Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Squirrels: Feed or Repel?

Replies to: Squirrels: Feed or Repel?

• MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    We have squirrel-proof feeders that hang from tree limbs. We had to work on the hanging mechanism because the squirrels learned to swing the feeders enough to get the seed to spill out. The nice thing is that the distance between the perches and the feeding holes is such that the larger birds (jays and grackles) can't contort themselves enough to feed, so the finches get most of the food. The doves and squirrels and chipmunks eat what falls to the ground, and the hawks eat the doves and squirrels and chipmunks.

And an air rifle would be better than a .22 to deal with any problem rodents, according to a friend.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    I am not a fan of feeding squirrels but during a prolonged cold spell this winter I noticed that a squirrel spent two days trying to extract a walnut from the frozen ground. I gave it a couple of more hours and he was successful. Poor little guy.

A bird bath is an excellent way to enjoy the birds.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,623 Senior Member
    "...extract a walnut from the frozen ground."

He must have been the one who played Scrat the squirrel in Ice Age! :)
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,345 Senior Member
    Growing up in the suburbs outside Phila, semi rural, at the time, I don't remember a squirrel problem or even seeing them in my neighborhood. Now, in New England, they're everywhere.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 2,769 Senior Member
    We have a bird feeder on a pole with baffle, kept away from anything squirrels can jump on to reach the feeder.

I stopped buying bird feed because the feeders were overtaken by house sparrows and starlings. Boooo!
  • travelnuttravelnut Registered User Posts: 1,955 Senior Member
    Waving a white flag. Feeders in our wooded setting bring squirrels and chipmunks. In spite of loving to see the birds, we gave up years ago. Even the dropped seeds from a secure bird feeder attract them near the house. Not that I ever could secure the feeder...
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,979 Senior Member
    The squirrels aren't going to leave (they've been around for several years) so I'm trying a corn cob feeder on the other side of the yard to coax them away from the bird feeders. I've been enjoying several cardinals all day. They do like the safflower seeds!
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,623 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    We had a fountain in our old yard that was attracting a lot of chickadees and hummingbirds. Those were fun to watch! Especially, the territory disputes between the species. :)
  • bookwormbookworm Registered User Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    I think of squirrels as tree rats.hate them. Pressed my gardener to cut the branches that were close to roof yesterday.

After hurricane in 2005, these rats invaded my house. So scary and destructive.
  • MaterSMaterS Registered User Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    INRE: @bunsenburner post Checkout some of the youtube videos of hummingbird disputes. Very comical.

The ground squirrels in my neighborhood are very destructive. They burrow under driveways and cause them to collapse.

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 20,367 Senior Member
    I gave up on tulips between the deer eating the tops and the chipmunks and squirrels eating the bulbs.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    I don't like ANY rodents--they cause destruction and our house is made of wood. I don't want any burrowing and gnawing or anything! The birds have to forage for themselves, we won't feed them either, intentionally. It's enough that we have trees that have fruits that they like to eat but have to work for.
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,979 Senior Member
    My mom spends a lot of time sitting at the table, looking out the window. The birds have really perked her up- the squirrels too, for that matter. Today we had chickadees, cardinals, and mourning doves. The gymnast squirrel kept climbing the crisco-covered pole, and kept sliding back down.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,639 Senior Member
    I didn't think we had so much wildlife until they ate every single satsuma off my tree. Blue jays and squirrels were the main culprits. Squirrels would take one bite and just leave it there and insects would come and hollow it out. B-stids!
This discussion has been closed.