Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suggestions for finding summer housing in Boston for internship

Replies to: Suggestions for finding summer housing in Boston for internship

• fretfulmotherfretfulmother Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    Lol @SwimmingDad I was about to say you only really need AC for a week or less per summer. :) Yes we're in Somerville!
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    Craigslist. (Have never had AC)

If you go on early enough, airbnb can work too. There is currently a room in Cambridge that would be perfect. PM me. But if he wants to live in a group housing situation craigslist works fine.
  • SwimmingDadSwimmingDad Registered User Posts: 923 Member
    Admittedly I'm a heat wimp...a total heat wimp in fact. But I also have memories of having people crash at my apartments (St. Germain by Symphony Hall; South End) 20+ years ago during summer heat waves....because I always had some level of AC. :-)
  • Ballerina016Ballerina016 Registered User Posts: 1,672 Senior Member
    MIT fraternities rent to non MIT students of all genders during the summer. Also you might want to try website Boston apartment sublet. DD stayed last summer in MIT frat house without AC and I didn’t hear any complains.
  • fretfulmotherfretfulmother Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    It's so funny about heat/AC - I have friends in LA who are proud that they've never turned on their heat. But when we lived there for several years, I used it every winter. :)
  • LakeCarnegieLakeCarnegie Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Thanks all. Many good suggestions. His internship is east of East Cambridge, past Lechmere Square, near the Museum of Science.
    I'll pass on your suggestions.

BTW, a year ago this son was contemplating changing schools, and at my suggestion, he posted on the Parents' Forum, asking for help. He got a lot of good advice and found it very helpful. The responses were caring and insightful.
  • MastadonMastadon Registered User Posts: 1,777 Senior Member
    Here is a map of public transportation in Cambridge. There is an EZ ride bus in that area. There is also the Science Park stop on the Green Line (which will go to BU) and possibly the Charles/MGH stop on the Red Line (which will go to MIT/Harvard and Tufts).

http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/Files/CDD/Maps/transportation/cddmap_public_transit.pdf?la=en
  • warbrainwarbrain Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    I have heard from friends that it can be difficult to rent from MIT frats if you are male, they tend to want women.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,640 Senior Member
    "MIT also has summer rentals (I think their frat housing)."

+1. Yes, those frat houses rent to out of towners and all genders.

Here is BU:

http://www.bu.edu/summerinternhousing/
  • shawbridgeshawbridge Registered User Posts: 5,686 Senior Member
    I think my D had a summer room in a BU frat/apartment. All male roommates who were nice and helpful. @warbrain, I didn't think about it, but it probably didn't hurt that she was tall, thin, pretty and charmingly outgoing. My recollection is that they were protective of her and even cleaned up much more than they had done in the past.
    Hi @Ballerina016 Can you tell me if the MIT frats during the summer have the stereotypical drinking, etc atmosphere? What was your daughter's experience?
    @shawbridge how did she find this BU summer apt sublet.
    I just checked the BU internship housing sight and was blown away by the prices: $1400-1800/month. Is that typical?
  • Ballerina016Ballerina016 Registered User Posts: 1,672 Senior Member
    @LakeCarnegie Yes, but if you aren’t interested as my DD wasn’t it’s not a problem. It’s an MIT frat after all.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    If you don't end up with AC, make sure the windows open! I spent a miserable summer in a Somerville apartment because the windows were painted shut and we couldn't get them open.

I will say that if you are used to AC, no matter where you are from, it's hard to go without it. We never had it in MA, then we moved to Texas for three years where it's in every house.. When we came back to MA, we bought window units for the bedrooms because we had turned into heat wimps. And in our next house, we had central air and used it almost daily in the hot and humid weather.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,452 Senior Member
    Housing in Boston is expensive (even the colleges charge a lot for dorm rooms). The price you quote seems reasonable. Remember you are only paying for the summer (so 2-3 months?)
This discussion has been closed.