandated universal background checks, even at gun shows. The governor vetoed it. So, people got it put on the ballot as an initiative and it passed. But the AG says he doesn't agree with the law and won't enforce it.

I'd like to say I'm shaking my head but I feel more like I'm banging it against a wall.
  • mommajesmommajes Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @catahoula Sadly, I doubt many will take the time to read the article you attached. This topic is understandably highly charged and emotional, but facts do matter.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,100 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    Continued talk and focus, media and otherwise, about the bump stock. Seriously, though, is anyone here really surprised to learn that semi-automatic weapons can be converted to automatic weapons? That it is easy? You can find stuff all over the internet, all over youtube on how to convert, people using them, etc.

Buying guns is easy. Converting them to be more efficient killing machines is easy.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,277 Senior Member
    edited October 2017
    @mommajes I read catahoula's article but found nothing persuasive in it. Yes, many gun deaths are suicides.

This does not change the fact that the US has the highest murder-by-gun rate in the developed world. That we have the highest mass murder rate in the developed world. Our mass murders are so frequent, most of us don't pay attention if fewer than, say, 5 people die. WE ARE BLASE about mass murder in this country. This is how low we've sunk.
  • TonyKTonyK Registered User Posts: 1,134 Senior Member
    "Why hard to believe? It's not that difficult to buy guns in this country if you have the $$, especially with Nevada's lax laws."

Buying the latest batch of 33 guns was one of the easier tasks. Planning, choosing a venue, choosing a specific location, practicing, planning his getaway, deciding when to send his girlfriend away, transporting guns and ammo and chemicals, and maintaining secrecy are no easy matter. Some gun dealer or fellow target shooter must recall the questions he asked.

He had to have someone answer those questions and advise him.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 19,100 Senior Member
    Exactly, @Sue22! NRA's small concession in the face of growing focus and anger regarding the current state of gun laws - or lack thereof.

"Buying the latest batch of 33 guns was one of the easier tasks. Planning, choosing a venue, choosing a specific location, practicing, planning his getaway, deciding when to send his girlfriend away, transporting guns and ammo and chemicals, and maintaining secrecy are no easy matter. Some gun dealer or fellow target shooter must recall the questions he asked.

He had to have someone answer those questions and advise him."

@TonyK Which part of this do you find challenging for a grown man with plenty of money and free time? You create a spreadsheet, flowchart or list, you break it down into tasks, you plan and execute your list. Much the way any event is planned. It's not too different or more complex than planning a wedding or a conference. Individuals do those all the time. The intent and execution of the massacre was evil but the tasks leading up to the event can be broken down into steps and planned. It's not hard to do things in secrecy if you're a bit of a loner. The efficiency of a weapon that has been turned into an automatic weapon doesn't require much accuracy or skill, to essentially strafe a large target. As far as questions, 1. you can find plenty of stuff online and 2. I bet people who deal in weapons like this don't engage in talking to authorities or others.
This discussion has been closed.