Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Kitchen Redo - Order of projects

Replies to: Kitchen Redo - Order of projects

• SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,405 Senior Member
    A rub on, some kind of oil, maybe something like tung? Is the wood nice?
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    ive gone about my changing my 20-yr old kitchen out of order; saving the most expensive for last i guess: cabinets. So we have 23 doors, and 11 drawers. I had lots of options bid out last year. To have them painted with special paint to cover over varnish was around $10k. To put on new doors and paint: (more of a mission look) was around $14K.

but no matter what, painting them and changing doors isnt going to give the look i want. I need to replace the top cabinets and build new ones to my ceiling; getting rid of the ridged doors and molding. So many good ideas on Houzz; and lots of DIY sites as well. good luck with it all!
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,527 Senior Member
    Is the wood nice. Hmmm....not sure what you mean - like the construction? A very reputable local kitchen builder did the installation so I think the quality is good. There isn't a lot of grain in the wood - not like oak - which is fine with me because I'd prefer a more solid looking wood without grain. This is why I want to trial a door/drawer though - to get a sense for how it would look.
    I sort of wondered if we started the cabinets, see how it's going to work out. If we are satisfied with how they are looking, continue trying to do a small section at a time (H is retired and would do the sanding but the finishing would be up to me- I work full time) - I know this might take who knows...spring and summer - then once we have them done, call in someone to do the countertops, backsplash, sink - and then decide on the floor.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 20,370 Senior Member
    Is the local kitchen builder an actual cabinet maker or just an installer of other companies' cabinetry? The reason I ask is that we had our kitchen island repainted a few years ago (rest of cabinets are natural wood). We went back to the guy who built them as we know he does awesome work. He actually dismantled the very large island, took it to the paint room of his shop, repainted there, and brought it back and reinstalled it. It cost a little more this way but ensured a much better finish. The environment in the shop is controlled and dust-free plus they spray them so they get a very strong, smooth almost enamel like finish. As good as new. I would imagine there is a way of spraying on site as well requiring a whole lot of draping.
    I would say they are designers/installers of other companies cabinetry?

And I'm being real here, I am not someone who would do well with the entire kitchen being a disaster for any length of time.

It's all so overwhelming that clearly, I keep putting it off and making decisions. H could really care less - if the doors and drawers still open and close he's satisfied. :(

What I REALLY need to do - I'm so non-committal! - is to call a place or two in and just listen to what they have to say. Maybe I make myself call ONE place this week and see if I can line someone to come by and look. Ugh.

• ManhattanBoroManhattanBoro Registered User, - Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Could you test your idea of sanding etc. on the inside of a door? If you didn't like it, you'd only see that side when the cabinet door is open.

And, you have my sympathies. I absolutely understand having a functional kitchen that needs refreshing. Ours is 20+ years old & needs a re-do. We keep postponing renovating because it's very disruptive to daily living....(even though it would give the kitchen & us a new life ;~)

Good luck!
  • WellspringWellspring Registered User Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    We went through a six week total gut and remodel kitchen about five years ago. It wasn't that bad. We had the refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker in another room temporarily. It was spring so we could grill. Paper plates, etc. It was entirely worth it.
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 Registered User Posts: 2,686 Senior Member
    Ohhh. This thread reminds me of what a slacker I am. I am in the middle of doing the exact same "refresh." I have also contemplated the order in which to do it all. I am painting my cabinets myself. I did the lower ones already...over a year ago. Because I take them outside and sand them, I have been waiting for good weather (that's my story, anyway). I even bought a portable table to set up a painting area in the garage...last May. I kind of enjoy doing it, but I am not married so have no built-in helper and I work full time so it consumes all my weekends and time off.

I also need appliances including a drop in range that will need to go in when the counter tops do.

My most pressing need is new flooring, but I want to do it last. (I will not do it myself.)

And I cannot make a decorating decision to save my soul. I looked at floor covering at Lowe's again today and still cannot decide. *sigh*
    At least I'm not alone. :)

I would prefer to do an outside of a door/drawer because that is where the "damage" in the finish is due to the smoke, cleaning products, etc. I really don't think it could be a big fail to trial one. I could do a small section - like there is a lower section with one door, 4 small drawers that we could trial.

• sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    This might sound like a strange suggestion, but if you were willing maybe you could upload a picture of one of the doors to your profile picture. It might help others with suggestions, or to know what you are up against. Personally, if the cabinets were nice wood and of good construction, I would try refinishing. In our case, we have laminate cabinets, and while I have seen repainting projects online, I would never try something like that.
  • cnp55cnp55 Registered User Posts: 3,800 Senior Member
    I did the total gut and new cabinet thing in the fall of 2016 -- with new appliances in different locations, new lighting, wiring moving, a little section of new wall and the whole placed painted. New sink, appliances, countertops, tile etc. SO worth it -- but my husband is in the business, so the contractors were falling over each other to do it right, on time, under budget etc etc. They treated me like a queen. I've been looking at model homes for the last 30 years -- my house is 25 years old and it was built by his company but we were on a tighter budget at the time. He told me I could have whatever I wanted if it was available through his designer -- or if I could buy it without breaking the bank.

I imagine for the general public this could be a nightmare. My advice is to not obsess over the minor details because new and fresh is going to look great. Spend a little more for better quality labor. Set up the separate kitchen before you start -- and also do a purge. Do you really need all those mugs ... etc?
  • EmbracethemessEmbracethemess Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    This is timely - we are about to start work on a remodel of our 27 year old kitchen, long overdue. We have laminate contractor-grade cabinets, laminate countertops which are splitting apart and a well-worn linoleum floor. For the last 4-5 years, I kept saying at Christmas "this is the last time I will host Christmas Eve with this icky kitchen." But I was paralyzed by about making all those decisions and moving forward, especially since the contractor who has done all the other work in our house has retired. And like you, the budget isn't deep enough for those decisions to be care-free. Finally last year I took a step and started interviewing contractors. It took awhile to find the right one, but once I did he then recommended the cabinet source, and then from there everything started to fall into place and it didn't seem so overwhelming. My advise is to just take those first steps, do your research and make a decision about the cabinets and then your excitement will grow while your fears abate. And I agree with the advise above to not obsess over the details, because whatever you do will look and feel great!
  • busyparentbusyparent Registered User Posts: 1,020 Senior Member
    It's good to know I am not the only one who stresses over making these kind of decisions. Count me in the group living with a terrible kitchen with falling apart laminate counters etc
    I took a couple pics of my cabinets before I left this morning but can't figure out how to change my avatar picture on CC through my iPhone....maybe I'll try again at lunchtime.

This discussion has been closed.