right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Teenage girls are facing impossible expectations

2»

Replies to: Teenage girls are facing impossible expectations

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33159 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,925 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    @RightCoaster depends on the age and the friend groups. That stuff hasn't appeared in my feed since high school. At the latest.

I'm not really friends with any "girly girls" though.

I've never been proud of my anxiety and depression. I am proud that I have been open about it since day 1. My mom lost her brother to drugs & alcohol- she thinks due to self-treating depression. She wasn't going to let it happen to me. The stigma was never really there for me because I had such a strong support system.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16613 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,679 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    Girls: pics of themselves, pics of themselves with friends, pics of hot celebrities, pics of bathing suits, pics of cute pupipies, pics of hot guys, fashion pics, pics of themselves on the beach, of themselves at parties, pics of clothes they want to buy, etc. etc.

There's alot of truth with this.....my sibling has daughters and I have sons so we talk about this alot. Although I think there is some pressure by young men to be buff, to not have zits, to dress a certain way...to be in pictures doing interesting things just as for the girls buy in general boys spend less time on the selfies.

I think now that the emo trend has whined you see less of the waif oh so sad stuff.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76122 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,785 Senior Member
    kelsmom wrote:
    However, I suspect it has something to do with livign in a 24/7, hyperconnected world with non-stop information and non-stop expectations.

Especially if they believe that they must achieve to far greater heights than their parents did just to stay in the same SES class that they grew up in.
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1002 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    @RightCoaster

"For the most part, none of those things are helping the kids on any level."

Remember that the adolescent mind is still being wired. The wiring job completes somewhere between the 25th and 30th year. In the meantime, math and physics reasoning skills peak while most everything else malfunctions in the interest of the basic need to propagate. This is why attentive parents are needed!

It does lead to valid concerns about the intense amplification of adolescent interaction on the internet while working parents are otherwise occupied. It also leads to concerns regarding the use of marijuana during this stage of brain development.

It is a very tough job! Enjoy it while it last!

Signed by a somewhat paranoid great grandfather! :bz
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22846 replies184 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,030 Senior Member
    I think that many teen-aged girls would benefit from a healthy dose of second-wave feminism.
    · Reply · Share
  • shawbridgeshawbridge 5646 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,699 Senior Member
    We observed this more than 5 years ago. We saw a number of HS girls -- either my son's classmates or daughters of friends -- who seemed to feel the need to be perfect at everything. He called one group the OCDs. They worried about grades. They would come in a 6 AM to meet with the teachers before school to make sure their homework was correct before they handed it in. They worried about looks -- every outfit and hair was in place. They worried about doing the right ECs the right way. Several of these girls (now young women) subsequently have had breakdowns of various kinds.

They boys just seem to try to be good a a few things but don't feel compelled to be perfect at everything.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity