Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

2017 Scrooge thread

thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 67,898 Senior Member
edited December 2017 in Parent Cafe
Ok...I am enjoying my holiday morning...but...did anyone else get a gift they truthfully don’t want or need... but can’t get rid of or exchange?

I don’t really watch TV much. DH bought a new large TV for our family gift. Keep in mind...I’m the only other person who lives here. I’m sure he will enjoy it...and that’s fine...but I sure won’t!

And I did NOT get my tickets for the vacation to Hawaii in my stocking.

Bah humbug.

Replies to: 2017 Scrooge thread

• aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 8,875 Senior Member
    Haven’t opened gifts yet, I have to finish cooking!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,353 Senior Member
    I just love to watch everyone else open their gifts -- especially the ones I bought for them. Everyone was happy with what I got, so I'm happy. My expectations for what I myself will receive are very low. So I'm never disappointed.

Seriously, my DH and both sons were very thoughtful.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 30,849 Senior Member
    I’m excited and hope my loved ones will enjoy what we got them.

Our kids bought us a water rower for exercise and is having it shipped to our home. We were able to try it out at my folks’ retirement community and agreed we would use it and find space for it in our home.
    Wait, your D’s in NYC but also in HI? That’s confusing but glad you’re happy and will be seeing her.
  • coolweathercoolweather Registered User Posts: 5,560 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    I gave toys to young kids, cash (brand new bills, no re-gifted bills) to teens and young adults. I don't give gift to older relatives.
  • JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,464 Senior Member
    ^ @HImom - I edited it to read she'D been in NYC - past. Now in HI - (I re-read before I post, but that one slipped by)
    Well, it’s nippy for us here, so you may wish to bring a light jacket for A/C and wind. :)
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 16,796 Senior Member
    It's not too nice to cook with. You should cook with good wine. If the wine is a present for both of you, use your part to make delicious food. (I'm with you on the annoyance about lack of consideration from people who've known you all your life, though.)