right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Suggestions for finding summer housing in Boston for internship

2»

Replies to: Suggestions for finding summer housing in Boston for internship

• LakeCarnegieLakeCarnegie 7 replies3 threads New Member
    Thanks all. Many good suggestions. His internship is east of East Cambridge, past Lechmere Square, near the Museum of Science.
    I'll pass on your suggestions.

BTW, a year ago this son was contemplating changing schools, and at my suggestion, he posted on the Parents' Forum, asking for help. He got a lot of good advice and found it very helpful. The responses were caring and insightful.
    · Reply · Share
  • MastadonMastadon 1765 replies50 threads Senior Member
    Here is a map of public transportation in Cambridge. There is an EZ ride bus in that area. There is also the Science Park stop on the Green Line (which will go to BU) and possibly the Charles/MGH stop on the Red Line (which will go to MIT/Harvard and Tufts).

http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/Files/CDD/Maps/transportation/cddmap_public_transit.pdf?la=en
    · Reply · Share
  • warbrainwarbrain 693 replies23 threads Member
    I have heard from friends that it can be difficult to rent from MIT frats if you are male, they tend to want women.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 41245 replies479 threads Senior Member
    "MIT also has summer rentals (I think their frat housing)."

+1. Yes, those frat houses rent to out of towners and all genders.

Here is BU:

http://www.bu.edu/summerinternhousing/
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5890 replies54 threads Senior Member
    I think my D had a summer room in a BU frat/apartment. All male roommates who were nice and helpful. @warbrain, I didn't think about it, but it probably didn't hurt that she was tall, thin, pretty and charmingly outgoing. My recollection is that they were protective of her and even cleaned up much more than they had done in the past.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi @Ballerina016 Can you tell me if the MIT frats during the summer have the stereotypical drinking, etc atmosphere? What was your daughter's experience?
    · Reply · Share
    @shawbridge how did she find this BU summer apt sublet.
    I just checked the BU internship housing sight and was blown away by the prices: $1400-1800/month. Is that typical?
    · Reply · Share
  • Ballerina016Ballerina016 1622 replies69 threads Senior Member
    @LakeCarnegie Yes, but if you aren’t interested as my DD wasn’t it’s not a problem. It’s an MIT frat after all.
    · Reply · Share
  • MassmommMassmomm 4221 replies85 threads Senior Member
    If you don't end up with AC, make sure the windows open! I spent a miserable summer in a Somerville apartment because the windows were painted shut and we couldn't get them open.

I will say that if you are used to AC, no matter where you are from, it's hard to go without it. We never had it in MA, then we moved to Texas for three years where it's in every house.. When we came back to MA, we bought window units for the bedrooms because we had turned into heat wimps. And in our next house, we had central air and used it almost daily in the hot and humid weather.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiddiekiddie 3835 replies239 threads Senior Member
    Housing in Boston is expensive (even the colleges charge a lot for dorm rooms). The price you quote seems reasonable. Remember you are only paying for the summer (so 2-3 months?)
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5890 replies54 threads Senior Member
    @LakeCarnegie, I believe she knew someone whose brother was in the fraternity, but I will ask. The guys were very nice to her. Cleaned up a lot more than they would have.

Boston rent is quite high generally, including dorms. However, kids with apartments often sublet their rooms for the summer. I think the price on those can be lower, depending on how desperate they are to find someone.
    · Reply · Share
  • ciervociervo 732 replies215 threads Member
    My daughter's sublet, found on Craiglist, was $1000/month plus utilities for a private room with A/C in a two bedroom apartment right at Davis Square on the Red Line. There are a lot of these single rooms in apartments or group houses available in Cambridge and Somerville for $800-1200/month. She looked at dorms, but they were more expensive, less conveniently located, often were shared rooms with no AC, and had no or limited cooking facilities.
    I did have to help her with the Craigslist listings, to sort out the real ones from the scams that were rampant that summer.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks ciervo. Our son has a possible sublet near his job for $1215. I am flooded that the rents are so high in Cambridge. His roommate will be paying that as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • ciervociervo 732 replies215 threads Member
    @LakeCarnegie, if that one doesn't work out, I just came across a FB group called "Boston Housing, Rooms, Apartments, Sublets" that has a lot of activity. Look at the section called "Discussion".
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity