Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rental car bait & switch

123457»

Replies to: Rental car bait & switch

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    Costco says Budget will also be refunding us an additional $40, since it rented us a vehicle small ER than the one we had reserved.

I thanked Costco but told them I was mostly concerned about the bait & switch where they wanted to upcharge us $100 without our knowledge and consent. I said I hoped they’d get Budget to discontinue this unfair and deceptive practice.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 18,576 Senior Member
    Here's a good rental car story:

DH visited S1 and DIL in North Dakota. He rented a car to get him from the Airport City to S1's Residence (an hour and a half trip). The plan was that he would drive back to Airport City on Monday, drop the car off at the airport, and fly home. Instead, there was a significant blizzard on Monday, so that didn't happen. He called Avis and told them he wouldn't be returning the car on Monday. When he finally returned the car on Tuesday, they didn't charge him any extra for the additional day. ;;)

(Now that DH is finally home in CT, he gets to sit through the same blizzard today!)
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 1,193 Senior Member
    its helpful to me to now know that the agents are on commission for any upsales. I feel like we've been pressured alot over the years; now i'll handle it a bit differently.

but speaking of smash and grab in SF -- visited my sis there 2 weeks ago; she left her wallet on her drivers seat in her car parked outside on a street over night -- and it was there in the morning. She was so happy and surprised. She's had her car broken into in SF and Seattle many many times.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    @bgbg4us, I’m curious as to how you’ll handle things differently if agents get commission for upslks and getting folks to buy add-ons. Can you elaborate? Thanks.
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 4,065 Senior Member
    I've rented cars via Jet Blue add-a-car and gotten good prices.
  • chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 935 Member
    This is why I always go with Hertz
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    I just got back from Napa. I reserved a car with Hertz using my USAA discount. Picked up the car at the Sacramento airport. The desk agent was delightful and never once asked about an upgrade or tried to push a different car on us. She told us we had a choice of cars from a designated area in the parking lot. We had one small glitch when we dropped the car back at the airport. The guy at the drop off point in the parking lot could not check us back in - we had to go back inside to the desk. I didn’t even notice, the receipt given to me after we selected our car and departed the parking lot showed that we had a Nissan. However, the car we had been driving was a Ford. I was a little nervous that might be a big issue but the guy inside easily figured out how to correct it. When he confirmed the price, it was about $6 higher than what I’d been quoted by USAA and Hertz the day I picked up the car. Not a big deal, but I did point that out to him and he quickly corrected that as well.

Out of curiousity for a price comparison with my USAA discount, I did try to book a rental thru SWA after getting an email with my flight confirmation. I tried several times by clicking on the link in the email and even went directly to the SWA website. Every single time it had some sort of error code saying that the reward or discount was invalid. I gave up thinking it most likely wouldn’t be any cheaper than my USAA discount.
  • TempeMomTempeMom Registered User Posts: 2,975 Senior Member
    I just got back from a trip--flying into SFO and budget rent a car. You guys had me nervous. In fact they upgraded, no charge, me to a car I loved (Infinity SUV).
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,061 Senior Member
    I have rented through SWA as well...a few times...with no issues at all, a decent prices.

One time, I rented it was $11 a day!
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,738 Senior Member
    I have to say that we rent with some frequency and, I hope I'm not jinxing myself but we rarely have issues. The biggest frustration we've had is when every shuttle but the one we need comes by and we're standing around for way too long for the shuttle. And, after waiting in some very long lines to get my car, we've joined the loyalty programs of just about all the major car rental agencies so we can just walk directly to the car. I'm hoping that poor customer service stories here really are the exception rather than becoming the rule. So sorry to those who have had bad experiences.
This discussion has been closed.