Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Thanksgiving 2017

Replies to: Thanksgiving 2017

• JAM113JAM113 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    That date cake looks amazing!
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,935 Senior Member
    @sabaray pumpkin donut muffin recipe looks the same as mine. I use a mini muffin pan to make them more "bite size".

When we made the corn casserole last night I used an oval 13x9-ish size pan and a single recipe filled it - it was A LOT!
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,472 Senior Member
    @Marilyn What is crushed cranberry sauce, exactly?
  • MarilynMarilyn Registered User Posts: 2,941 Senior Member
    @Midwest67 - I just use Ocean Spray Whole Berry Sauce and smoosh it a bit. I put the rest of the can out in a bowl and it usually gets eaten, although I admit we traditionally serve the jelled sauce also. I'm sure any kind of homemade cranberry sauce would work beautifully.
  • raclutraclut Registered User Posts: 3,324 Senior Member
    I bought lots of pomegranates. Don't know what I'm going to do with them but I got them for 69 cents each and couldn't resist. I may freeze some of them.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,866 Senior Member
    I prefer jellied cranberry sauce. Sad, I know. :)
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    I have a big crowd this year and last year it took forever to get the potatoes peeled and cooked for mashing. Has anyone made the mashed potatoes the night before and re-heated? I tried reheating in microwave 1 year but it took too long to get hot and came out gluey. Would a slow cooker work to reheat? Any tips would be appreciated. I use Ina Garten's buttermilk mashed potato recipe - I've tried many versions and this is a favorite.
  • gosmomgosmom Registered User Posts: 1,652 Senior Member
    Peel your potatoes the night before and cover completely in cold water until ready to cook. Or, if you have a big crowd, buy extra potato peelers!
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,544 Senior Member
    ^ So happy your S will be home @ChoatieMom !

@Marilyn - that Cranberry Brie sounds awesome. My friends bring the appetizers on Thanksgiving, but I saved that recipe anyway.
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    I turn 50 on thanksgiving day. Last year i hosted 14 people. Not this year!

we are hosting 16 relatives from both sides at a very elegant, quiet steak house. Pies in the evening at our house.

It's pricey! But I do not care. I just didnt want to spend the time it takes to prep for thanksgiving, and my mom cant host all in her house (and husbands parent's wouldnt come to that either). I'm looking forward to it all! might even wear a skirt.

(would it be rude to tell guests they are on their own for wine? We are not asking for $ for the event - just telling everyone it's covered; but if anyone offers to chip in $ for their dinner we wont turn it down.)

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,981 Senior Member
    I think it’s fine to say you aren’t hosting any alcoholic beverages. It’s very nice of you to treat everyone to a meal as it is!
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,077 Senior Member
    bgbg4us: If you are the host and invited 16 relatives to Thanksgiving dinner at a steak house then I think you shouldn't take money for the meal from anyone, unless they give you $$ ahead of time. If they give you $$ when the bill arrives, the other guests would be confused or, at the least, embarrassed into giving $$. If you aren't going to pay for wine, then tell folks ahead of time that wine is on them so that they'll bring cash or have a credit card.