right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Empty nest people - do you clean your house all at once or do you stagger it out over the week?

HoggirlHoggirl 1586 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,779 Senior Member
I have posted on here before about cleaning. I really dislike cleaning but do like having a clean house! I have to say that I have pretty much been spoiled the majorly of my life with a housekeeer. Now that we have downsized so significantly, dh said we could do it ourselves. We can, and he usually helps, but he is out of town dealing with some issues for his father’s estate. So I am currently tasked with doing this on my own (yes, I’m a whiny baby).

We have typically cleaned everything all at one time, but with dh being gone, I haven’t wanted to do that, so I have been more staggered with what I am doing. Kitchen and dusting one day, bathrooms another day, floors another day. Since I am solo right now, this seems less burdensome to me. I’m wondering if this would be the better way to go even after dh returns rather than cleaning all at one time? Maybe just doing the entire clean before we have company? I am such a baby. I just dislike cleaning so much! I love decluttering/tidying so our condo stays picked up and neat. It’s small, too - only 935 sq ft, so it isn’t like cleaning the whole thing all at once takes all that long. I just hate to clean! We aren’t that “dirty,” - no longer have pets, etc. I feel like it would stay clean “enough” doing it this way, but I am used to having a clean house all at one time. I guess I could try it and see.

Sorry - I’m not sure there is any point to this other than rambling. Just wondering how others tackle empty-nest cleaning.
90 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Empty nest people - do you clean your house all at once or do you stagger it out over the week?

• mom60mom60 7749 replies501 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    I am spoiled as I have had a weekly house cleaner for the past 30 years. I love the feeling of coming into a house that is totally clean and tidied up. I grew up with a Mom who had the rule we had to do our housework on Saturday mornings before we could go anywhere. I think I would feel with the spread out method that the House was never totally clean.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,935 Senior Member
    Mixed. I do a few they things during the week. But mostly in a burst on the weekend or if something needs immediate attention. I still follow a pseudo Flylady pattern — focus on a room/area a week. Deep cleaning when guests are coming. :D
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16725 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,881 Senior Member
    There are a lot of things I would give up before I'd give up our every other week housecleaning team. I don't mind picking up daily and keeping the kitchen spic and span, but the heavy cleaning is not something I'm keen about doing.

If I were doing it myself, I'd probably do the heavy stuff on one day, light housekeeping stuff daily.

· Reply · Share
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 3521 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,555 Senior Member
    We have a house cleaner who comes once a week. However, I still clean up on a daily basis and always leave a clean kitchen at night. I tend to be on the compulsive cleaning end of the spectrum, so I would probably do a big clean once a week, if I didn't have help.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1586 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,779 Senior Member
    @Nrdsb4 - what do you consider heavy stuff? To me that is the floors and the bathrooms. I do miss having a housekeeper. We can afford it - dh just thinks it’s silly since our place is so small, and it isn’t that time-consuming to do it ourselves. I will say that one downside of having someone would be the need to vacate when they came. Dh is retired now, so I think that would bug him.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38417 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,882 Senior Member
    I clean cat boxes daily, let my roomba out a few times a week, make sure the dishes are loaded into the dishwasher as soon as we are done eating, wipe countertops and put stuff away, and squeegee the shower daily. Other than this, a more thorough once a week clean with bed linens changing, dusting, vacuuming, and Bona-ing is enough. Call me a slob. :)

Right now, we are in the middle of kitchen Armageddon: the cabinets have no doors, and the kitchen is tented with plastic to contain dust from box sanding. I still found a minute to dust and shine the cooktop and the fridge. Need to wipe leftover dust off the ovens and shelves, and then I will feel better. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • sherpasherpa 4727 replies93 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,820 Senior Member
    Thanks to DW's genetic makeup our house is always tidy and well organized, without any clutter, dirty dishes on counter tops, or piles of dirty (or clean) laundry. I'm actually making progress convincing her that we don't need to make our bed every day.

We sweep our hardwood floors as needed, at least every other day. Living the way we do, we don't have to "clean" very often, because things are always clean.
    · Reply · Share
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16725 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,881 Senior Member
    what do you consider heavy stuff? To me that is the floors and the bathrooms.

I would agree with that. Also, I would include dusting the ceiling fans and wood shutters and blinds.

We have an obscene amount of bathrooms, so the cleaning crew is a Godsend for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38417 replies465 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,882 Senior Member
    Well, @Nrdsb4 - I shower daily, and while I am still inside drying myself, I squeegee the walls and the floor, then wipe the chrome hardware with a tip of my towel. It literally adds a minute to my morning routine. :) Our water is super soft, so I don't have to use harsh chemicals daily.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22787 replies289 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,076 Senior Member
    I squeegee my shower.
    I used to have someone come in every other week when D2 lived with me. Now I am by myself I like to do it myself because I usually clean up after myself. When I clean, it is pretty deep cleaning. I like to do it a bit each day. I just cleaned the kitchen (top of fridge and walls), I am tired. Tomorrow I am going to do the floor.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1586 replies193 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,779 Senior Member
    @collegemom3717 - dh does help! A lot! We usually divide and conquer. He does his bathroom, and I do mine. I dust and clean the kitchen. He does all he laundry. He vacuums - I swiffer. I’m just whiny because he is out of town. Even when he is here, I still hate doing it. Your rotating schedule is an interesting one. But he’s not going to go for a housekeeper. He doesn’t want to have to schedule our lives around that.

@BunsenBurner - if you are a slob then so am I! I only do the things you listed! I do dust the baseboards fairly frequently. What else is there to do??

@sherpa - I think this is us. As I wrote before, I am all about tidy and organized - I just don’t like to clean. But things don’t get particularly dirty. I put the kitchen “to bed” every evening.

@Nrdsb4 - I dust the ceiling fans weekly. Shutters every other week. Dusting doesn’t bother me, but I don’t have a lot of dust collectors (aka Knick knacks) either.

Our water is SUPER hard - any tips for cleaning shower glass effectively???? I squeegee every day (dh does as well), but our doors are those slidey ones, and there are always spots where they overlap.
    · Reply · Share
    I never squeegee. But my shower is 3 sides stone, only one side glass.

Maybe I'm actually the slob.
    · Reply · Share
  • chercheurchercheur 1293 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,302 Senior Member
    Hoggirl wrote:
    Our water is SUPER hard - any tips for cleaning shower glass effectively???? I squeegee every day (dh does as well), but our doors are those slidey ones, and there are always spots where they overlap.

I've seen suggestions to use RainX and other water-repelling products, but I think my mother came up with a simple solution; she put an adjustable shower rod and shower liner on the inside, covering the shower doors. It was easy to remove, and she never had to clean her glass doors. Her shower doors looked like new when she sold her home.
    · Reply · Share
  • FallGirlFallGirl 7990 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,017 Senior Member
    I also spend 50 hours a week with work/commute, so I still retain the cleaning service every other week. They only regularly clean the rooms we actually use so it's not that much. A friend of mine who works part time has a cleaner in once a month.
    · Reply · Share
    "I put the kitchen “to bed” every evening."

Love that! This is what I will call my evening routine.
    · Reply · Share
  • SilpatSilpat 1282 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,302 Senior Member
    I'll be following this discussion for tips. Dh recently retired and the house hasn't been really clean since. We both hate to clean. What he hates even more than cleaning is seeing me clean while he's playing on his computer or reading a book. Then he feels guilty and gets grumpy. He also doesn't like having strangers in the house, so I haven't hired a service since he retired. We've cleaned the rooms that others see when we've expected guests but also rely on dim lighting in the evening and the hope that no one looks in any closets or drawers. Something will have to change very soon.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity