right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

Replies to: Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

• momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16640 replies66 threads Senior Member
    I am going to go see it. H will be gone skiing all week so GF night and movie sounds in order!
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34797 replies394 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    After what I’ve read about LB, especially today, I have no interest in seeing the movie at all. It is not something I can relate to at all, even tho I’ve been through the applications process and college visits.

I know movies are movies but am horrified to read the family refinanced their home so the kid could go to OOS private U when the dad was unemployed. We know a woman who spent her entire divorce settlement sending her younger S to a OOS private U and is now 60 years old, living paycheck to paycheck in a modest rental, running a food truck with her special needs older S. Her life is very difficult and likely to remain tough, as running a food truck and being a single mom of special needs young adult is hard work! I am sure there are others who have made similar expensive decisions with long-term effects on everyone involved.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4052 replies27 threads Senior Member
    The characters rang true-- human, flawed, funny, and families that fight, and love, each other.
    · Reply · Share
  • HannaHanna 14866 replies42 threads Senior Member
    "Or who would think attending SF State (essentially a commuter school, and definitely not in an urban neighborhood despite the San Francisco zip code) was in any way comparable to attending either Barnard or NYU."

Putting affordable, in-state safeties on a list is a bad idea if they don't compare to the expensive dream schools? I've been doing it wrong for 18 years...
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20688 replies168 threads Senior Member
    But she had applied to UC Davis and presumably other UC campuses -- which the family clearly considered to be affordable -- using Sac State as a safety might have made sense... but not SF State. There urban center CSU's generally are commuter schools and tend to be overenrolled, and favor local students for admission.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1794 replies17 threads Senior Member
    IIRC she actually got into UC Davis but refused to go there because of the cows. So she was planning to go to SF(?)/Sac State instead (not really clear, but the implication was that she would stay at home).

Apparently the scenes at the end were filmed at NYU even though Gerwig went to Barnard.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    It's been a couple of months now since I saw the movie, but my impression was that she had been accepted to UCD and was resigned to attending there, until she received the notice that she was off the waitlist. But if she had chosen to stay and live at home home and attend a CSU, then it would have to have been Sac State.

I don't remember being able to identify any of the NY locations -- but NYU doesn't really have a campus and the high school scenes were filmed at a school in Pasadena ... so it wouldn't mean much to me one way or another unless there was a promininent NYU-associated landmark. Obviously there were no scenes of Barnard or Columbia either. From the opening sequence it seemed she wanted an LAC-like environment ("I want to go where culture is, like New York. Or at least Connecticutt or New Hampshire, where writers live in the woods.")

Apparently Gerwig herself wanted to go to NYU for musical theater - so it would have been Tisch - but ended up at Barnard instead. Reportedly Greta Gerwig quoted her mom (also a nurse) as saying, " "This was another of my mum's great moments, where she said, 'I'm not spending $40,000 a year for you to learn how to tap dance.'" Presumably, with financial aid, Barnard was more affordable. (Source of quote: "This was another of my mum's great moments, where she said, 'I'm not spending $40,000 a year for you to learn how to tap dance.'" Source: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jul/13/greta-gerwig-frances-ha
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • prezbuckyprezbucky 4323 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Did anyone else catch when either Lady Bird or the GC referred to Yale as a LAC?
    · Reply · Share
    I don't remember that reference, but the quote I can find from the movie was:
    Christine McPherson: No way, I want schools like Yale, but not Yale because I probably couldn’t get in.

Guidance Counselor: You definitely couldn’t get in.

So "Yale, but not Yale" could lead a g.c. to suggest a LAC. (I just don't recall specific dialogue from the movie).

· Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12909 replies169 threads Senior Member
    Haven't seen the movie... don't know the family's finances... but I think in general it's good to send a child to a university/college in a very different part of the country.

Going from Sacramento to NYC -- or, as in my daughter's case, from Denver to Boston -- offers extraordinary opportunities for personal and social growth. In my eyes, it was worth the extra $10K per year, especially since much of her "commuting home" airfare money came in the form mileage.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18688 replies327 threads Senior Member
    calmom wrote:
    I don't remember being able to identify any of the NY locations -- but NYU doesn't really have a campus and the high school scenes were filmed at a school in Pasadena ... so it wouldn't mean much to me one way or another unless there was a promininent NYU-associated landmark.

The church she went to, toward the end of the movie, was Trinity Church, which is downtown not that far away from NYU.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 42270 replies454 threads Senior Member
    ^well, to be fair, total COA at the time was 28K... so "financial magic" was a LOT easier to make happen than nowadays.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity