Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rental car bait & switch

Replies to: Rental car bait & switch

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    I think the car rental companies don't care much about what's good for the renters, just what's quick and easy for them and their workers so that there can be as short a time as possible between return and re-renting. If they can scan the code when the car door is shut, maybe it helps them shave a fraction of a second (though they do have to check to be sure the tank is full--gotta charge extra if there's a drop missing from the gas tank).

It's really making it undesirable to rent cars any more. :(
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,598 Senior Member
    They do, however, care about theft related damage to their rental cars.
    Nah, as long as they can get the renter to pay for the loss including one as of use, I honestly don’t think they care much.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,011 Senior Member
    When friends lived in NY...they just left the car windows down. No valuables...no radio. But at least they didn’t end up with smashed windows. Folks could just look in...and see there was nothing to take.

Oh...and junky cars too. No one wanted those!
    When we left our car unlocked, some rudesbys decided to smoke in the car and leave butts in the ashtrays! So rude and entitled!
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,352 Senior Member
    @HImom -read my post #47 if you want a positive rental experience.
  • 3puppies3puppies Registered User Posts: 1,715 Senior Member
    The happiest car rental story we had was from Hertz, and it was on our Honeymoon. We had flown in to Hawaii, and like many newlyweds do, we were wearing matching personalized T-shirts with our names and our wedding date. SIL had made them for us to wear on the plane in hopes that we could get a seat upgrade - it worked for the first flight of our trip (as far as LA), but after connecting, we were stuck in coach for the final leg. We were exhausted when we arrived at the Hertz counter and had totally forgotten we were wearing the identifying shirts, but instead of the compact we reserved, we were upgraded to a midsize convertible, at the same price as our compact. I am sure the Lihue airport sees newlyweds all day long, every day, and I am sure they can't upgrade most of them, but we will never forget how special they made us feel.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Registered User Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    I just returned from my annual Arizona trip and as usual was very happy with my car rental experience. Recently I have rented from Costco -Budget, but for this trip (expensive spring training season) Hertz in my usual off airport location with the AAA discount was more reasonable. For the most part I reserve economy and then am happy with whatever I am given, which is usually something that does well on the curvy mountain roads. Both locations have given me some very nice cars.

Another happy story. When renting in France last year, I did damage the bottom of the front bumper a bit on the SUV like vehicle they gave me (again for economy prices). It was very large for parking in a French village, and I pulled up too close to a rock, ignoring the appropriate warning beeps for coming too close to objects. I was quoted 1000 Euros for repair. But they fixed it for 250E and refunded the rest to my credit card. My insurance would cover regardless, but I appreciated the refund.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,352 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    Recently we needed a weekend rental and Enterprise was running a sale. There is one very near us but the inventory is often low and we wanted to have enough room (at one point we were having 5 people , 4 with luggage in the car) so decided to "splurge" and get the intermediate instead of the compact. It cost $2 more a day. W had it from Friday early morning and could have had it til Tuesday morning (but returned it Monday afternoon) and it cost $74 total.Could have saved $8 and hoped for an upgrade, but we were fine with this price. It was a perfectly comfortable relatively new Ford Focus with about $3k miles on it. The only problem is when I went to get gas (the local place only gives 1/4 tank) it somehow took a turn into the donut store and bought a dozen donuts!

:P :P
    Well, I'm pleased to report that after I wrote a rather scathing e-review of Budget Car Rental, I got an IMMEDIATE email response from a manager there. At first the manager said they would of course offer me an upgrade AT NO EXTRA CHARGE if my category of car is unavailable and I replied that was NOT what happened and repeated the sequence of events, including the $100 upcharge without our knowledge or consent.

The manager said that is contrary to Budget policy and he will investigate further.
    At least they are attempting to be responsive. He's also trying to credit me for the coupon they disallowed when I rented my vehicle.
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 2,397 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    Curious if anyone has rented a car using the “add a car” offered by the airlines on their site? I had already reserved a car through Costco but was offered the same class of car through the same company (Budget I think) for less $$s and extra airline miles when I went in to pick out my seats. I have not reserved this way in the past and wonder if I am at higher risk for problems. I need to be on time for that campus tour!
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    ^^ I rented through Southwest once in Chicago. I had already booked a car elsewhere, then cancelled when I saw that Southwest's offer was better. I forget who they partnered with, but it was one of the major companies, located at the airport, and we had no problems.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,639 Senior Member
    I often book through SW. You go to the car's site for your receipt and all, but you can pull up your car reservation details with your flight details, which is convenient. You also get extra SW points, if that matters to you.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    I'm on a trip now. The SW offer through Hertz was $100 more than the Hotwire price I got. Not worth the 2500 points for $100.
    Well, Budget is finally deciding to give me back $25. Not sure how we will get our $ back and am curious.

They say they hope we will use them for our future needs—hmmm if they’re the only car available, we may consider it or just do Lyft. :(
This discussion has been closed.