Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dallas cop mistakenly thinks she is home and kills a man

partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,498 Senior Member

Replies to: Dallas cop mistakenly thinks she is home and kills a man

• aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,233 Senior Member
    WTH!
    How messed up do you have to be to gain access to the wrong home and then shoot to kill?
    He just so happens to be AA. Hmm?
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,498 Senior Member
    @aunt bea I didn’t even look at the race, I just wonder if she was tested for drugs or alcohol? Probably not! She should definitely be charged with negligent homicide. His family will never see him but the city should be ready to cut a big fat check.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,233 Senior Member
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    I imagine they might be neighbors if it is an apartment complex? There is no excuse for this either way, but depending on the time of day, it might have contributed to her confusion. This is a sad tragedy.

The good news is: "Dallas police have handed the investigation over to the Texas Rangers and removed themselves as the lead investigative agency."

I personally don't trust agencies that are investigating themselves or one of their own employees, they rarely even get indicted and it is hard to be unbiased. I think handing it over to other authorities is a better chance of an unbiased and a more thorough investigation.
    I’m going to follow this story, something just doesn’t add up. I wonder if there was a relationship. I don’t have any stats but I rarely hear stories of female officers being trigger happy.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    edited September 7
    D and I walked to 'our' car in a parking lot. Clicked the FOB, heard the audible tone, got in. It took several seconds before we realized it was not our car! Same vehicle, same color, parked a few feet from our vehicle. They happened to have left their car unlocked.

Fast forward. I'm sitting in my car, in a parking lot, eating the lunch just purchased at Whole Foods. My back door opens and a man tries to get in. I'm startled and shocked. The group he is with is laughing and yelling - hey dude WRONG CAR.

Lots of blue early body style Highlanders out there...

Stuff happens.
    A car is not the same as an apartment.
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 667 Member
    I wonder if his door was unlocked? (How else could she just walk in?)

There's another good reason to lock your door, car as well as home: the inattentive intruder.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,934 Senior Member
    Was the race of the officer mentioned?
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,104 Senior Member
    @TomSrOfBoston She is Caucasian.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,520 Senior Member
    News newness report says blood sample was taken...

And she is being charged with manslaughter.

Just awful.
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 1,253 Senior Member
    @dietz199 I did the same thing earlier this year. Got into a car waiting for me outside of Target, only it was a stranger's car, boy were we both surprised! I wonder whether the officer just got off a double shift or night shift, and whether the apartments all look very similar. But that still doesn't explain how the situation escalated out of control like that, the guy whose car I hopped into certainly didn't shoot me, we just were like WTH, who are you? And were soon laughing about it. Didn't the officer notice that the furniture was different?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,520 Senior Member
    Going in the wrong apartment isn’t the issue...it’s shooting the person there before looking around and seeing...and thinking...that is the issue.
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians Registered User Posts: 1,320 Senior Member
    We had the car thing happen with a girl who was friends with our son. That was funny.

There was a case in my city a while back where an extremely drunk guy went into the wrong house in the wee hours after breaking a window. He was shot and killed by the homeowner.

A cop just getting off work would presumably not be drunk and should recgnize she’s not in her apartment.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 35,914 Senior Member
    So awful. One needs to be absolutely drunk or on something to not recognize the appartment is not theirs!!!

Back in my college days, a guy mistakenly walked into my dorm room after getting into a wrong dorm (his dorm was a mirror image of our dorm)... but the guy was drunk to the point he could barely walk. He questioned me what I was doing in his room... This was the first time and the last time I punched a person in the face.