Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

Replies to: Thoughts on the Movie "Lady Bird" and the Portrayal of the College Search Process

• ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,030 Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    @MYOS1634 If you meant to say that you DON'T think going to Barnard was one of them, I agree.

I just watched the movie this afternoon. I enjoyed it. Great cast, interesting, nuanced characters. Avoided the usual cliches.

ETA:incredible performance from Laurie Metcalf. I haven't seen I Tonya, and I love Allyson Janney, but it is difficult to imagine a better one.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,568 Senior Member
    Oohh yes, I DON'T think going to Barnard was one of them!!!
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,808 Senior Member
    ETA:incredible performance from Laurie Metcalf. I haven't seen I Tonya, and I love Allyson Janney, but it is difficult to imagine a better one.

Allyson Janney's performance was every bit as good as Laurie's. Either performance would have been well deserved to win an Oscar.
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,676 Senior Member
    Yes, both were outstanding performances!
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,030 Senior Member
    I really need to see I Tonya. :)
  • SyrAlumSyrAlum Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    ^Yes, @Consolation I was just thinking I need to see I, Tonya as well. Does anyone know if it’s on Netflix or Amazon Prime, yet?

I really enjoyed Lady Bird.
  • BingeWatcherBingeWatcher Registered User Posts: 789 Member
    I think I Tonya is on Hulu.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,588 Senior Member
    Tonya was good. Allyson Janney was fabulous. I think her Oscar was deserved.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 2,789 Senior Member
    @VeryHappy

Agreed. Janney morphed into the character completely. Outstanding acting chops.
  • showmom858showmom858 Registered User Posts: 2,884 Senior Member
    I finally watched Lady Bird this past weekend. I enjoyed the movie and thought the characters were well defined. I agree with others about Allyson Janney and Laurie Metcalf. Both gave excellent performances that were Oscar worthy.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I also just watched...assumed it was about LB Johnson and ignored until a friend told me about it.

I wish I could have watched it with D, but I did recommend it to her. I really enjoyed it.

I could relate to the mom, but also would never act like that...but the airport scene and the boyfriends, oh wow. Hit me.
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Quite a few movies were great last year Wind River, I Tonya, Three Billboards, Gifted, Molly’s Game, The Accountant. I loved Saoirse in Brooklyn and Atonement but I thought Lady Bird was overrated. Both of us watching had the same thoughts. Allison Janney deserved that Oscar (just two viewers opinions). I know viewing is all subjective!
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,065 Senior Member
    Just saw this on the plane. Also watched Love, Simon. Really loved them both!
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 576 Member
    Apparently Lady Bird doesn't realize that you can stay in California and still be quite far from home. California is not Rhode Island...
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 576 Member
    It's a movie, it's not always going to be realistic. If we couldn't afford NYC for my kid..we would've had my kid apply for scholarships and try to get merit aid. If that hadn't worked out my kid would've attended an instate school or a private school that offered more merit. Tough, but that's life. Don't copy what people in the movies do