Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ways to help the students and teachers in Parkland

momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 688 Member
I was thinking how many people want to help in situations like this but are not sure what to do besides donating money. Here are a few ways you can help even if you live far away.

There is a group of girls from Parkland who started a company (before the shooting, sadly they now have to raise money for their own town) called 3 Heart Strings that makes sprint bracelets and stickers. They are now selling MSD bracelets and bumper stickers with the money going to the victims fund. My daughters and their friends went and made bracelets with them yesterday so if you order maybe you will get one of theirs. :) Go to the company website to order http://www.3heartstrings.com/home.html.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas PTSA Facebook page has posted an Amazon wish list for the teachers. These are the teachers who will not be able to go back into their building because it is still a crime scene- they need everything from school supplies to room decorations as they are going to have to start from scratch this week. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link so if it doesn't work go to their Facebook page and scroll down a little bit to find it.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/10DQRLKD3SLA6?type=wishlist&filter=unpurchased&sort=priority

The PTSA has also asked for banners from around the world to hang up to decorate MSD. Our local middle school just sent a few but I am sure they like seeing them come from far away. A friend of mine in Australia is working on getting her school to send one! :)

Replies to: Ways to help the students and teachers in Parkland

• JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,738 Senior Member
    @roycroftmom that's exactly what my friends and I are doing - join the masses and have voices heard, #Enough.
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    Yes, we are doing the march either in DC or Parkland - haven't finalized our plans yet.
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB Registered User Posts: 2,234 Senior Member
    Thank you for starting this thread, @momtogkc
  • cgpm59cgpm59 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    Just saw a story this morning on how one of the Parkland survivors is encouraging people to boycott Florida for spring break until some gun laws are passed. He even encourages people to travel to Puerto Rico for spring break instead, to help their economy rebound.
  • bookmama22bookmama22 Registered User Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    I am so impressed with the Parkland students and how they have responded to this tragedy by organizing themselves to have a national march and traveling to Tallahassee and appearing on so many news programs and the CNN town hall. The best way to memorialize and help the 17 is to not let this issue this time around disappear. Hold politicians accountable. Encourage those turning 18 to register to vote and to vote when the elections come around, primaries, local elections, state and local elections. When one registers to vote, encourage another to vote and so on.
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    I love the boycott Florida idea. I know it’s not possible for every circumstance but it hits them where it hurts. Send a letter to every state legislator explaining why you are mad at them for not passing the proposed laws that are right in front of their face.

• bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 8,820 Senior Member
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,817 Senior Member
    Aren't thoughts and prayers sufficient? :(
  • yourmommayourmomma Registered User Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Well that didn't take long.
This discussion has been closed.