Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Responsibility of Police Officers

14567810»

Replies to: The Responsibility of Police Officers

• catahoulacatahoula Registered User Posts: 3,391 Senior Member
    If Valentine's day was the reason, maybe they might should have skipped law enforcement. Listened to the aptitude test - not to mention their hearts - and... become a florist?
  • yourmommayourmomma Registered User Posts: 1,307 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Maybe they hesitated because, oh, you know, they didn't feel like dying on Valentine's Day.

That's fine and exactly why those that choose to should be armed. If I'm being attacked, I want to defend myself. Not wait for someone to decide what to do. Having worked in rough neighborhoods you realize quickly that the police can only investigate after the fact.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 18,313 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    @Ohiodad51, what I think you are saying is that at short range, muzzle velocity doesn't make a difference to survival.

And what I am saying is, I think you are mistaken. Energy is proportional to the square of velocity. A bullet traveling three times as fast is nine times as energetic. That is why the doctor says that a handgun shot at close range puts a hole in your liver but an AR-15 shot turns your liver to puree and then you die.

Here's more about how devastating those wounds are:
    "The wounds are just otherworldly," said Penn Medicine trauma surgeon Jeremy W. Cannon, an expert marksman who served with the Air Force in Iraq and Afghanistan. "You're talking big, giant cavities and a hole you can put your fist through."

Read the article for further graphic descriptions of AR-15 wounds; http://www.philly.com/philly/health/science/20160616_Doctors__High-velocity_Orlando_rifle_inflicts__quot_devastating_quot__wounds.html

This discussion has been closed.