Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Thanksgiving 2017

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 33,930 Senior Member
    Brave young lady. The worst part about cooking a turkey is that it takes over the oven so one has to be creative with side dishes if there is only one oven.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 33,930 Senior Member

Sounds like the stuff we ate! The waiter was a bit off. It is 2:1 potatoes: butter, not 1:1. :) A little healthier. :D
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,293 Senior Member
    I can't believe it's only three weeks away. October flew by. I guess I'm hosting again. (Lol- I've hosted somewhere between 25 and 30 years in a row now.)

The dishes that go the fastest are the hash brown casserole and the mashed potatoes. If I make them 2:1 potatoes:butter, they will probably go even faster! I've gone smaller and smaller on the turkey. Several vegetarians and a general love of side dishes in our group of 16-20.
  • MarilynMarilyn Registered User Posts: 3,014 Senior Member
    I have a liver pate recipe that's about 50-50 butter. Also ditto for a lemon butter mousse recipe. I do know that mashed potatoes keep improving as the butter is added.

Not sure what we'll do for Thanksgiving since DS is staying in Seattle (he will be down for a week in December). DH just had shoulder surgery yesterday and says he doesn't want to make definite plans until he knows how he feels. I do have a folder full of Thanksgiving recipes but we don't normally go to the effort for just the two of us. As a precaution I made reservations at a very nice venue on Mission Bay for afternoon brunch. If I'm lucky that will be our default.
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Excited that it's our turn to host this year. We rotate so it's just about every 4 years so we travel most years. Happy to be home. We'll have 19, I think. and dh does most of the cooking. I do much of the shopping, decorating, prepping, etc. Two relatives stay with us, and my d's who live out of town will be here too. More than the actual meal, what I find a bit stressful is finding activities for such a large group that appeal to young, old, etc. If the weather is good, I've got some good ideas for walks in scenic areas; when the weather isn't good, it's tougher. Modern art museum for the high school junior? Not a big hit.

Dh makes a rice stuffing that's fabulous. In addition to turkey, he makes a prime rib (since he doesn't like turkey). Salad, veggies, a sickly sweet yam dish, roll and, of course, lots of pies round out the meal.
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 2,816 Senior Member
    It'll only be 3 of us this year, but I'm sure we'll Skype with S1, DIL, and grandbaby sometime during the day. S2 will probably get leftovers to take home with him. Not sure about sides yet.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    We have an extremely low key Thanksgiving. Just the four of us. Just a few favorite easy to make dishes.

I'm so grateful because my personality and big production do not go well together.
  • runnersmomrunnersmom Registered User Posts: 1,810 Senior Member
    This year we travel to my sister's and there will be 12 of us, unless my nephew brings some teammates. Two of my nieces are on the west coast and will stay and celebrate with their boyfriends, and my recently married S will be with his in-laws. Thanksgiving is the premier holiday of the year in our family, so we will be missing those four, but life is as it is. So far we have 4 pies, but I'm sure that number will increase before the big day. I'll travel with soup, brussel sprouts, and at least one pie, with my other sisters dealing with the rest of the meal. I love Thanksgiving!
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 2,994 Senior Member
    Ha ha. Cute ideas? I'll be happy to just get through the day with a crowd to feed and a very inadequate kitchen.
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,293 Senior Member
    @raclut I love those cookies, just plain, colorful without icing. I may have to try a batch.
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,145 Senior Member
    Our family tradition (started about 12 years ago) is to go to our vacation place. Since our folks (mine and H's have passed away) we are the ones who host Thanksgiving. We'll have 11 people this year (both my daughters and their spouse/boyfriend plus son-in-law's father and his girlfriend and three others--all friends of my daughters. These three have family in California and have been coming to Thanksgiving at our house for many years. Highlight of Thanksgiving Day is the Cold Turkey Plunge where people go down to the beach (we're on an island) and jump into the cold water. (It's a fundraiser for the local library.) I don't go in the water--I'm usually the official towel holder. It's a fun event where people wear crazy costumes and there's a live turkey walking through the crowd. We haven't come up with a menu yet except H has ordered a heritage breed, organic turkey. We also have 1 vegan and 3 vegetarians and we rely on them to come up with a main dish that they can eat. My H does the turkey and uses an outside gas grill.
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 2,994 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Adding..........they really are cute ideas though!