right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

The Responsibility of Police Officers

Replies to: The Responsibility of Police Officers

• Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits 2479 replies41 threads Forum Champion
    edited February 2018
    @doschicos, I have never shot an AR 15, and I suck with a handgun so I am probably not the person to ask. But I am not sure it takes more skill to spray a room full of kids with a 9mm pistol as opposed to a AR 15. So if we are talking about "pumping out bullets in a limited amount of time" or stuff like the alleged "120 shots a minute" into a classroom or crowded cafeteria, then I am really not sure I see a difference. Plus the pistol is lighter, easier to conceal, etc. Which is why it is used far more often in homicides.

Shooting at a single target more than say ten yards away? Yep, I agree, the long gun of any type is much easier to use. And the AR 15 (which is the civilian model of the M 16 remember) is designed to be very easy to learn to use. I just don't think that is the metric here. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that most school shooters are not looking for one particular person in a crowd and trying to accurately hit that person. They are looking to hurt a lot of people generally in an enclosed space.

As I said above, the thing that would scare me the most would be a loon with a shotgun in an enclosed space. You could harm a whole lot of people very quickly with a Remington 870. And all you need is a hack saw to shorten the barrel and a screw driver to punch out the plug. By the way, the 870 is I think still the most popular firearm ever made, and Remington sold its 10 millionth copy about a decade ago.

I don't want to get too deep into this, but I do want to make one point about the current talking point that the muzzle velocity of the AR 15 makes it some type of uber dangerous weapon. There has been more written then any of us will ever want to read about the effect of muzzle velocity. There are shelves full of studies done on bullet tumble, windage, barrel twist, etc. There are even more done on the type of bullet used in a particular cartridge. Virtually everything I have ever read until two days ago (and I used to hand load a lot) indicates that velocity primarily effects accuracy at distance and that bullet construction and size primarily effects "stopping power" (and I apologize for using that phrase in this context, but when discussing hunting loads, that is the phrase used to describe the damage a particular load does to a game animal). The idea that everything written up to today should be tossed out because of a writer's interpretation of one doctor's reaction to a set of wounds is misplaced I think. An AR 15, or any firearm for that matter, is plenty dangerous enough as it is without having to make it sound worse.

That said, @Cardinal Fang you are not wrong that a long gun is more powerful than a hand gun, especially at distance. My point though is that over the likely distances involved here, meaning shots something less than ten to fifteen yards, I believe ballistics tells us there won't be much real difference, despite the report of the doctor's opinion. Also, I would really appreciate it if you would not truncate my quotes to make it appear I said something different than I did.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits 2479 replies41 threads Forum Champion
    And with a very small amount of practice, it takes someone around one second to drop an empty magazine, insert a new one and be ready to fire a handgun again. After watching just a few of the competitions, I quickly became disillusioned with the idea that banning large capacity magazines would make one iota of difference in these mass shooting situations. Even if each magazine only holds 10 bullets, it takes almost no time to switch them out, so I'm not convinced that's a factor in the casualty rate of the shootings.

Very true. I have seen guys who shoot a lot of pistol switch magazines in a couple seconds without even trying or thinking about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1323 replies1 threads Senior Member
    Talking about which gun "kills more" or is the "chosen weapon" is just noise. For everyone one of A, I can show you one of B. That's why banning something is just a feel good.

As for a SRO officer having a larger weapon available, they probably should, but the car may not be the best place.

Bottom line is most of these officers know what they are doing and could most likely successfully confront a single shooter with their handgun. What happened with the Broward County officers is a story which will unfold. Suffice it to say there where many governmental failures in this case.
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18503 replies72 threads Senior Member
    Maybe if you are the "good guy with a gun," you are trying to aim, and not to hit anything extraneous. If you are the typical school shooter, you are not trying to hit any particular person, you are sending as many bullets as possible in the general direction of clumps of people trying to cause as much damage and terror as possible. You don't need to aim, to be accurate, more than at a barn-door level. It's not going to matter if your arm gets tired. You're not being scored on points for form, and you generally don't expect to be alive more than a few more minutes.

All these arguments why banning assault rifles doesn't solve the problem: Of course it doesn't solve the problem! The problem is guns. It would be great to limit all of them severely, but the Second Amendment probably doesn't allow that. But if you ban assault rifles, or do something to make them prohibitively expensive, maybe you divert two or three potential shooters whose mental image of the act wouldn't be satisfied with handguns, and maybe some of the others who switch to handguns leave more victims with survivable wounds. Incremental is OK, if you wind up saving incremental lives.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 26820 replies269 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Here's one from a trauma surgeon and 24 year veteran of the Navy and it's not from this week. First one that came up on a search. I'm sure I could find more.

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/ar-15-can-human-body/ :-??

ETA:

Here's another from 2015 (there are so many to choose from!)
    Scroll down to the part with the question: Does it matter what kind of gun a victim is shot with?
    https://www.thetrace.org/2015/09/bullet-injuries-wounds-trauma-surgery/
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
    Again, distance is a huge variable. And the relevant metric isn’t “most powerful” it is the relative difference in the force delivered by a round (and the performance of the round on impact) at close quarters and whether the difference in this context is significant. Based on what I know about ballistics generally it is just hard to see how a person shot with a 9mm hollow point slug fired from a pistol at twenty feet say has an appreciably lower survivability rate than a person shot in the same place with a round fired from an AR 15 from the same distance. That’s what I am saying.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 4597 replies40 threads Senior Member
    The US army considers the military model of AR15 the most lethal practical weapon for its soldiers in combat. I really think they have the definitive opinion on this issue of military grade assault weaponry
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6954 replies143 threads Senior Member
    For the people who argue that it would not help anything to ban this or that type of weapon - would it be harmful to anyone to do so?
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kids4us4kids4us 1150 replies4 threads Senior Member
    @Iglooo . People who have never heard gunshots, and well, even some people who have, can't often distinguish b/w gunshots and fireworks. Sadly, there is an area of town a few miles from me that has a lot of crime/drug activity. It borders, as in, directly across the residential street, homes that range in price from $550K to a million dollars. I belong to the area FB page and there are regularly postings from people that live in that neighborhood asking "Was that fireworks or gunshots" and then there is an ensuing debate, but almost every single time someone responds that they already called police and it nearly always turns out to be fireworks. Unfortunately though, there have been murders/shootings there, including a high school senior killed just before Christmas a couple of months ago so people err on the side of caution when they are unsure.
    · Reply · Share
    For the people who argue that it would not help anything to ban this or that type of weapon - would it be harmful to anyone to do so?

Only if you don't believe in the constitution. And if we are flippant about the 2nd amendment how long before we are flippant with the first, fourth, 14th. Unfortunately, we may already be down that road with those rights.
    · Reply · Share
    @roycroftmom, I don’t mean to be nit picky, but the US Army (and Marines I am pretty sure) standard issue weapon is an M4. The m4 is basically a shortened version of the m16/ar15. They all shoot the same NATO 5:56 round, but the M4 has less muzzle velocity ( which is a function here if barrel length). Which I guess is another data point that muzzle velocity is not the be all end all some assume.
    · Reply · Share
    So as this thread heads all over the place. For you ballistics guys, is there anything they can do to the ammunition?
    If you think about the golf ball, USGA has design rules to limit its flight.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 4597 replies40 threads Senior Member
    We have common sense rules that limit the other amendments as well. Free speech is not boundless if you scream fire in a crowded theater, as we all know. Sensible limitations are also applied to the 4th amendment, and we live quite well with those. There is no reason common sense must be abandoned for the sake of the second amendment.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6954 replies143 threads Senior Member
    yourmomma wrote:
    Only if you don't believe in the constitution. And if we are flippant about the 2nd amendment how long before we are flippant with the first, fourth, 14th.
    I would suggest that we are already flippant about the 2nd amendment. In NYS and many other states it is illegal to own a switchblade or many types of martial arts weapons, which are certainly a type of armament. It seems unlikely that I could go out and practice using a cannon, which is technically a gun. Hand grenades? Flamethrowers? Shoulder-mounted grenade launcher? Maybe not.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 26820 replies269 threads Senior Member
    " And if we are flippant about the 2nd amendment how long before we are flippant with the first, fourth, 14th. Unfortunately, we may already be down that road with those rights."

You do realize the constitution has been amended many times, right? 19th Amendment to give women the right to vote, 13th Amendment abolishing slavery, 18th Amendment banning alcohol and the subsequent 21st Amendment repealing the 18th. The forefathers weren't all knowing. The Constitution gets rewritten to contemporary times and issues. I doubt the forefathers foresaw mass shootings and the weaponry available now. The Constitution is a living document. Besides, commonsense gun policies doesn't equal = zero guns.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 42268 replies2281 threads Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please get the thread back on topic - it has drifted far away from the original topic.
    · Reply · Share
  • GloriaVaughnGloriaVaughn 548 replies1 threads Member
    As an active police officer he knows from training the difference between a firecracker and a gun shot. Even I can tell the difference. While there are different sounds within a school, his years there would tell him what is normal and what isn't. Sounds will echo in a school but again, from his time there, he has a much better idea of where the sound is coming from. Even I can tell the direction that a gun shot came from. All of this is part of his training along with active shooter training. Schools across the country now do active shooter training. Some are implementing a new program called ALICE. https://www.alicetraining.com/about-us/ IMO, the police chief didn't throw him under the bus but based his actions after reviewing the video and the comment from the other police chief. The resource officer failed to due his duty and follow his training.
    · Reply · Share
    You do realize the constitution has been amended many times, right? 19th Amendment to give women the right to vote, 13th Amendment abolishing slavery, 18th Amendment banning alcohol and the subsequent 21st Amendment repealing the 18th. The forefathers weren't all knowing. The Constitution gets rewritten to contemporary times and issues. I doubt the forefathers foresaw mass shootings and the weaponry available now. The Constitution is a living document. Besides, commonsense gun policies doesn't equal = zero guns.

You do realize how hard it is to amended the constitution. Especially to take away a current right. And yes, right are not unlimited. But look at what is happening these days. "Hate speech" is being declared "unconstitutional" by talking heads. We should take these right seriously, whether we like them or not.

But getting back to the original discussion. It is now being reported that they where ordered not to go in unless their body camera's, which they didn't have, where on. At what point do we expect our police to act with regard to the situation at hand and not follow some policy from some desk jockey?
    · Reply · Share
    As an active police officer he knows from training the difference between a firecracker and a gun shot. Even I can tell the difference. While there are different sounds within a school, his years there would tell him what is normal and what isn't. Sounds will echo in a school but again, from his time there, he has a much better idea of where the sound is coming from. Even I can tell the direction that a gun shot came from.

Yeah. Any trained person should be able to tell the difference from a firecracker. I used to work in a rough neighborhood. You could hear the difference.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    @yourmomma, you would probably have to limit the type of powder that is sold (slower, less efficient powder equaling less force - I think) to limit the velocity of the round if that were actually a legitimate concern. But there are so many other things in play, like the performance of the slug on impact, which have a far greater effect on lethiality that I don't honestly know how much good it would do. Coupling that with the fact that muzzle velocity plays a significant role in accuracy at distance, so efficient powders would still likely be available for those applications, and it is not likely that much could practically be done to slow the round down considerably.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity