right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

House (apartment)-warming gift for ds???

HoggirlHoggirl 1716 replies197 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited September 2018 in Parent Cafe
Ds has moved into his first apartment with a friend/co-worker. He FaceTimed me tonight and gave me a tour - so fun! I’d like to send a fun house-warming gift, but I am not sure what to send. I was thinking maybe something for the kitchen? Although, they both will travel a LOT during the work week, so I’m not sure how much cooking they will do. They bought a panini press and a toaster. Ds does not drink coffee. I wouldn’t mind a box of small kitchen items, but I don’t want to duplicate anything they already have. They are seriously lacking in decorative items, and they have practically nothing on their walls, but that seems overreaching to me. They are still acquiring furniture, but I don’t want to spend a ton, and they have most of the larger pieces they need. I thought about a bar cart? I saw one on Amazon that was only $100, but I don’t know if they have space for it. The apartment is very guy-ish with lots of black/white/gray with red as their accent color.

Any fun ideas??

ETA - they also bought a spice rack
edited September 2018
76 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: House (apartment)-warming gift for ds???

• chercheurchercheur 1296 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    If they bought a spice rack, maybe they plan on doing a little cooking! When my son got his first apartment, I gave him this cookbook https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Everything-Completely-Revised-Anniversary-ebook/dp/B00BS03W5Q/ref=zg_bs_6_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S6N31AHQ86506CBZXBT4 and he's actually used it! It covers a lot of basics. Maybe you could add some kitchen items with it. Young people never have good quality knives; they really only need a butcher, paring, and serrated knife IMO and a set of steak knives for when friends come over. I think I bought these for my son https://www.amazon.com/J-HENCKELS-INTERNATIONAL-Steak/dp/B013T88F6U/ref=zg_bs_409672_13?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=MNAZ2QGV83HX1G8XXPWF
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • gosmomgosmom 1921 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Penzey's Spices? A decent set of wine glasses or beer steins? Coasters? Decanter? Copper Mugs? Mini wine Fridge? Beer flight glasses? Cheese board and cheese knives?
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38924 replies468 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Everyone can use a few extra kitchen towels! :)

An Instapot?
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21139 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Blender
    Rice cooker
    teapot
    good quality cutting board like Boos
    cast iron frying pan
    dutch oven
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8911 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Funny, I brought William & Sonoma towels and pot holder as hostess gift last night. Such good quality.

First apartment, basic pots and pans. If I could redo, I’d have gone with a good quality non-stick fry pan and a 2 quart pot.
    Nice quality measuring spoons and cups.
    Silverware
    Corelli dishes
    Towels & pot holders
    Wine glasses
    Colander
    Cleaning supplies

Cuisanart mini food chopper, rice cooker, blender—depends on the person’s taste.

Over the years, my son has asked for and appreciated high grade pots, coffee maker, etc. he’s getting 3 months of Hello Fresh for his b/d, among other things
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55544 replies2895 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A plant
    Coffee grinder
    Composter (if he’s into that)
    good coffee pot
    Amazon giftcard
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 13146 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A bit pricey but my S and his roommates love their Roomba. They also love their Google Home.
    · Reply · Share
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL 1618 replies32 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    Good knives and knife block.

Fire extinguisher.
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1716 replies197 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks for all the ideas.

No, he is not local at all - we are on opposite coasts. They did buy knives (though I am not sure how good they are). I forgot that the knife block was another item on the kitchen counter. I love the Hello Fresh idea, but since their M.O. is to travel M-Th of each week (sometimes S-Th, I don’t think that is very workable.

I do prefer the idea of a tangible gift. His graduation gift was $$ for new tires and new luggage.

I have and love my Instant Pot. I just don’t have a sense of how much cooking they will actually do. I definitely think towels of any kind are a safe idea.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19349 replies860 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You know your son best. But I have to say, I can't imagine my son (or even me!) getting too excited or grateful for towels!

· Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8029 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    If not a vegetarian, consider Omaha Steaks or Kansas City Steaks gift. (Although it is tough to beat a Target gift card.)
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7787 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like your bar cart idea. My son and wife got one as a wedding gift They really like it.. It's not large (they put it in their very little dining room but very useful.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19349 replies860 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    I have to say I also thing the bar cart could be something for them to get really excited about. Would you be willing to ask if they might have room for one and/or send your son three Amazon options to get his opinion and then surprise him and send one?

A bar cart could be multi-use. For a bar or for a beverage cart, small appliance cart, etc.
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12812 replies167 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Does the apartment have a balcony? A Weber grill might be nice.
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22875 replies184 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wayfair is a good source for inexpensive furniture such as side tables and bar carts.

You could send him a link to a bar cart you think he might like, and tell him to pick out another in the same price range if he would prefer that. That's what I did with my S and his GF, who were in dire need of some kind of coffee/side table(s),
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22990 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Does the apartment have a balcony? A Weber grill might be nice

Often illegal to have a grill on any kind of apt balcony. Newer apts often provide them in a pool area, but you can't even have little hibachis on the patio/balcony.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity