Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any Guesses on the New Amazon HQ?

LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,160 Senior Member
Let the bidding begin. Or should we say 'let the sweepstakes begin?'

This is going to be primarily about money, just like a sweepstakes for an NFL franchise. Only a few places are reasonably suited for the competition, I would think. Amazon is going to ask for huge subsidies and a cash strapped state can't offer that. New York already has a "Buffalo Billion" problem, and an Amazon facility in metropolitan New York City would be costly. Same is true of Washington DC and northern Virginia; too costly and limited public transportation. My guess is that Georgia will throw a basket full of cash at Amazon to get the company to relocate to Atlanta. Atlanta's advantage over Texas is that Atlanta is in the Eastern Time Zone. No point in building another HQ in the west.

Replies to: Any Guesses on the New Amazon HQ?

• bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,741 Senior Member
    I think of FL and Ariz.
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,380 Senior Member
    Minnesota thinks they have a shot at it. Midwest location with room to build and great access to air, rail and ground transportation. I just don't know where they would get the money.....
  • showmom858showmom858 Registered User Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    San Diego is trying to get them to come here.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    There's been a lot of press about it in the Boston area. Apparently someone is trying to entice them to come here.
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    An investment company recently bought a vacant former Sun campus site in metro Denver to try and woo Amazon.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,589 Senior Member
    UT Dallas is offering them land and partnership with the university.
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    Denver or Atlanta. Have heard peeps about Austin too but I think its unlikely.
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 1,754 Senior Member
    The word was Boston was already the place and Amazon was just floating the RFP as way to get a good deal. Denied, of course. Then I heard Denver because of several people on the committee who like to ski. Again, denied. I quasi-work in this field and if I were them, I'd choose Pittsburgh. Lots of reasons. if not there, I'd choose a town that could be transformed. Like St. Louis. Or Huntsville, AL.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,716 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    I wish they would locate within the triangle made by Portland, Portsmouth, and Manchester. The area is reasonably close to Logan, there's a reasonable airport in Manchester, I-95 is right there, it is very scenic and attractive with easily accessible outdoor activities in all seasons, there are educated workers and it would be very attractive to more, Plenty of educational institutions, lots of cultural activities in Portland (and of course in Boston, which would be easily accessible by train or car or bus, it could easily absorb more housing without becoming a traffic-clogged mess. And the area could use the jobs. I think it would be a lot better than cramming it into some already-congested metropolitan area.
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I agree Pittsburgh would be a great city for them. Tacoma too if they weren't looking for another foothold.
  • atomomatomom Registered User Posts: 4,364 Senior Member
    Kansas City
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    I don't think it will be any farther east than the Central Time Zone. The only exception would be Pittsburgh because of CMU.

Some of the cities would have little appeal for young techies. I don't think Amazon can think, "If we build it, they will come."

California is out. They is no reason to put a HQ in a state where the employer cannot minimally enforce non-compete agreements.
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    Philadelphia or Pittsburgh
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,613 Senior Member
    Detroit: Certainly a lot of available land, Wayne State in town and U Michigan not far away. Ability to tap into the Canadian labor market in Windsor.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 7,232 Senior Member
    Pittsburgh.