right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Any experience with dance lessons through an Arthur Murray Studio?

HoggirlHoggirl 1590 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,783 Senior Member
Dh and I have talked for some time about taking some ballroom dancing lessons together. I have found an Arthur Murray studio in our area, but the info on the site is rather cryptic. Free lesson, instructor will recommend a program after that, etc. I can see a calendar that appears to be for group lessons which are in 45-minute books. I can see nothing about costs. It appears that private lessons are an option as well.

I grew up going to cotillion and taking dance instruction (ballet, tap, jazz). Dh, um, really can’t dance at all. He struggles with rhythm (finding and keeping a beat), and is pretty stick-man-ish (for lack of a better description) when he does try to dance. So, there is a pretty wide gap in our skill levels. He is absolutely willing to give it a shot.

Has anyone done couples dance instruction in a setting/studio like this? What would you recommend between group and private lessons since we have different levels of experience. Any idea how expensive ANY of the lessons are?

8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Any experience with dance lessons through an Arthur Murray Studio?

• Bromfield2Bromfield2 3521 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,555 Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    My husband and daughter took private dance lessons before D’s wedding. They went to an Arthur Murry studio. Both thought the instructor was great. Their father/daughter dance at the wedding was a huge success.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73322 replies3190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,512 Senior Member
    We are taking ballroom dance lessons. We go to a private studio, not Arthur Murray. We are doing private lessons once a week and also going to the dance parties once a week. We chose this more expensive route as DH wanted to do it that way to get his comfort level up.

Like the OP, I had some dance experience...DH didn’t. Also remember, the guy is the lead in ballroom so really they need to be confident in what they are doing as the lead. I think in your case, I might do private as well...sometimes studios have introductory rates for newbies!

We will probably transition to private lesson every two weeks, and group lessons too. But we’ve been doing this for four months.

It’s a lot of fun!
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38426 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,891 Senior Member
    Just don't sign any contracts without reading the fine print carefully. :)

https://digitalcommons.law.villanova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1339&context=mslj
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,935 Senior Member
    Have you checked any continuing education classes in your area? I just took a beginning class that was a lot of fun. We mostly did swing, but some two step and salsa as well. It was $75 for 8 weeks of 1 hour classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 33965 replies387 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 34,352 Senior Member
    They offered ballroom dancing at our County Parks & Recreation. It was nominal charge of free. I took it when I was single, in my 20s. There were folks of all ages and abilities. I wasn’t very good but it was very inexpensive and fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1590 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,783 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner - wow! Too early and too little coffee to read through a 40-page law review article, but I appreciate the heads-up! It definitely sounds like there are likely less expensive options available per @intparent and @HImom. I do feel like some private instruction would be preferable to begin with - at least for dh. @thumper1 - how’d you go about finding a private studio?
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,935 Senior Member
    Well, the class I took was called, “So You Think You Can’t Dance.” :) It had something like 8 -10 people in it. And the instructor would bring a couple extra people as leads, so it really had 2-3 instructors instructors. So we got quite a bit of individual attention. Of course not every class will be like that.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73322 replies3190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,512 Senior Member
    When i say “private” I meant it’s not owned by a chain like Arthur Murray. It’s owned by a private instructor. Ask around. It’s likely that there are other ballroom dance places beside Arthur Murray.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity