Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Vegas shooting, 50 dead

Replies to: Vegas shooting, 50 dead

• sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,023 Senior Member
    We just came from a concert where there were thousands of people for the concert and other events taking place at the same location/venue. No one searched, scanned, poked, prodded, or fondled us. It was actually somewhat alarming, considering the usual security measures. Sad that we would find it alarming, actually.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 15,069 Senior Member
    ^I know a lot of AP zombie walkers. That sounds pretty reasonable to me!
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,489 Senior Member
    So the timeline has changed dramatically. The security guard was shot by Paddock 6 minutes before Paddock started shooting at the crowd.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/09/las-vegas-gunman-shot-security-guard-minutes-before-massacre-police-say/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_vegas-timeline-750pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.f6b5c726044d#comments

The security guard was shot in the leg. Paddock reportedly shot many, many rounds through the door. This brings up so many questions. Didn't the security guard radio someone that he had been shot? Why did he go up there in the first place? Didn't anyone hear all that shooting on that floor of the hotel? Why haven't we seen or heard from the guard?

If the guard had no radio, or if the radio wasn't working or if he radioed to Mandalay security and they didn't immediately call police or the guard didn't radio at all (unless his wounds prevented it)....now I can smell liability on the part of Mandalay, owned by MGM.
  • CottonTalesCottonTales Registered User Posts: 547 Member
    I had heard that security had gone up to the 32nd floor because of an alarm going off a few doors down. With the security cameras Paddock had set up in the hallways, he may have thought the security guard was coming for him. This is an ever changing story, so this account may change as well.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 7,320 Senior Member
    There was an account by a man who was in the room below the shooter's and was going to bed when the shooting started.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/las-vegas-mandalay-room-below.html
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,692 Senior Member
    The false flag fanatics must be having a field day with this change in timeline.
    Just as I said: the victims will now sue the Mandalay Bay. This quote is from the LA Times.

Attorney Richard A. Patterson, who has already filed legal papers to prevent the distribution of any of Paddock's assets on behalf of victim John Phippen's family, said the latest revelations of a six-minute delay between the shooting of Campos and the beginning of Paddock’s shooting rampage suggest “incompetence" on the part of Mandalay Bay.

"We are talking six minutes, here. This is amazing and shocking that they didn't respond faster," said Patterson, who was planning legal action against Mandalay Bay’s parent company, MGM Resorts International, on behalf of victims and the families of those killed, wounded and injured.

"I think everybody's question is, what if they had gotten there?” Patterson said. “There are high-speed elevators to the 32nd floor, A couple of minutes makes all the difference. At the very least, they could have distracted the killer. Maybe they could have prevented it."

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,756 Senior Member
    A CNN headline reads that he was targeting the fuel tanks at the airport with some special ammo.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,170 Senior Member
    The victims would sue Mandalay Bay regardless of the time line. Also Jason Aldean, the concert promoter, the concert security, the city of Las Vegas, and any other deep pockets that were in the state at the time.

That's not to say the hotel mishandled the situation. Plenty of people bring plenty of luggage into Las Vegas hotel rooms every day for trade shows and other events, and nothing prepared anyone for this shooter's actions. But lawyers gonna sue.
    The victims are not going to base a winning claim over the bringing in of guns in his luggage. It's going to be based on the time between when the gunman shot at the security guard and now we learn the maintenance worker (who called hotel security, there's an audio recording on the news) and when Mandalay called the police. If they dithered or delayed at all, that could convince a jury in my opinion.

As for claims against Jason Aldean, the concert promoter, etc. those are not going anywhere.

The best claim is against Paddock's estate, but that won't be nearly enough to compensate so many victims.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,170 Senior Member
    I don't think the suits will be based on anything anyone did wrong, except of course for the claims against the estate of the shooter. They will be based on deep pockets, and money will be paid out. The story for why the hotel/band/promoter were liable can be made up later, and doesn't matter.

I suspect that everyone reacted as fast as humanly possible to a situation they didn't understand and could not have predicted. The reporting now is that the security guard was shot before the shooting out the window started. Was the hotel supposed to have deduced that the guest they checked on because he was drilling holes in the walls, and who then shot the security guy that checked on him, was about to commit a massacre? Of course not. But the hotel's insurance company will pay.

I
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    Here we go, did anyone doubt that there would be no new gun-control legislation as a result of this shooting?

NRA opposes bump fire stocks bills in Congress
    "These bills are intentionally overreaching and would ban commonly owned firearm accessories."
    "So far, Republican leadership in the House have echoed the calls. House Speaker Paul Ryan said Wednesday that he thought a regulatory change would be the "smartest, quickest fix.""
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/politics/nra-opposes-bump-stock-bills/index.html

"Commonly owned...." ;) ;)
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,692 Senior Member
    Where's the dislike button? Not that I'm surprised.