right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Brock Turner appealing his conviction

greenwitchgreenwitch 8726 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
The older threads have been closed, so I'm starting a new one.

Brock Turner is appealing his conviction, based in part on too much emphasis on the word "dumpster".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/us/brock-turner-appeal.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=none&state=standard&contentPlacement=1&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/us/brock-turner-appeal.html&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0
Mr. Turner’s appeal takes issue with the prosecutor Alaleh Kianerci’s many references to the Dumpster during the trial, particularly her repeated use of the phrase “behind the Dumpster.”

The appeal said the use of the phrase “implied an intent on the appellant’s part to shield” his activities from others and “implied moral depravity, callousness, and culpability on the appellant’s part because of the inherent connotations of filth, garbage, detritus and criminal activity frequently generally associated with Dumpsters.”

And there's this -
About 60 pages focus heavily on how intoxicated the victim, known as Emily Doe, was on the night of the attack.

232 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Brock Turner appealing his conviction

• greenwitchgreenwitch 8726 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    CF - Aaron Persky tried to get a stay in the recall phase and was rejected.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13143 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Of course it’s going to be appealed. That is what defendants who can afford it pay their lawyers to do.
    · Reply · Share
  • GreatKidGreatKid 628 replies16 threadsRegistered User Member
    This makes my blood boil!
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18483 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    About 60 pages focus heavily on how intoxicated the victim, known as Emily Doe, was on the night of the attack.

Irrelevant.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8726 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well it is relevant in that he was convicted of sexual assault of an unconscious person. So I don't get why he would want to highlight how drunk she was because it only underscores what he did!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16626 replies66 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As Hanna says appeals happen everyday. I would think he would focus on getting the registry lifted but perhaps there is a timeline or a process they are following. The registry was the most severe punishment.
    · Reply · Share
  • QuantMechQuantMech 7924 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    So for the lawyers--I started reading the text of the appeal until it got to be too much for me. But apparently one of the issues was that character witnesses on behalf of the accused, to testify to his reputation for veracity, were not permitted. My question for the lawyers is: If these character witnesses were permitted, could the prosecution introduce information about Turner's reported attempt to run away when being given a ticket for minor-in-possession and about the reported messages about drugs on his cell phone? (For "reported" read "alleged," if that is technically better.). Or would the prosecution have to limit the discussion to the issue of veracity?

I realize that a lot of the people in this case were not Stanford students. However, it does take the keen edge off the desire for anyone in my family to go to Stanford.

I hope everyone on this thread is familiar enough with my view on this and related cases that I don't need to reiterate it here. The actions of the men are reprehensible. I am 100% in agreement with Cardinal Fang (with the exception of technicalities based on the definition of "rape" in California vs. the Department of Justice definition of rape, which complicates things slightly). Thanks for the bike trip you took to the scene of the crime, CF.

My spouse reminded me recently in a completely unrelated case that the lawyer has to do what the client wants. I don't know enough about legal ethics to be sure, but presumably any given lawyer (not government appointed) could decline to take a case?
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55359 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ah, thanks to @QuantMech for letting me know why no one seemed to respond when I posted this in the “mothers defend sons accused of sexual assault” yesterday afternoon! :-O
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33295 replies767 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    He is unrepentant. He is a privileged white male who has never had to pay for a single thing he's done and thus thinks he's untouchable.

This conviction is an outlier and he believes it was wrong. That he might have to pay for his actions is incomprehensible to him.
    · Reply · Share
  • LeastComplicatedLeastComplicated 1026 replies36 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^South Africa, not Australia for the Pistorius case. Sorry for nit-picking @MYOS1634, but part of his defense was the high crime rate in South Africa.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41785 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, sorry! Not nitpicky, I used the wrong country entirely, and even the wrong continent! :)
    Do you know if such a thing is possible in us law though?
    · Reply · Share