Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Responsibility of Police Officers

Replies to: The Responsibility of Police Officers

• NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    Coward. Yes, it is always reasonable to expect a person paid to protect to do his job. I don't care how much money he makes, it was his job. Even if he was a $45K/year mall security guard or a school resource officer or a rookie on the town police force. These are kids.

What if the rookie on your police force refuses to do parts of his job because his starting pay is $40K? What if our military decided who/how/what to protect depending on their rank/pay? Should firefighters get decide whether they want to rescue someone from a fire?

I can say with a 99.9% surety that if I was armed in that same situation I would have gone in and tried to do whatever I could. There are women all over this world that put their own lives on the line for their children every day, teachers that do it every day for their students, neighbors who do it for each other. But we are paying someone to do the job and they don't do it. COWARD. Sitting back and collecting their nice paycheck for their cushy job, hoping they never have to do what they are paid to do. I am glad he has to live with this for the rest of his live, shame on him, good! I hope his is disqualified for pension too.

• TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 6,399 Senior Member
    Oh no. He will get his pension. He retired in order to be able to get the pension.

• sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    So if they arm teachers will those teachers be called cowards if they don’t all run in and try to shoot the assailant? Seems like you could get a lot of bullets flying.
  • milee30milee30 Registered User Posts: 1,960 Senior Member
    In our area, the SRO assignments are considered plum jobs that are highly sought after among the deputies. Second only to the number of law enforcement officers who want to land one of the coveted jobs on the various boat patrols. (Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like. Thanks to drug bust confiscations, Homeland Security $$$ and a few other grants, many of our LEO agencies in our area of coastal Florida have fancy power boats - like $200k Scarabs - that they assign officers to "patrol" in. Not a bad gig cruising the coastal waterways...)

The deputies that get the coveted SRO jobs have to have been not only good deputies to be eligible for such a plum, but they receive additional training. If the training doesn't include protocol about school shootings or other types of violence on campus, that's a major failing of the sheriff's department. But then again, this case showed failings on the part of the FBI, local police, local sheriff, child protective services, school administration... so what's one more?

This kid was open about planning a school shooting for months. Multiple people reported the threat to the FBI, police, sheriff and school administration. LEO had been called to the kid's house dozens of times in the past few years yet no arrests or charges, so no criminal record to prevent him from owning a gun. The kid introduced himself to people as a "future school shooter" and made multiple social media posts about being a school shooter. CPS didn't seem to have much of a hand in monitoring him after his mom died and he was couch surfing at various friends. School admin was afraid of him and warned teachers to report it if he ever showed up with a backpack. This kid did everything but tattoo "SCHOOL SHOOTER" on his forehead. Many people noticed, every possible law enforcement agency was warned... but still nobody did a thing. Nothing. Even when he showed up and actually did it. Deputies - including the one assigned to the school - waited outside until after the shooting had stopped and the shooter wandered away to get a snack at a fast food place. Failure on multiple levels here.
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    That said, police are human beings and can freeze or otherwise freak out. Nobody ever knows how they're going to react in the moment for the first time.

You forgot that they were trained to expect the unexpectable. They are not like you and me with no prior training against violence. They were trained to expect violence and what to do when that happens. Compared to other violent crimes, school shooting is probably mild relatively speaking. Don't officers deal with active shooters outside of school? I don't see how school shooting is any scarier than dealing with seasoned criminals and freezes four deputies to non-action. I would call for a full review of the sheriff department. They also got 18 calls regarding Cruz including a few about his gun collection that went unheeded.
  • dragon90dragon90 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    A couple of points:

1. There should be a distinction drawn here between elected sheriffs officers and career police officers. The Broward County Sheriff, like many across the country, is an elected official. Elected in this case in one of the most liberal counties in Florida. Consequently, the Broward Sheriffs Office (BSO) has both Law enforcement and Political aims and motivations, whereas the police, like Coral Springs, would be thinking law enforcement first and foremost, which may have factored into why the CSPD entered the building while the BSO stayed out.

2. The BSO and the Broward School Superintendent Runcie established a program in 2013, called the "Promise Program" to "break the school to jail pipeline" by keeping kids out of the criminal justice system. This means misdemeanors and less serious offenses such as vandalism, pot possession, etc would be dealt with by the schools and not by the sheriffs office. Where do they draw the line for a "serious offense"? How about bringing bullets to school or getting into fights? Evidently not there. The Promise Program https://www.browardprevention.org/behavior/promise/ is intended to "safeguard the student from entering the judicial system". The goal was to reduce the percentage of students who were arrested by LEO. Did it factor into why Cruz was able to go so long without a record and so be able to pass background checks?

3. Why the 26 minute tape delay? Has Jake Tapper asked this question? If so, I haven't seen a good answer. Certainly it wouldn't be to help the SRO control any video evidence of criminal behavior. that's crazy talk.

4. If the NRA, Gov Scott, Sen Rubio, anyone who owns a gun, has blood on their hands, what exactly is on the hands of BSO and Broward Superintendent?

Seeing that Israel guy on the news nauseates me. He gives a bad name to law enforcement officers everywhere with his arrogance and hypocrisy.

• IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 8,178 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Where do they draw the line for a "serious offense"?

I don't think you would have trouble drawing the line with active shooting.

Whether electoral or career, you would think a police department should be capable of protecting the public. If they fail, why bother to have a police department elected or career?
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    You forgot that they were trained to expect the unexpectable. They are not like you and me with no prior training against violence.

You can train and train and train, and still freeze when encountering a traumatic situation for the first time. It's just one of the unpredictable things about human nature. And not many cops have every actually fired their guns in the line of duty.

For a much less traumatic example, just think of all the people who practice a speech and then freeze when standing up in front of a group for the first time. You can train in front of your friends, but when you stand up on the podium for real the very first time, you just never know how you'll react.

So I guess this comes back to something we teach our kids. If you do something bad, are you a bad person or are you a good person who did something bad? Is that SRO actually a coward, or did he just act in a cowardly manner? I lean towards the latter.
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Might I add that most offficers make a lot of money. All of the officers that I know make six figures once they get their overtime and pick up additional details. If we include their pension and lifetime healthcare they make quite a good living.
  • anomanderanomander Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    Why the 26 minute tape delay? Has Jake Tapper asked this question? If so, I haven't seen a good answer. Certainly it wouldn't be to help the SRO control any video evidence of criminal behavior. that's crazy talk.

I read an interview where someone had been reviewing the tape and therefore had it rewound. Somehow that wasn't communicated to later people, who then thought the tape was live.
This discussion has been closed.