Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Thanksgiving 2017

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    ^ As I say , I got the recipe from a fellow cc'er. I think maybe @NorthMinnesota .
  • my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,896 Senior Member
    Here's cranberry sauce recipe that I first heard about here on CC. It has become a staple at our Thanksgiving dinners.

Cranberry-Tangerine Conserve (can be made 4 days in advance)

Finely grated zest of 3-4 tangerines
    2 cups fresh tangerine juice
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (can also substitute 1 tsp grated fresh ginger)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    4 cups cranberries

In a saucepan over high heat, combine the tangerine zest, 1 1/2 cups of the tangerine juice, sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.( I go lower than medium because my stove gets very hot) Add the cranberries and cook until the mixture starts to bubble, 5-7 minutes longer.

Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup tangerine juice and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the juices are syrupy but not too thick, 10-15 minutes. The syrup will continue to thicken as the conserve cools.

Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Serve at room temperature. Makes about 6 cups. Can be doubled.

**I've also successfully used clementines instead of tangerines and cut down on the sugar a bit.
  • rom828rom828 Registered User Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    Our kids would start a riot if we did not make that corn casserole on Thanksgiving. We definitely add the cheese.
  • 4MyKidz4MyKidz Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    I make a green chile mac n cheese for thxgiving. The family likes the spicy twist to an old favorite! Even though my mom advised me early on in my marriage, Thanksgiving is not for trying new recipes...sorry Mom!
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 7,276 Senior Member
    My D and I just practiced the yummy Brussels sprouts, bacon, pear salad mentioned above. It was excellent and we voted to add it to the Thanksgiving menu. Although I think I’ll cook the Brussels sprouts just a tad for the salad. They just didn’t have a robust flavor when raw.
  • JAM113JAM113 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    @4MyKidz , I agree that Thanksgiving is not a time for trying all new recipes, but every so often I find something that sounds interesting. I decided that adding one new item doesn't rock the boat, as long as all the other traditional items are still there.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 17,957 Senior Member
    I made the corn casserole last night for a small family dinner - just had to try it!!! Very, very good!

I agree to adding the optional TSB of sugar. I just did a light sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top because our main chicken dish also had a little cheese in it. I just saw this recipe highlighted this morning on one of my fav blogs...it's a little different - cream instead of sour cream, etc. - but I would could see some of these additions - scallions and/or cayenne adding some pep to the dish too. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baked-corn-pudding-casserole-250962
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 35,910 Senior Member
    Thanks, abasket! That looks delicious. I always had a problem with how to incorporate corn into my Thanksgiving menu. These casseroles will do the trick. Although I will bake some corn muffins - for my cat who missed the message that she is supposed to eat grain-free. :)
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,814 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Mr. Sabaray and I had a talk last night and while we are eating at home, he understands the menu will be a bit more "limited" than what we've had in the past. Anyone have any turkey recipes that use cutlets? I was thinking of something along these lines: https://www.marthastewart.com/318088/pan-seared-turkey-cutlets-with-wine-sauc

I'm making pumpkin donut muffins for post-Turkey Trot, but have already decided on sticky toffee pudding for dessert. @abasket has already informed me that the sauce is not needed for date cake to be delicious, but I am all about the sauce!

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/date-cake-with-toffee-sauce/

• Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,542 Senior Member
    If anyone wants a simple cornbread recipe to go with chili, just buy a box of Jiffy Cornbread mix and a box of Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. You mix both all together with all the ingredients called for on each box.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 17,957 Senior Member
    Haha @sabaray - just so people don't think I'm no fun when it comes to sweets, I just would like to confirm that I would choose a big dollop of freshly whipped cream on that date cake!!!

Also, my kids request pumpkin donut muffins every fall. I made my batch a couple weeks ago.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,310 Senior Member
    Yesterday, we got invited to D2's SO's parents' for Tday. Sounds great. I doubt they're foodies, but suspect that might make it all feel homey.

I may bring a chocolate babkallah for them to hang on to. Made one for them for last Xmas and the dad loved it. It wasn't sweet enough (bought the great chocolate Consolation recommended, but by mistake, unsweetened. I added sugar, but not enough.) This year, will be savvier.
  • C3BakerC3Baker Registered User Posts: 721 Member
    @sabaray @abasket Can you share the pumpkin donut muffin recipe? That sounds fabulous!

Also - a question about the corn casserole recipe. What size casserole dish? I would like to take it for Thanksgiving at my brother's. It's a crowd of 25-30 people, so would probably need to double the recipe. Would a 13x9 pan work?
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,814 Senior Member
    These are the ones I make, @C3Baker: https://www.marthastewart.com/331754/pumpkin-doughnut-muffins

I think a 13x9 dish would work for a double recipe of the corn casserole.