right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Responsibility of Police Officers

Replies to: The Responsibility of Police Officers

• roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2666 replies137 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,803 Senior Member
    I’m hesitant to pass judgment without an investigation, but it doesnt look good. It might make sense for police officers to wait for backup, in say a bank robbery, where the assumption is the situation can still be resolved without loss of life or serious injury. In an active shooter situation, I do expect the police to rush in. Nor should we attribute magical powers to an AR-15. Even if the shooter has an AR-15, it doesn’t mean he can hit the broad side of a barn.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 2700 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,736 Senior Member
    Perhaps you should read this month's Atlantic magazine, which has the account of a Parkland hospital doctor who treated the casualties. That gun is intended to inflict the maximum amount of damage on the human body by shredding organs at a very rapid rate. He discusses the futility of treating those shot and his frustration.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8051 replies205 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,256 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Deputies union head is disputing Peterson's claim

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/officer-accused-of-failing-to-act-in-school-shooting-fights-back/ar-BBJDcAv?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

It's hard to believe anyone took it as "firecracker." Maybe if it were a handgun. I would have thought an automatic weapon sounded different not that I ever heard it except in movies. The coach heard it and ran to it. He clearly didn't think it was a firecracker.

Israel should go, too, imo. There were 45 calls to the sheriff office about Cruz according to the news this morning.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2549 replies125 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
  • doschicosdoschicos 20426 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,635 Senior Member
    "It's hard to believe anyone took it as "firecracker." Maybe if it were a handgun."

Peterson received a first call saying it was firecrackers according to the articles. That's different than hearing it and coming to that conclusion himself. The school is comprised of more than one building so who knows how it sounded if you were elsewhere on campus. Noises have weird ways of echoing and bouncing off things that distorts them at a distance.

Bottom line, there isn't enough info made available to the public and armchair wannabe detectives to make an informed and educated opinion, IMO. I'm not defending the guy. I'm just unwilling to skewer the guy based on knowing next to nothing partly because I do think some have motivations other than just uncovering the truth.
    · Reply · Share
  • IgloooIglooo 8051 replies205 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,256 Senior Member
    Do you get a call when a firecracker goes off? First of all, we are not skewing him for nothing. It was his boss who put it on him. What else were we supposed to think? Yes, there could be more to this since the investigation is taking so long. Naive me thinks it's just a matter of viewing the video/audio tape that can't be more than 10-15 minutes long.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20426 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,635 Senior Member
    "Do you get a call when a firecracker goes off?"
    At a school when you are a SRO, my guess is probably yes.

"What else were we supposed to think?"

I can't tell you what you are supposed to think. I'm just telling you that I think I don't have enough info to form a reasonable opinion. Experience has taught me not to jump to conclusions based on very little concrete info and just emotions. This guy may well deserve being skewered but neither side has provided enough details to garner my support for their claims. What exactly do we know? Next to nothing.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16721 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,877 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Nor should we attribute magical powers to an AR-15. Even if the shooter has an AR-15, it doesn’t mean he can hit the broad side of a barn.

Come on. If you shoot an AR-15 into a crowd of students, you are hitting someone. Olympic caliber marksmanship is not required.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
    In fact, that's the selling point of the AR-15 and what makes it popular: easy of use and the firing power
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6633 replies140 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,773 Senior Member
    If they arm 20-40% of the teachers in every school, it would require retraining the police to yell "ARE YOU THE SHOOTER?!!" in every active shooter situation. Probably complicate things a bit.
    · Reply · Share
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine 215 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Interestingly, more Americans were killed by rifles during the 10 years of the 1994 Assualt Weapons Ban than have been killed by rifles in the 13 years since it was allowed to expire. I'd say 99.5% of the population would never guess that to be true.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 2018
    ^how is that relevant to the discussion and can the same be said for mass shootings of the type that are being talked about here with the Parkland shooting?

Additionally if you are going to state something that should have statistical backing, it would be helpful to have a legitimate source to link to.

https://www.factcheck.org/2013/02/did-the-1994-assault-weapons-ban-work/

Also, crime has been on a downtrend overall despite headlines and that is due to a range of factors.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 2451 replies41 discussionsForum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,492 Forum Champion
    edited February 2018
    Interestingly, more Americans were killed by rifles during the 10 years of the 1994 Assualt Weapons Ban than have been killed by rifles in the 13 years since it was allowed to expire. I'd say 99.5% of the population would never guess that to be true.

^the complete lack of knowledge about firearms generally in the media culture is really something. MSNBC spent two/three days banging on about the difference in muzzle velocity between an AR 15 and a couple different hand guns. It is sad that people really seem to think this somehow makes a difference to anything at all.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Time2ShineTime2Shine 215 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    @doschicos I'm just offering non-partisan statistical info relevant to the discussion of rifles in this thread. If people choose to talk about them I believe it best that everyone involved has all the pertinent information.

Check out the FBI Uniform Crime reports that I took the information from. It's pretty labor intensive, though.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/ucr-publications.

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity