Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Thanksgiving 2017

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,644 Senior Member
    Love the sound effects in that link.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,924 Senior Member
    That NYT link is a very monochromatic meal. They need a green veggie or something. :)
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 18,052 Senior Member
    ^^I loved watching that Thanksgiving step by step ....don't you want to feel that calm,cool, collected on Thanksgiving?! ;)

I actually saved that fennel salad to my NYT recipe box last week and am thinking of making it for Turkey Day.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 36,193 Senior Member
    I am like @abasket - I have to have a green salad on our Thanksgiving table. Our menu is usually simple:
    Turkey on the grill
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potatoes (boiled, cubed, tossed with butter and a dash of brown sugar in a pan)
    Corn casserole (thank you all!) - this is new :)
    Roasted veggies with fennel and apple (2009 Seattle Times)
    Gravy with chanterelles
    Chanterelles without anything else - pan-fried with butter (this is what Mr. looks forward to)
    Cornbread muffins (my cat asks for them)
    Homemade cranberry sauce (simple)
    Green salad (usually with pomegranate seeds and red onions)
    Brussel sprouts with pears and bacon (new this year)

Will bake a quince and apple pie with vodka crust. And ice cream.

• shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 2,969 Senior Member
    I always make a green salad, even though I'm the only one who eats it. I'm cooking so it's my choice.
    Mr. B says he too likes having a green salad because it prevents him from filling his plate with too much of the other stuff. Of course, he always goes back for seconds. :)
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,644 Senior Member
    Yeh, no magic in avoiding Tday calories.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,674 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    My problem with Thanksgiving vegetables is that I love too many things that are creamy/mashed/pureed: garlic mashed potatoes, Himmel und Erde (A puree of potato and turnip with caramelized onion and apple with some beef stock), sweet potatoes with either bourbon and butter and nutmeg or citrus and ginger, and of course creamed spinach.

I love brussels sprouts browned in butter, but H said he was tired of sprouts and GF's father doesn't like them.There goes my non-creamy green vegetable. :) I am one of those people who does not do salad on Thanksgiving.

BTW, I dug out my favorite, really delicious corn pudding recipe, which is on an ancient xerox of a page from Food&Wine: Corn Pudding with Cheese and Chiles. It's more like a quiche filling, although it does have 3T of cornstarch. And it cooks in a bain marie. I may try steaming it in a slow cooker instead....unless I could sneak it into the oven with the turkey at the end.

• snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,805 Senior Member
    I tried a green salad one year, and you would have thought I put dog poo on the table :O Everyone avoided it, saying they could eat salad any other day, but Thanksgiving day food was only once a year! I like to have loose food on the plate and not just casseroles or things that look like blobs on the plate, so we will have green beans and/or brussel sprouts.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 18,052 Senior Member
    Problem with people: a green salad doesn't mean rabbit food, it can be really interesting! Wonderful ingredients. Delicious cheese. A from scratch flavorful dressing.

Don't people want different textures in their mouth other than soft, creamy,mushy?!!!!
    I add pomegranate seeds and some thinly sliced persimmons to the green salad for festive color.
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,856 Senior Member
    We always have a salad! Slightly bitter mixed greens, fresh pear or apple, dried cranberries, candied pecans, GOOD blue cheese, champagne vinaigrette - clearly the salad haters have never had a real delicious salad!
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,674 Senior Member
    Oh, I completely agree that salads can be interesting and wonderful.

They just don't say Thanksgiving to me.

Might do it this year, though. This salad, from Cold Weather Cooking, is fabulous and Thanksgiving-y. Or one could do a simpler version, by using plain toasted pecans instead of making sugar-spiced pecans, for example:

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/314308/mixed-greens-with-spiced-pecans
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,856 Senior Member
    Consolation, is this similar to your recipe for corn pudding?

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-corn-pudding-with-roasted-red-pepper
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,335 Senior Member
    We ALWAYS have a green salad at our family gatherings and it often has to be refilled, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes we have several different green salads, as it's such a hit!