right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

Replies to: Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22072 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,086 Senior Member
    But if she graduated in May 2001, 9/11 wouldn't have been part of the story at all. She'd have been dropped at the airport pre-9/11. Maybe she wanted 9/11 to be part of the movie so moved everything forward to include it as a new consideration.
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20436 replies166 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,602 Senior Member
    Gerwig graduated in 2002 - https://www.biography.com/people/greta-gerwig-21430131
    Like Lady Bird, Gerwig grew up in Sacramento and attended an all-girls Catholic high school (though Gerwig graduated in 2002, while Lady Bird is in the class of 2003); Gerwig's parents also have similar careers to Lady Bird's mother and father.

· Reply · Share
  • SOSConcernSOSConcern 3832 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,840 Senior Member
    DD and I watched - Redbox now has it. DD wanted to see it. I like movies in the past because you can reflect how different things were, how much things have changed, etc. DD is graduating from college in May.

IMHO kids may be exposed now to more stress because of technology - knowing so many more global things. I grew up in a 'smaller world'.

I liked the movie - showing real relationships that do occur in a lot of households and between the characters portrayed.
    · Reply · Share
  • gibby190gibby190 15 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    spot on
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54920 replies2852 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,772 Senior Member
    ack plane landed before I could see the end of the movie
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37499 replies2048 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 39,547 Super Moderator
    I just downloaded it onto my iPhone. I will watch it on the way to Beirut Thursday night. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • stradmomstradmom 4951 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,001 Senior Member
    For some reason, I had the mistaken impression it was about Lady Bird Johnson, but just watched it on a plane and enjoyed it in the way you enjoy wiggling a loose tooth when you're 6. It hurts a little but...
    · Reply · Share
  • ScipioScipio 8464 replies477 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,941 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    "Mistress America has Mozart In The Jungle's Lola Kirke playing the Gerwig character as a freshman at the same sort of Barnard/NYU hybrid which apparently accepted Lady Bird....."

Huh? I thought Lady Bird got accepted to Columbia off the waitlist. The "fat envelope" acceptance packet she opened was definitely in Columbia's light blue and white school colors.

(I'm late to this thread because I just saw the movie last weekend, while on a plane.)

"I did find it amusing that a Californian wanted to leave for school, while it seems many people from the rest of the country wants to pay the ridiculous OOS tuition at UC's."

Both my California born and raised daughters wanted to (and did) go to school in the Northeast despite getting into some fine CA schools. They had already "done" California and were looking for a change of scenery.

As for me, I'm a proud of alumnus of the very same "cow school" that Lady Bird disdains.
    edited June 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20436 replies166 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,602 Senior Member
    No, she received a rejection letter from Columbia earlier in the movie. Barnard's letterhead is blue & white. (The movie itself was not clear, but Greta Gerwig is a Barnard alum) Barnard, of course, is an affiliate of Columbia.
    · Reply · Share
  • JEMJEM 6047 replies578 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,625 Senior Member
    I am confused about a statement made by Netflix describing the movie:
    "With help from her adopted brother, Miguel, she begins putting together a plan for her great escape."
    In what way did Miguel help Lady Bird?
    Can anyone help me with this?

I thought the movie was very true-to-life in general, especially re the relationship with her initial, and later once again, best friend. I have been the sad witness to adolescent females trying to "move up" socially by abandoning their less "cool," but true, friends. (Fortunately the ones I have known learned a lesson -- as did Lady Bird.)
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22072 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,086 Senior Member
    I finally saw the movie on Amazon Prime. I was very disappointed. I just thought it was boring.
    · Reply · Share
  • TatinGTatinG 6298 replies109 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,407 Senior Member
    I saw the movie on Amazon Prime. Lady Bird was a flake. No indication she was a serious or even a good student. No real goals. And at the end she realizes she has made a terrible mistake.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20425 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,634 Senior Member
    Great movie. @JEM I agree with you. I think Netflix's take on the brother's role wasn't present in the movie.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41266 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,711 Senior Member
    ^ she realized she had made MANY mistakes - but I one think going to Barnard is supposed to be one of them.
    · Reply · Share