Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

When do you get rid of your clothing?

conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 2,860 Senior Member
I'm going through my closets for the semi annual season switch. As I'm going through my fall and winter wardrobe, I have lots of pants, cordoroys and jeans that I have hung on to over the last several years. When do you finally let things go? A certain amount of time that you haven't worn, color, style. I'm guilty of thinking I might need that dress I bought 5 years ago and worn twice. Those are perfectly goid cordoroys, even if they aren't in style. Argh....

Replies to: When do you get rid of your clothing?

• missbwith2boysmissbwith2boys Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    I used to hang on to clothes for years. I've lost 60 lbs since the end of January so I'm dumping clothes left and right.

I've held on to one piece of clothing long term. It's a wool suit that I bought back in college for interviews. I should drag that out and see if it fits, because I might actually be too small for it now. If so, it'll get donated too.

I just picked up a pair of cords at Old Navy. They must be coming back into style!
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,189 Senior Member
    This is on my "to do" list. I think the rule of thumb is toss it (or donate) if you haven't worn it in a year. Or if it's stained or doesn't fit. It's tough especially if it was expensive or a gift from someone you see often. I have work outfits I'm going to toss simply because everyone at work has seen me in them too many times :)
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,677 Senior Member
    edited October 10
    I just wore a pair of slacks the other day that are very loose and baggy--time to donate as unfashionably "hanging." I will have to to thru my other slacks and probably donate others as well.

I have a lot more trouble with discarding tops, some of which I've had for decades. They are classics, so still ok to wear. I have donated a few but have to work harder at it because our small closet is still full.

Except when pregnant I've been about the same height and weight since I was a teen, so it's tough to discard "perfectly good things."
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,110 Senior Member
    I clear out when I make the semi-annual closet switch and when I buy something new I look to see what is old in that category and bin it. I went on a mini shopping spree a few weeks ago, came home and discarded several old pair of leggings and jeans. I also threw in the bag some sweaters I’m just not going to ever wear again.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,746 Senior Member
    When I'm cleaning closet I make three "go" piles:
    1. Great condition, brand and style - EBAY pile.
    2. Not stained and good condition, but nothing special - GOODWILL-type drop off at church.
    3. Stained and/or damaged - TRASH or rag pile!
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,868 Senior Member
    I was keeping a couple of really nice suits that I hoped my son would be able to wear someday. The last time he came home, he tried them on--and he'll never be big enough to wear them, so out they went. My biggest problem is with clothes that are a little bit too small, so that it's not outlandish to think that I'll be able to wear them if I lose a modest amount of weight.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 52,261 Senior Member
    I broke my ankle about 5 weeks ago and have been wearing long dresses that were in the back of the closet for years. I was desperately looking for an old denim dress that I needed to wear to a themed party, and feared I'd donated it. I was thrilled to find it in my s's closet (where other old clothes go to die). This has caused me to justify/rationalize keeping old clothes (even though I did rip out the big shoulder pads!)
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,173 Senior Member
    I am trying, but still fail at getting rid of stuff that is in good shape. I finally got rid of the shirts from a number of years ago when shirts were quite short and had to wear something under it, or constantly pull it down. The slightly too small or too big stuff is also a challenge, since I have not been the same size since I was in my 20s! On my to do list, but definitely not something I do well.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,589 Senior Member
    To answer the question in your title: trashed when there is a hole in the clothing. (Most of the time)

Otherwise it goes to Goodwill. (occasionally)