Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

Replies to: Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

• klbmom18klbmom18 Registered User Posts: 330 Member
    Dont want to watch. Sounds like it would trigger more college admissions stress. Maybe next year.
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I enjoyed the movie, mostly because of its focus on relationships—especially between LB and her mother as well as others in her life—her brother, her BFF, the popular girl, etc. I didn’t really focus on whether the parents were being unwise financially—I thought they were folks just trying to support their daughter the best way they could.
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    edited February 2018
    I didn't like this movie. Thought it was overhyped and that the main character came across as spoiled. My two teenage daughters felt the same way. I love Laurie Metcalf and am glad I saw it because of her excellent (as always) performance, but I am also glad I got to see it for free (as a voter for the SAG Awards). My overall reaction was "meh" and I thought Ladybird herself needed a giant dose of reality -- she had no idea how privileged she actually was. And I'm sorry, in this day and age, there is NO WAY she would get into Barnard after bad grades and a suspension.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,678 Senior Member
    I am going to go see it. H will be gone skiing all week so GF night and movie sounds in order!
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,238 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    After what I’ve read about LB, especially today, I have no interest in seeing the movie at all. It is not something I can relate to at all, even tho I’ve been through the applications process and college visits.

I know movies are movies but am horrified to read the family refinanced their home so the kid could go to OOS private U when the dad was unemployed. We know a woman who spent her entire divorce settlement sending her younger S to a OOS private U and is now 60 years old, living paycheck to paycheck in a modest rental, running a food truck with her special needs older S. Her life is very difficult and likely to remain tough, as running a food truck and being a single mom of special needs young adult is hard work! I am sure there are others who have made similar expensive decisions with long-term effects on everyone involved.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,961 Senior Member
    The characters rang true-- human, flawed, funny, and families that fight, and love, each other.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    "Or who would think attending SF State (essentially a commuter school, and definitely not in an urban neighborhood despite the San Francisco zip code) was in any way comparable to attending either Barnard or NYU."

Putting affordable, in-state safeties on a list is a bad idea if they don't compare to the expensive dream schools? I've been doing it wrong for 18 years...
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 20,552 Senior Member
    But she had applied to UC Davis and presumably other UC campuses -- which the family clearly considered to be affordable -- using Sac State as a safety might have made sense... but not SF State. There urban center CSU's generally are commuter schools and tend to be overenrolled, and favor local students for admission.
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 1,392 Senior Member
    IIRC she actually got into UC Davis but refused to go there because of the cows. So she was planning to go to SF(?)/Sac State instead (not really clear, but the implication was that she would stay at home).

Apparently the scenes at the end were filmed at NYU even though Gerwig went to Barnard.