Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any Guesses on the New Amazon HQ?

Replies to: Any Guesses on the New Amazon HQ?

• LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,160 Senior Member
    Thus far, urban affairs experts have expressed some interesting opinions, including Southern Hope's point about rebuilding a city or having a huge say in promoting a mid-tier city's development. We're talking about billions of dollars of impact instigated by Amazon.

I'll guess that Philadelphia is on the table, one reason being its accessibility to Washington DC (an Amazon requirement) and direct flights to Seattle. Probably more important, Philadelphia has large tracts of attractive land available inside the city limits. The housing stock is also relatively affordable and SEPTA provides decent public transit options (when its workers are not on strike). Riverside locations on Philadelphia offer similarity to the South Lake Union neighborhood in Seattle. The negative is the relatively high income inequality level in Philadelphia (true of Atlanta, also).

From what I am reading thus far, urban planners give Denver an advantage. But I wonder why AZ HQ2 would be located in the west, as is Seattle.
  • lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,399 Senior Member
    Carlsbad, CA. I thought I saw it on the list.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 2,677 Senior Member
    Although I think somewhere near Boston is the top contender, I am throwing out Cincinnati as an option. A small city where they could make a big difference and close to Hebron where they just put their Amazon air fleet (the Cincinnati airport is in Hebron.) Also EST although pretty far west (I think they would want HQ2 geographically far from HQ1).
  • newjersey17newjersey17 Registered User Posts: 968 Member
    Amazon HQ will be in a state with 0 income state taxes.

I believe it will be Florida.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    ^^^Texas has no state income tax
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,692 Senior Member
    If I was Amazon management, I'd think about the natural disasters of late and the potential for more. To me, that would rule out FL. Business disruptions are not good. Yes, they can happen anywhere but certain parts of the country are more prone.

The only two states that don't impose some kind of state corporate or gross receipts tax are Wyoming and South Dakota and it's not going to be them.

As far as no personal income tax you have:

AK
    FL
    NH (does have an investment income tax)
    NV
    SD
    TN (does have an investment income tax)
    TX
    WA
    WY
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,730 Senior Member
    FL had its first big hurricane in a dozen years. Scripts brought a lab to Jupiter. Housing is nice and available down here.

Up thread, someone mentioned Detroit; what an asset to that city!
  • newjersey17newjersey17 Registered User Posts: 968 Member
    Heard it would be Orlando if it's in FL. They are on one of the safest FL list since they are inland/central and part of northern FL. Its also a thriving place that's for sure. It's also one of the top places where people are choosing to move to.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,879 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    My bet is not Pittsburgh, Denver (my least fav airport to fly in or out of,) Detroit, etc.

And not west coast or west, as that's their current main presence.

I don't think the primary mission is to revitalize any city, if it causes issues for employee satisfaction. (Workers will still want safety, some "destination city" atmosphere, cute housing.) Nor do I really think ease of fliying is a primary point, as few actual employees will move about. That will be more about execs and top marketkng staff.

At one point, I thought south of Boston. Choice of Logan or Providence airports when folks do travel. Lure of Boston. Mansfield, right off 95 and 495?
    But really, if I had to. my bet at this instant would be just off the 128 corridor or out 495, the brain trust there, multiple main routes into the city or down to Providence, on to NYC. Or up to Canada.

Problem? Weather. So Austin or Atlanta?
  • MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia Registered User Posts: 4,417 Senior Member
    I think Georgia has a good chance.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,692 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    Any large company looking for an HQ should consider educational quality - both in terms of attracting bright, capable new talent but also in terms of being an attractive place to raise young families. A lot of the places mentioned don't seem to fit that bill.

New England weather isn't a big deal, IMO. We deal with it all the time without much issue.

However, what about the Nashville area?
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,463 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    NOT Florida, including Tampa where we retired to. Weather- high heat and humidity. Transportation is horrible here- hopefully talk of a light rail system will finally get going. Schools. The only thing going for Florida is the lack of a state income tax and incentives. I can't see any young CS people wanting to live here compared to other places although the downtown area (evacuation area for hurricanes) will get the medical school basic sciences near the teaching hospital and there are young adult activities around.

California living expenses are so high- there is a reason Silicon Valley firms are opening offices in the Seattle area. Any city getting them can be prepared for housing to become much more unaffordable for the rest of the population. Either Amazon workers will change a city's culture or be low second choice. They do have jobs in several cities away from Seattle but no major campuses.

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,468 Senior Member
    Florida may not tax income, but it taxes everything else - services, property, entertainment tickets. My driver's license in Florida was $55, to replace it when lost was $32, while in Colorado it is $15 (I think). I found groceries cost much more in Florida, and gas. Colorado has a low income tax (5%) and pretty low property taxes.

I think Texas will win. Colorado will not fold on tax breaks to get the business. Georgia does weird things with tax breaks too.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,253 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    I would love Detroit to get it. You gotta root for Detroit.

As for Colorado (Denver) -- the infrastructure is already inadequate, the result of these low taxes and a state of denial that the state is booming. I can't imagine what it would be like if a company with 50,000 people moved in.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,468 Senior Member
    ^^Well, I think every state is hoping some of those 50,000 people won't be moving in, that many of them will already live there.