right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Squirrels: Feed or Repel?

13»

Replies to: Squirrels: Feed or Repel?

• doschicosdoschicos 26290 replies265 threads Senior Member
    I gave up on tulips between the deer eating the tops and the chipmunks and squirrels eating the bulbs.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 35823 replies396 threads Senior Member
    I don't like ANY rodents--they cause destruction and our house is made of wood. I don't want any burrowing and gnawing or anything! The birds have to forage for themselves, we won't feed them either, intentionally. It's enough that we have trees that have fruits that they like to eat but have to work for.
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3286 replies47 threads Senior Member
    My mom spends a lot of time sitting at the table, looking out the window. The birds have really perked her up- the squirrels too, for that matter. Today we had chickadees, cardinals, and mourning doves. The gymnast squirrel kept climbing the crisco-covered pole, and kept sliding back down.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 9189 replies42 threads Senior Member
    I didn't think we had so much wildlife until they ate every single satsuma off my tree. Blue jays and squirrels were the main culprits. Squirrels would take one bite and just leave it there and insects would come and hollow it out. B-stids!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 40847 replies475 threads Senior Member
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 1218 replies3 threads Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner OMG ... the slow motion! I just spit iced tea all over my keyboard. =))
    · Reply · Share
  • psychmommapsychmomma 3286 replies47 threads Senior Member
    After trying Crisco on the pole, various peppers (cayenne, chili, flakes, etc.) in the feeders, and a slinky, we have finally reached a compromise with our squirrels. I switched to an 8 ft shepherds hook with a slinky - my previous pole was 6 feet and the squirrels could jump from the ground. The squirrels have given up trying to climb the poles. I let them eat out of our other bird feeder that hangs across the yard, but our window view is wonderful each day. Cardinals, sparrows, chickadees and more feed in peace now. And it's almost time to put out the hummingbird feeders!
    · Reply · Share
    Great to hear that the bushy tailed rats lost the battle over the feeder and do not spoil your morning view. :)

Our hummers have been very active lately. We need to get a feeder for them because they are periodically checking out the plants on my kitchen window. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • NJresNJres 6099 replies189 threads Senior Member
    I put a slinky over our pole and in 2 days the darn squirrel was scampering up the pole as if the slinky wasn't there. So I slid some mouse traps in the slinky. It's day to day....
    · Reply · Share
  • partyof5partyof5 2587 replies126 threads Senior Member
    You know what I don’t get? I’m am scared to DEATH of a mouse or rat, but squirrels don’t bother me all. Go figure...
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 4196 replies85 threads Senior Member
    I just call it a wildlife feeder and call it a day.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemamomeyemamom 5428 replies79 threads Senior Member
    I started naming the squirrels. The leader was called broken tail, very clever right? We have walnut trees so they occupy themselves mostly with that. We do hummingbird feeders. To me it’s not the squirrels I hate, it’s the groundhogs.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13230 replies83 threads Senior Member
    Why all the angst about squirrels? It's the deer I hate.

You can hit a squirrel with your car and nothing bad happens to the car.
    · Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7366 replies135 threads Senior Member
    PSA: I live in NYC. My neighborhood has tons of squirrels and a fair number of tourists. The tourists feed the squirrels. They don't have to deal with the results. We do. The squirrels now feel that any food in a human hand or near it is for them. They are jumping into strollers and grabbing food out of a toddler's hand. Climbing up onto the outdoor tables at the local restaurant and taking people's food. The local authorities tried to poison the squirrels. This was not only a risk to small kids--who'd ingest the poisoned bait--but it killed at least 4 falcons who ate squirrels who had ingested the poison.

So when you visit a city, please do not take a break on a park bench and feed the squirrels!!!!
    · Reply · Share
    Deer deserve their own thread... cute pests.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity