Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Squirrels: Feed or Repel?

124»

Replies to: Squirrels: Feed or Repel?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,640 Senior Member
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 1,185 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner OMG ... the slow motion! I just spit iced tea all over my keyboard. =))
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,981 Senior Member
    After trying Crisco on the pole, various peppers (cayenne, chili, flakes, etc.) in the feeders, and a slinky, we have finally reached a compromise with our squirrels. I switched to an 8 ft shepherds hook with a slinky - my previous pole was 6 feet and the squirrels could jump from the ground. The squirrels have given up trying to climb the poles. I let them eat out of our other bird feeder that hangs across the yard, but our window view is wonderful each day. Cardinals, sparrows, chickadees and more feed in peace now. And it's almost time to put out the hummingbird feeders!
    Great to hear that the bushy tailed rats lost the battle over the feeder and do not spoil your morning view. :)

Our hummers have been very active lately. We need to get a feeder for them because they are periodically checking out the plants on my kitchen window. :)
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,145 Senior Member
    I put a slinky over our pole and in 2 days the darn squirrel was scampering up the pole as if the slinky wasn't there. So I slid some mouse traps in the slinky. It's day to day....
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    You know what I don’t get? I’m am scared to DEATH of a mouse or rat, but squirrels don’t bother me all. Go figure...
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    I just call it a wildlife feeder and call it a day.
  • eyemamomeyemamom Registered User Posts: 5,405 Senior Member
    I started naming the squirrels. The leader was called broken tail, very clever right? We have walnut trees so they occupy themselves mostly with that. We do hummingbird feeders. To me it’s not the squirrels I hate, it’s the groundhogs.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,218 Senior Member
    Why all the angst about squirrels? It's the deer I hate.

You can hit a squirrel with your car and nothing bad happens to the car.
  • jonrijonri Registered User Posts: 7,387 Senior Member
    PSA: I live in NYC. My neighborhood has tons of squirrels and a fair number of tourists. The tourists feed the squirrels. They don't have to deal with the results. We do. The squirrels now feel that any food in a human hand or near it is for them. They are jumping into strollers and grabbing food out of a toddler's hand. Climbing up onto the outdoor tables at the local restaurant and taking people's food. The local authorities tried to poison the squirrels. This was not only a risk to small kids--who'd ingest the poisoned bait--but it killed at least 4 falcons who ate squirrels who had ingested the poison.

So when you visit a city, please do not take a break on a park bench and feed the squirrels!!!!
    Deer deserve their own thread... cute pests.
This discussion has been closed.