Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Do We Deal with the Violently Mentally Ill?

12345679»

Replies to: How Do We Deal with the Violently Mentally Ill?

• jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,384 Senior Member
    Sorry, @MaineLonghorn . Inpatient MH care has really declined in quality and quantity.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,317 Super Moderator
    He's been there for over a week. I asked the "Family Navigator" if we could arrange a meeting with his care team, and she said, "Well, if they don't have much to report, they probably won't want to have one..." Sigh. What is the freaking plan??
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,600 Senior Member
    "New push to get dangerously ill people into secure facilities" from the Boston Herald:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2018/02/special_report_new_push_to_get_dangerously_ill_people_into_secure
  • Wisdom2shareWisdom2share Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    I think we are addressing a Band-Aid approach than a cure here. I feel as a society we have moved away from the basic social, civilized way of living. There is too much pent up anger, intolerance, and bullying. Social isolation, broken families and indifference in the society is the main cause for young people to snap the they way do. One’s socio economic status has nothing to do with inclusion.

Parents have no time to spend quality time teaching and supporting their children basic human values in life because they are busy either molding them in to independent strong individuals (I am done raising you when you need me the most) or too busy driving them from one activity to the next to make sure they make it to the best "Bumper Sticker" school possible.

As adults we deny our children a safety net and support them during their adolescent years .As humans we need to be social and included in the society and having a network of friends is more important than a perfect score on SAT. Spending every waking min of the day including summer vacation working, studying or going to camps with no down time to even meet a friend who lives across the street, we are forcing them to be robotic, they don't develop social skills needed to learn empathy they fail to read how another person is feeling, There is little are no human to human contact, everyone is buried in stressed out, social media world, always debating everything. Never looking up from the computer screen or the smart devices to see the power of your words.

Celebrities, news media, social media and even educational institutions fuel discord among people than promoting tolerance and kindness.

When a young undeveloped mind is constantly expected to preform like an adult, when they are ignored and isolated because they different, or they try and try but constantly fail and when there are no grown ups to understand the pain and suffering they are going through and support them, they snap. Some go in to depression and kill themselves and others get violent.

If we can all just be kind to each other and teach our children tolerance and support each other and turn off the new media that is constantly diving us apart, we have a chance to fix this broken society.

• TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,399 Senior Member
    https://www.city-journal.org/html/how-did-parkland-shooter-slip-through-cracks-15741.html

Never arrested. Never reported. So naturally a background check would show nothing. This is truly shocking. He brought weapons to school and he was never arrested, expelled, but not arrested. The Broward County schools have decided that assaults were too minor to be referred to the police. So his fights at school were never reported.

Also CNN is reporting that police were called to the home 45 times! in 10 years.

Cruz should have been in juvenile detention, then jail or prison. The first duty of government is to protect law abiding people.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,317 Super Moderator
    To illustrate how screwy our system is: Our son has been in the hospital for more than 8 days. He signed a release for the hospital to speak to his regular doctor. They have yet to contact him. I just left a message for the social worker, strongly suggesting that this phone call take place.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 16,786 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn, I can't imagine what your family goes through, especially your DS. So sorry. You are very strong.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn What a difficult time you are going through, sorry. I hope it resolves back to baseline for you and your family.
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School Registered User Posts: 3,302 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    It's really hard on the providers too. My wife came home a wreck after dealing with crazy patient who yelled and carried on for nearly 2 hours while she was treating her child. She had 4 co-workers outside of the door in case the mom became violent. Scary stuff. Some patients are just not worth it. I can't even imagine what it is like for @MaineLonghorn , sympathies.
  • psych_psych_ Registered User Posts: 1,583 Senior Member
    Scientifically, people with mental illnesses (except substance abuse) are no more likely to commit violence than people without mental illness. It is estimated that people with mental illness commit 4% of violent crime, and base rates of mental illness in the general population are 20-25%. This has been studied repeatedly, in a number of different ways, and the results have been incredibly consistent: people with mental illness are NOT more likely to commit violence than people without mental illness, and the vast, vast majority of people who commit violent crimes are not mentally ill. I know it's super pleasing to pretend that mental illness is the cause of violent crime, because hey, then it's "those people's problem," but it's not. We've studied it repeatedly, and it's just... not. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318286/

Also, you'd be surprised how many "normal" people have mental illnesses. I know so many incredibly successful professionals with good family lives who have major depressive disorder, for example.
This discussion has been closed.