Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Thanksgiving 2017

raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,222 Senior Member
Yes it's hard to believe but Thanksgiving will be here in about three weeks.
Let's share our tips and recipes for this special day.
I found these cute ideas to make pie crust more decorative.
It's called, "Decorative Pies 6 Ways."

https://www.tastemade.com/videos/decorative-pies-6-ways

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• lje62lje62 Registered User Posts: 5,559 Senior Member
    My favorite holiday ! Haven't given it much thought yet because it's looking like it will only be 3 of us this year, but I do all the cooking regardless.
    I was just up in Boston and went to Haymarket with my daughter and found a squash I have never heard of ( honey nut ) I don't think the ones I bought will make it to Thanksgiving , but I should probably try to get some more...and perhaps an Eastham turnip :)
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Registered User Posts: 4,200 Senior Member
    ^ha! Otherwise you'll be eating raw turkey!

I make these every year. They're from the Silver Palate cookbook (but couldn't find it when I googled). Kids love them.
    http://www.silverspoonrecipes.com/ginger-candied-carrots/
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,357 Senior Member
    I realized it was 3 weeks from today. Ug. Really hope the DIL is making plans for this :)

I was so happy to hand it off the year they got married. In her excitement, I'm sure she didn't realize it was hers from then on!

As for recipes, the family favorite--green bean casserole. Now you all can judge me!
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,671 Senior Member
    Just found out that the person who usually hosts thanksgiving is opting out this year...and feeling like maybe I need to pick up the slack....eeeeeeeeeee
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,222 Senior Member
    With 76 degree weather I am not able think about a thanksgiving meal so soon. It just doesn't feel like the holiday season yet.
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,805 Senior Member
    Move here, Raclut. 42 degrees for our high. I'll trade!
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,773 Senior Member
    edited November 2
    Last night, we had dinner at our favorite restaurant. The mashed potatoes that came with the steak were beyond delicious! There were surprisingly very little of them... Our waiter disclosed the little secret: the potatoes were made with equal weights of potatoes and... butter. :D I think I will try to recreate them for Thanksgiving!

The waiter said the trick is to introduce the butter into the potatoes skooooowly... or it will melt and float to the top. I will give it a shot! :)

I am stocking up on chanterelles as those are Mr.'s favorite food!
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    ^^WHOA. :)
    Meanwhile, Trader Joes has overloaded with their seasonal items already. They already have the gingerbread stuff out for sale. The manager said they got 360 new products.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,120 Senior Member
    Once again my cousin on Long Island, the worse possible traffic in the world to have to deal with on Thanksgiving, called dibs for Thanksgiving. After a number of responses were no’s, she sent an email to everyone with just two words, “poor attendance”. I thought that was nervy since her H has a rule that he will only cross the bridge 3 times a year for family functions.

H’s father is having surgery on the 17th so we can’t commit anyway given we don’t know if we will have to be dealing with my MIL, who has dementia and his recovery issues.

edited November 2
    I want to avoid the crowded grocery store parking lots if possible. Perhaps I should make my menu now and stock up on things that I can beforehand. Trader Joe's parking lots are the worst.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,773 Senior Member
    Our new windows install got delayed... if they leave the house in construction mess during thanksgiving, I am going to go nuts!!!
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,808 Senior Member
    This is going to be hard. My dad is going to be out of town, working. My mom is an absolute mess since my sister cut my parents out of her life.

I'm going to spend the long weekend with my mom but I'm prepping for prelims in mid-December so I'm not going to be good company. But I'll be there for her.

I'll probably get a small dinner catered or something. I don't want her to have to cook. It'll just be my mom and me and maybe mom's brother (Mr R only has T'giving off). We always go Black Friday shopping even though the deals have sucked the last few years. I'll try to get her to go this year as it's tradition.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,902 Senior Member
    edited November 2
    My girls want to be in charge. At D1's, with D2 making the turkey. No, she's never done one before.