Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Need a recipe for a fancy looking but fairly easy dessert

Replies to: Need a recipe for a fancy looking but fairly easy dessert

• gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    @dadoftwingirls You're an overachiever. Lol
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,402 Senior Member
    Banana cream mousse-isn a la Magnolia Bakery.

Jello banana cream dessert cooked to directions. When cool stir . Gold in whipped cream (home made add vanilla and sugar to taste) Open box of vanilla wafers. cut two bananas

Get out a pretty crystal or glass bowl.

layer..banana cream/wafers /fresh bananas. Keep going until you run out of stuff. Put a few wafers on top artisitically. Needs about 3 hours to blend.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,402 Senior Member
    not golf...fold gently...whipped cream into banana pudding
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,244 Senior Member
    Luscious, impressive-looking, and easy:

Graham cracker crust (homemade or bought -- homemade is MUCH better and still easy, but a ready crust is good too)

Mix together 1 can sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup key lime juice (and zest from 1 if you have fresh limes)

Pour the mixture into the crust. That's it.

Heap a pint of fresh berries on the filling. I like blueberries, but blackberries or raspberries or any mixture would be delicious.

Melt half a cup of apple or red currant jelly in the microwave. Brush the liquid jelly over the berries as a glaze. Stick the pie in the fridge. Done.
  • dadoftwingirlsdadoftwingirls Registered User Posts: 675 Member
    @gearmom, here giving the male slacker perspective.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    edited October 10
    @dadoftwingirls I just going to put this out there. My grandfather did the cooking for his family. And My brother in law and his brother and his father all do the cooking. And it's gourmet like Emeril. Those Italian men picking up the slack for the slackers.

*and grandpa washed all the dishes. Probably to get some quiet time away from the 8 kids though.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,787 Senior Member
    @onward, you will have to tell us how much your dessert goes for. I hope it turns out well.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Registered User Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Those Italian men picking up the slack for the slackers.

My wife is Norwegian, and her idea of cooking is to boil some protein until it floats and then salt it. It took me a decade of Sunday morning phone calls to get my mom's red sauce correct. I have done all the cooking (when I have been home) for thirty years, to the rejoicing of all involved.

I know it is kind of late, but my favorite easy dessert that makes a nice visual impact is a Jalouise, which is a kind of fruit tart in a puff pastry crust. It should be easy to find a basic recipe on line. The usual is an apple brown butter filing with walnuts and maybe whipped cream on top, but I have done some for similar auctions with a strawberry compote filling, and topped it with sliced fresh berries, mint, powdered sugar and a drizzle of chocolate.

Real cooks make this with homemade puff pastry, but Peppridge Farm can be your friend, and I have never been able to tell the difference. Honestly, my favorite Jalouise is just a frozen puff pastry crust and a filling made of a couple cups of GFS frozen "blend o berries" with a bit of sugar and lemon juice.
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    Congratulations! That's awesome! And a whole lot of $$ for a cake!
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,805 Senior Member
    It’s a great fundraiser for a small club. I think it brought in over $4000 with the desserts and tickets.
  • busdriver11busdriver11 Registered User Posts: 14,199 Senior Member
    Oops, too late! I was going to say that Whole Foods makes phenomenal and gorgeous desserts. But you got $500 for yours, wow!
  • 3puppies3puppies Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    That sounds like a terrific fundraiser, and yummy! Congratulations! Good choice on chocolate with raspberries. I have to ask, were the other desserts all home made, too?
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,776 Senior Member
    Awesome!
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,805 Senior Member
    All but three desserts were homemade. We had chocolate cheesecake, carrot cake, crème brulee (12 ramekins), scones, vanilla cake, lemon cake, rum cake, strawberry pie, pumpkin pie torte, cinnamon rolls and a Harvey Wallbanger cake. One of the restaurants in town donated a jumbo sized cannoli cake and another place donated a fancy vanilla cake with frosted berries that looked divine.