Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Thanksgiving 2017

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 25,817 Senior Member
    @Bromfield2 we had a live turkey walk through our backyard last month, before joining a friend and flying off. I'm in a residential neighborhood at the edge of the city, so it was completely unexpected, though there are all sorts of creatures in the nearby river park.

But it was beautiful (maybe more so for being wild.) I had a moment thinking vegetarian might be the way to go.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 33,872 Senior Member
    Ever since we got our gas Weber, I always make my turkey on the gas grill using the Reluctant Gourmet's grilling method with that three-way flip, and the bird comes out juicy and tasty.
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 7,998 Senior Member
    I feel fortunate that the first woman I met in FL still invites me to Tday meal. Since my son has started dating, after college, he feels free to join the g/f's family. When he did come home one year, we ate at g/f's house at noon, then had a large family meal at 6:00, then he went out with friends. By now, he just assumes I'll be busy, so he pleases the g/f.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 17,211 Senior Member
    OMG 4 pies, 8 pies....CAN I PLEASE COME OVER?!!!!

I adore pie. :)

I'm going to have to tell my extended family that our 2 or maybe 3 pies is NOT cutting it!!!!

(when you have more than three, what types are typical - like a variety or 2 pumpkin, 2 pecan, 2 apple....)
    edited November 2017
    I'd be lucky if Mr. allows me to bake one pie. :) He started a major war campaign against desserts lately.
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,408 Senior Member
    This maybe off topic but I will go ahead and mention this. Holidays are not just time with family and friends but a time of helping out those in need. We each have our own way of doing that. I read an article about a boy that is terminally ill and may not make it to Christmas. All he wants is for people to send him Christmas cards. (if possible homemade) I have posted an article with the address if anyone is interested in doing this. Again, did not mean to derail the thread.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 25,817 Senior Member
    I've volunteered part of the last two Tdays, at hospice. I'm already involved. But it's worth thinking how we share, how we put ourselves out there, what effort.
  • runnersmomrunnersmom Registered User Posts: 1,800 Senior Member
    @abasket, our pie selection is not exciting, but includes some variation of apple, pumpkin, lemon meringue, Mexican cinnamon chocolate, cherry, and possibly another fruit variety. Only once have we had multiples of the same pie and I think that was the year we had about 30 people for Thanksgiving.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,591 Senior Member
    @runnersmom I beg to differ. Your pie list sounds very exciting! I love pie!
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,150 Senior Member
    We are having Thanksgiving at the apartment of my S and his GF in New Hampshire for the second year in a row, since their working schedules do not permit them to come here. Last year, she ended up having to fly to France at the last minute because a grandparent died, so it was just the 3 of us. This year, both sets of parents are coming, and staying in a B&B a few minutes walk away. I am cooking, with GF as sous chef. The other set of parents won't be arriving until early afternoon on Thursday, and it is GF's mother's birthday that day, so GF wants us to make a cake. Luckily I gave her a couple of good cake pans and a hand mixer last year! And a stick blender. And a turkey platter. And my spare nutmeg grater. :D

I'm going to make pies here and bring them, because there is only one oven. I guess I'm making pecan, which S and GF love although I don't. The recipe I found last year was really a hit with GF:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237496/chef-johns-pecan-pie/?internalSource=rr_recipe_a&referringId=12170&referringContentType=recipe&clickId=cardslot 6

I'll also make a low carb pumpkin cheesecake for my benefit, and probably apple.

Sides will probably be creamed spinach (my favorite), garlic mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes with either butter/nutmeg/bourbon or orange/fresh ginger/lemon rind, and something else. GF says her father doesn't like brussels sprouts, so we'll see. And stuffing, of course.
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    ^^that salad sounds delicious! Although I do like cooked brussel sprouts better than raw...wonder how that would work with cooked and served room temperature. May try that this week.

Pies: we always have pecan (step dad was from Mississippi and his parents had pecan farms and sent us bags growing up so pecan pie has been a Thanksgiving tradition for just about as long as I can remember), chocolate, apple and pumpkin. Once in awhile we have a lemon meringue pie too. Dh's family has a pumpkin chiffon pie recipe that's delicious and dh makes it every year. Not sure my side's traditionalists don't miss the basic version.
    I think cooked sprouts will be even better! I found a different version of that pear and Brussel sprouts dish - oven roasted.

• FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,592 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    We host Thanksgiving every year and it's our favorite holiday. D, S and SIL will all be there and S is bringing a friend. In addition some close friends celebrate with us every year. The total number should be around 20 at our house!
    H is the head chef and does turkey, dressing and most of the sides. I bake the pumpkin pies and a corn casserole recipe from a fellow cc'er that has become a requested favorite. Friends bring appetizers and additional sides/desserts.
    There is always plenty of wine!

D,SIL, S ,his friend and I will run the Turkey Trot in the AM.