Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

When do you get rid of your clothing?

Replies to: When do you get rid of your clothing?

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 52,285 Senior Member
    Regular clothes??
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,548 Senior Member
    I think she meant clothes that you wear regularly -- like what you wear to work -- as opposed to special occasion clothes.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 52,285 Senior Member
    I think most of us we are a combination of work clothes and “regular clothes”. I wear dresses, skirts and tunic top/leggings. Also jeans sweaters etc. Sometimes dressier slacks and jackets for everyday wear for dinner etc. Just a bit confused by the terminology
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 4,689 Senior Member
    I love clothes. I love to buy clothes. I have a lot of clothes. Lol!

I try to go through my clothes twice a year. I really have been trying to purge ruthlessly. 3 or 4 piles. One, stuff that is torn or stained, throw away. Actually when I stain stuff, I usually just throw it away then. 2, stuff to donate. 3, stuff to consignment shop. This is new, I used to just donate it. But now I do take it to consignment. I'm very picky and she accepts most of my stuff as long as it's in season. 4, high end athletic clothing that doesn't fit right. That I give to my d, she's smaller than me if she can't wear it, I ask her to give to gym friends.

I am trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to only buy clothes I love. I used to buy clothes on sale. Now I pay more but get what I really want.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 2,876 Senior Member
    I have been this size forever, so my reasons for getting rid of things are: 1) haven't worn it in a year; 2) it's out of fashion and isn't well made enough to look good when it comes back into style; 3) it isn't that comfortable or it requires some kind of weird foundational garment to look good; 4) I am buying a better or nicer version of it and would feel guilty if I kept it; 5) I see some obviously poor person in the grocery store and think, someone like that would probably love to find this at a thrift store while it is still in good shape and in style 6) every other thing in my wardrobe is navy blue and I can certainly spare this one item :D
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 12,460 Senior Member
    "Regular clothes" may be a regional thing. I heard it all the time growing up in the midwest. Regular clothes were for school or play, dress-up clothes were for church on Sundays.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,168 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Will the clothing deemed to be 'irregular' by default of not being 'regular' feel insulted or micro aggressed? Do we need to change the wording in oder to avoid offending certain clothing items.... :-O ?

One never knows these days and it's tough to keep up with it all.
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    I came across the suggestion years ago that, after you purge your closet, put everything in with the hangers facing backwards. As you wear an item, turn the hanger back around the 'correct' way and, in time, it will be obvious what you don't wear.

I purge a couple times a year and had never found the need to try that tactic. However, I went through menopause and my body changed a bit, resulting in my pants not all fitting comfortably any longer. Just last week, as I realized I had way too many pants and was sure I couldn't be wearing all of them, I went through and sent to GW the ones I knew I'd never wear and then put all the rest back in the closet with the hangers backwards. Each day I'm trying to wear a pair that is still on a backwards hanger so I can make sure I only have pants in my closet that I'm actually wearing. If they're uncomfortable, into the GW bag they go.

I agree with the idea that, if you haven't worn something for a year(ish), it's time to give it away for certain items like pants, tops, some sweaters and scarves but I don't apply that rule to dresses, shoes or jackets. I've had some staples for years and there are some years they're not worn but I'm very happy to have them when the need, however infrequent, arises.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Registered User Posts: 2,729 Senior Member
    Does anyone else have the sort of life that demands clothing far from what is ordinarily worn on rare occasion? I lead a very down to earth life of jeans, leggings and T shirts with a few nicer tops or sweaters for going out, and a rare outdoorsy dress. However every few years I visit someone in a big city, Europe or Asia and need nicer knits, more put together shoes. and casual elegance that is not part of my day to day, ever at home. It rather throws me for a loop, and I have an entire stock of these items. As I write, I am realizing that I need to separate these things into a separate drawer or bin, so I don't paw through them when searching for my standard items.
  • MagnetronMagnetron Registered User Posts: 2,201 Senior Member
    My wife has taken to ripping things in half that she wants me to get rid of. More than once I saw something of mine in the garbage and snuck it back into the rotation.

I try to keep approximately the same amount of clothing. If I buy five new dress shirts, then the five ones I like least get rotated to the donation pile. Anything high maintenance gets thrown out immediately, like collars and pocket flaps that curl funny, zippers that stop working, things that don't iron easily.

I work in a factory, "business dorky," and only dress better about once/month. I have three suits and the "new" one is from 2003. Guy fashion is considerably easier.
  • Writer1992Writer1992 Registered User Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    I don't like throwing out clothing unless it's absolutely ruined and can't be used even to sleep in. Even then, I'll give my dad old t-shirts so he can make them into rags for his work. I've lost a bunch of weight and so have donated bags and bags of clothing to different organizations over the past 1.5+ year. Plus, I've sent clothes to Mexico (worn and never worn) with my aunt to give out to family members as my old sizes are hard to find and really expensive in Mexico.

I have expanded my wardrobe a lot and love having different pieces for different occasions. I occasionally purge (donate) my old clothing when they get too big, when I know I won't wear it again, when I don't feel comfortable in it, etc. I admit, I have a hard time getting rid of clothes. It's sentimental, there are memories!
    I do have some valuable pieces that I may look into selling online, although I know nothing about that!
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 6,631 Senior Member
    In a prior life I had a corporate exec job. I'm still staring at all the nice heeled dress shoes that were the perfect shade for a specific suit. I think it's about time to finally throw those away. My feet hurt just looking at them:)

I have an aversion to giving used shoes away to Goodwill.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,463 Senior Member
    LOVE post #6 response!- even if it isn't the intended topic.

Regarding long term clothing issues. If you try to be fashionable get rid of the clothes you don't wear. If that fashion returns you will want the new variation. I am not fashionable and save the few dressy items I own for any special occasion (moved to a casual area). Give away clothes that become too large/small. They outdate before your weight changes.

If we need to go up north in the winter I will have very old clothes- the few I brought with when we made the Florida move. Who cares when the only occasion will be a funeral (father 91). Never had many clothes- or shoes. Lack of funds and things in my sizes (tall women and small men often have a lot of trouble finding clothes in their size). I simply do not understand owning many shoes that are only worn rarely. For me footwear needs to be comfortable (that eliminates most, especially heels). Matching an outfit is nowhere near as important as not hurting.

Decide how large your wardrobe needs to be. You may need/want a different outfit to not wear the same thing every week, two or more. When you buy new clothes remove an equal number from your wardrobe. I'm sure there are "mistakes"- those bought but never really liked as well as others.

When we moved I got rid of many things, including clothing. You get to the point that you take a picture of many things kept purely for sentimental reasons and let go of the item- including clothing.