right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Responsibility of Police Officers

Replies to: The Responsibility of Police Officers

• Time2ShineTime2Shine 215 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    The gun most commonly used in school shootings (unlike handguns in other crimes) has an effective fire rate of 120 bullets per minute, and causes immensely more tisue damage than other guns. I doubt there was much time to make a difference.

@roycroftmom To be fair and accurate, the firearm used most often in school shootings is in fact a handgun.

I looked at the 208 "school shooting incidents" that occurred between 2000-2018. This is a very loosely defined list. It includes gang fights on school grounds and even a target shooter that had a bullet miss the target and hit a child on a school palyground.

There were only 10 shootings that involved a rifle.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20475 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,684 Senior Member
    "It is also BS when people like Trump claim that they would have done better."

Well, I'll agree with you on that. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1322 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    There are two sides to every story and, through his attorney, the disgraced SRO is starting to tell his. I'm tempted to copy/paste parts of the statement, but it really needs to be read in full.

http://time.com/5176090/scot-peterson-not-coward-parkland-cop/

W need the tapes to see what really happened. Sure he may have thought one thing at first, but I am sure 911 and the radios lit up with all kind of info.
    · Reply · Share
  • busdriver11busdriver11 15179 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,207 Senior Member
    W need the tapes to see what really happened. Sure he may have thought one thing at first, but I am sure 911 and the radios lit up with all kind of info.

But wasn't this over the course of just a few minutes, where he was making calls and trying to give information and figure it out? I guess we'll have to wait and see what version of the truth is correct.

Though like usual, people want to put blame on a police officer, without knowing all the facts. What else is new.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15909 replies198 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,107 Senior Member
    @Consolation -- I agree with everything you say! Couldn't have said it better.
    · Reply · Share
  • anomanderanomander 1654 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,658 Senior Member
    @Cardinal Fang
    I'm not interested in spitting on the guy. I want to know why he did what he did, and what we should do better next time. I suggest two things: (1) change the training of police officers to put more emphasis on their bravery, selflessness and responsibility to the public and less emphasis on their own safety, and (2) make it more difficult to get guns.

I'm afraid, though, that it will always be difficult to expect a police officer who usually patrols school hallways looking for truants to suddenly shift gears and execute a probably suicidal attempt to stop a shooter. If we want school police officers to be ready to do sacrifice their lives to take down shooters, they have to get more specific, ongoing training. Or we could prevent shooters from getting guns.

Agree 100%. Name-calling is a distraction to what hopefully is the main goal of looking for lessons to be learned. At the end of the day we all the same thing - for our kids to be safe. Or least safer.
    · Reply · Share
  • sherpasherpa 4729 replies93 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,822 Senior Member
    I'll admit that I'm guilty of tending toward a knee jerk impulse to fault the police. But in this case it appears he's been scapegoated before enough of the facts are out to come to any conclusions.

I'm all for a "well regulated militia", but...
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22861 replies184 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,045 Senior Member
    Though like usual, people want to put blame on a police officer, without knowing all the facts. What else is new.

Oh, come on. The conventional stance these days is to kowtow to the military and police and blame the educators.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1322 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    But wasn't this over the course of just a few minutes, where he was making calls and trying to give information and figure it out? I guess we'll have to wait and see what version of the truth is correct.

Well the sheriff, his boss, threw him under the bus first. So I'm not sure what else there is to react to.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang 18222 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,378 Senior Member
    "Police officers nowadays are specifically trained to save themselves first." You source is???

Every single damn time a police officer panics and shoots an unarmed black male (or an armed black male like Philando Castile who is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon and who does nothing threatening) the same damn chorus comes out. "He has to think of his own safety."

For example, Officer Betty Jo Shelby shot an Terence Crutcher, unarmed black. We're trained to stop a threat, and by all indications, he was a threat." He wasn't a threat. Of course, Crutcher escaped any legal punishment.
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/us/tulsa-police-shooting-trial/index.html

· Reply · Share
  • busdriver11busdriver11 15179 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,207 Senior Member
    Oh, come on. The conventional stance these days is to kowtow to the military and police and blame the educators.

We must be living in different universes.

· Reply · Share
    Well the sheriff, his boss, threw him under the bus first. So I'm not sure what else there is to react to.

You never had a boss who was eager to sacrifice others before the truth came out, in order to save face for himself? Not the sign of a good leader, but someone who is anxious to cover their own butt.
    · Reply · Share
    You never had a boss who was eager to sacrifice others before the truth came out, in order to save face for himself? Not the sign of a good leader, but someone who is anxious to cover their own butt.

Well it didn't work. It seems people are blaming him and are looking for him to resign too.
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2549 replies125 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    I just think he panicked. I don’t believe he thought shots were on the outside. I think he has had over week to see the backlash so he formulated that response. Now I could be wrong but I just don’t believe him.
    · Reply · Share
  • sherpasherpa 4729 replies93 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,822 Senior Member
    ^That's certainly a possibility but, on the other hand, he might have performed exactly according to protocol. Neither would surprise me, but it bothers me that some seek to scapegoat him, hoping the deflection will derail the real debate.
    · Reply · Share
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2687 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,826 Senior Member
    I’m hesitant to pass judgment without an investigation, but it doesnt look good. It might make sense for police officers to wait for backup, in say a bank robbery, where the assumption is the situation can still be resolved without loss of life or serious injury. In an active shooter situation, I do expect the police to rush in. Nor should we attribute magical powers to an AR-15. Even if the shooter has an AR-15, it doesn’t mean he can hit the broad side of a barn.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2714 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,750 Senior Member
    Perhaps you should read this month's Atlantic magazine, which has the account of a Parkland hospital doctor who treated the casualties. That gun is intended to inflict the maximum amount of damage on the human body by shredding organs at a very rapid rate. He discusses the futility of treating those shot and his frustration.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8075 replies205 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,280 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Deputies union head is disputing Peterson's claim

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/officer-accused-of-failing-to-act-in-school-shooting-fights-back/ar-BBJDcAv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

It's hard to believe anyone took it as "firecracker." Maybe if it were a handgun. I would have thought an automatic weapon sounded different not that I ever heard it except in movies. The coach heard it and ran to it. He clearly didn't think it was a firecracker.

Israel should go, too, imo. There were 45 calls to the sheriff office about Cruz according to the news this morning.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2549 replies125 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
  • doschicosdoschicos 20475 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,684 Senior Member
    "It's hard to believe anyone took it as "firecracker." Maybe if it were a handgun."

Peterson received a first call saying it was firecrackers according to the articles. That's different than hearing it and coming to that conclusion himself. The school is comprised of more than one building so who knows how it sounded if you were elsewhere on campus. Noises have weird ways of echoing and bouncing off things that distorts them at a distance.

Bottom line, there isn't enough info made available to the public and armchair wannabe detectives to make an informed and educated opinion, IMO. I'm not defending the guy. I'm just unwilling to skewer the guy based on knowing next to nothing partly because I do think some have motivations other than just uncovering the truth.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity