right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

Replies to: Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37524 replies2048 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 39,572 Super Moderator
    I just downloaded it onto my iPhone. I will watch it on the way to Beirut Thursday night. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 4960 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,010 Senior Member
    For some reason, I had the mistaken impression it was about Lady Bird Johnson, but just watched it on a plane and enjoyed it in the way you enjoy wiggling a loose tooth when you're 6. It hurts a little but...
    · Reply · Share
  • ScipioScipio 8464 replies477 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,941 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    "Mistress America has Mozart In The Jungle's Lola Kirke playing the Gerwig character as a freshman at the same sort of Barnard/NYU hybrid which apparently accepted Lady Bird....."

Huh? I thought Lady Bird got accepted to Columbia off the waitlist. The "fat envelope" acceptance packet she opened was definitely in Columbia's light blue and white school colors.

(I'm late to this thread because I just saw the movie last weekend, while on a plane.)

"I did find it amusing that a Californian wanted to leave for school, while it seems many people from the rest of the country wants to pay the ridiculous OOS tuition at UC's."

Both my California born and raised daughters wanted to (and did) go to school in the Northeast despite getting into some fine CA schools. They had already "done" California and were looking for a change of scenery.

As for me, I'm a proud of alumnus of the very same "cow school" that Lady Bird disdains.
    edited June 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20442 replies166 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,608 Senior Member
    No, she received a rejection letter from Columbia earlier in the movie. Barnard's letterhead is blue & white. (The movie itself was not clear, but Greta Gerwig is a Barnard alum) Barnard, of course, is an affiliate of Columbia.
    · Reply · Share
  • JEMJEM 6047 replies578 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,625 Senior Member
    I am confused about a statement made by Netflix describing the movie:
    "With help from her adopted brother, Miguel, she begins putting together a plan for her great escape."
    In what way did Miguel help Lady Bird?
    Can anyone help me with this?

I thought the movie was very true-to-life in general, especially re the relationship with her initial, and later once again, best friend. I have been the sad witness to adolescent females trying to "move up" socially by abandoning their less "cool," but true, friends. (Fortunately the ones I have known learned a lesson -- as did Lady Bird.)
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22121 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,135 Senior Member
    I finally saw the movie on Amazon Prime. I was very disappointed. I just thought it was boring.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6310 replies110 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,420 Senior Member
    I saw the movie on Amazon Prime. Lady Bird was a flake. No indication she was a serious or even a good student. No real goals. And at the end she realizes she has made a terrible mistake.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20460 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,669 Senior Member
    Great movie. @JEM I agree with you. I think Netflix's take on the brother's role wasn't present in the movie.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41305 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,750 Senior Member
    ^ she realized she had made MANY mistakes - but I one think going to Barnard is supposed to be one of them.
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22861 replies184 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,045 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    @MYOS1634 If you meant to say that you DON'T think going to Barnard was one of them, I agree.

I just watched the movie this afternoon. I enjoyed it. Great cast, interesting, nuanced characters. Avoided the usual cliches.

ETA:incredible performance from Laurie Metcalf. I haven't seen I Tonya, and I love Allyson Janney, but it is difficult to imagine a better one.
    edited June 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41305 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,750 Senior Member
    Oohh yes, I DON'T think going to Barnard was one of them!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16729 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,885 Senior Member
    ETA:incredible performance from Laurie Metcalf. I haven't seen I Tonya, and I love Allyson Janney, but it is difficult to imagine a better one.

Allyson Janney's performance was every bit as good as Laurie's. Either performance would have been well deserved to win an Oscar.
    · Reply · Share
  • TTGTTG 1662 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,676 Senior Member
    Yes, both were outstanding performances!
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22861 replies184 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,045 Senior Member
    I really need to see I Tonya. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • SyrAlumSyrAlum 545 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 565 Member
    ^Yes, @Consolation I was just thinking I need to see I, Tonya as well. Does anyone know if it’s on Netflix or Amazon Prime, yet?

I really enjoyed Lady Bird.
    · Reply · Share
  • BingeWatcherBingeWatcher 807 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 814 Member
    I think I Tonya is on Hulu.
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18323 replies322 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,645 Senior Member
    Tonya was good. Allyson Janney was fabulous. I think her Oscar was deserved.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2862 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,873 Senior Member
    @VeryHappy

Agreed. Janney morphed into the character completely. Outstanding acting chops.
    · Reply · Share
  • showmom858showmom858 2882 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,897 Senior Member
    I finally watched Lady Bird this past weekend. I enjoyed the movie and thought the characters were well defined. I agree with others about Allyson Janney and Laurie Metcalf. Both gave excellent performances that were Oscar worthy.
    · Reply · Share