Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Boy Scouts accepting girls. Girl Scouts not happy.

Replies to: Boy Scouts accepting girls. Girl Scouts not happy.

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,493 Senior Member
    If people wanted a compromise they could have given Troops the option to decide for themselves if they wanted to be co-ed or not. I would imagine then there would be some all boy Troops/packs.

From what I read, the choice will be up to the troops. The LDS, which is the largest supporter of troops in the country, will not have co-ed troops.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,218 Senior Member
    Yes, female-only subjects. Things that the girls would not be comfortable discussing with boys in the room. Hygiene, body changes, emotions. Healthy Habits, Looking Your Best, Babysitting, Savvy Shopper, Room Makeover, Dinner Party. While I know there were many that could be co-ed, I just don't think most boys would be interested, certainly not my son or his friends.

And yes, there were many open-style meetings that the girls wanted to discuss hygiene products, bras and appropriate dressing for certain occasions. There was a fine line here for leaders but when it got down to just 4-6 girls/women, all the moms were friends and no topic was off-limits.
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    We have a boy and a girl who both participated in scouting. In our area the GS program is much better than the BS program.

Girl Scouts - D went to meetings every couple weeks after school with occasional fun outings including camping. I picked her up after meetings and was cookie mom for several years. D earned regular badges, marched in parades and generally had lots of fun. She stayed with it from kindergarten through to high school.

Boy Scouts - Meetings once a month on Sunday evenings. Parental attendance was required. For the first half of the meeting the kids went outside and played while the parents watched a power point presentation. Yes there was a power point presentation every meeting. Then the kids would come in and we would do some arts and crafts activity. S hated it. I hated it. We kept thinking it was going to get better but it never did. S never went camping or did anything outdoorsy other than the summer camp we sent him to. He quit after a couple years.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,493 Senior Member
    There are also issues of leadership. Many people choose single sex education because they feel it gives the students more leadership roles, more chances for the students, especially girls, to explore subjects like STEM the have been traditionally male dominated. My nephew went to an all male school and enjoyed the experience. There is a girls' division to his school but they keep everything separate. In the early years they had a joint track team but decided they didn't like it.

Having co-ed troops might work for families that have boys and girls of similar ages, but I bet that for the majority the girls will be in girl scouts and the boys in boys scouts.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,968 Senior Member
    My future son-in-law is an executive with the national leadership of BSA, and I was a Girl Scout all the way through high school. I think this is a shame. I have kids of both genders and strongly support single gender activities and spaces.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    There have been a few girls on our troop's multi-day backpacking trips, and they often put the guys to shame. I know because I was there, along with another mom to meet youth protection guidelines. These kids were high school age and knew each other from school, so spending time together on a co-ed campout was not an issue for them. As a mother of two boys, I agree that most cubs scouts would be happier in single-sex dens.

One girl I know earned the Gold Award and the Venture Award. I could see motivated girls participating in both groups.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,063 Senior Member
    Every time I got a chance to give feedback to the GS org, I would suggest they run commercials promoting their Gild Award recipients. It would increase the visibility of the award, showcase some great young women and their accomplishments, and maybe create some of the "pull" that Eagle has for boys who come into the BS organization with the goal of reaching that level. Their response was that they didn't wasn't to spend their ad $ that way, "too expensive". That, of course, was back when people watched TV & saw commercials. :)

I think Eagle is a great accomplishment-- but I admit that it annoys me when people fawn over Eagle recipients, and women who did something quite similar are all around us without getting similar recognition.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    My son is the SPL for his boy scout troop. One of the parents shouted the news to him before the game. He just yelled back "Cool." This lines up with most scouting groups in the world which are coed. They already have girls in the Venture program.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,122 Senior Member
    I think the Boy Scouts need bodies because of all the years being anti LBGTQ and sticking with the believing in God stuff. This decision largely due to trying to survive in a changing world - one in which they’ve been behind the eight ball.

• gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    @emilybee The only reason the Boy Scouts did not include girls earlier was because of the Girl Scouts. It is largely the Mormon faction that slowed the LBGTQ. And certainly there is no need to be disrespectful to people who are religious with the "God stuff." Wanting tolerance but not being tolerant?
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,588 Senior Member
    @emilybee I think you've got that backwards, the Boy Scouts need bodies because all the LDS and Catholic troops are pulling out because of the change in policies.
    Doesn’t matter who it was that resisted the changes - the effect was that it turned off millions of other families from allowing their kids to be scouts.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 4,588 Senior Member
    Yes, now those families are turning to The American Heritage Girls and Trail Life...
    But there are many, many, many more millions of families who won’t particpate in either BSA or the two others.

If BSA did away with their discriminating practices years ago - the largest generation of kids would have been allowed to join. I, along with others had to pull my kid out when he was in first grade when they refused to change their stance on allowing gays to join. Those kids are now having kids but scouting was not in their “DNA” so they aren’t choosing it as an activity for their kids either.

This discussion has been closed.