Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Have you ever "not been believed"?

Replies to: Have you ever "not been believed"?

• Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,401 Senior Member
    One of my kids was accused of lying about her dad having cancer. Oy vey.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,086 Senior Member
    I meant "hitting" not "heating." :)
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    Oh, @KKmama , I'm so sorry about what you have endured.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,352 Senior Member
    edited September 20
    Our D was accused of plagiarizing in middle school because she used words the teacher didn’t think are common for middle-schoolers. D was highly offended and the teacher realized the “big words” are normal in D’s vocabulary.

I feel so sorry for those who weren’t believed by family when complaining of assault/abuse. That would be devastating!
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 2,009 Senior Member
    i'm ashamed to say that i'm the person who didn't believe. One of my closest college friends was aggressively approached by one of her professors...he grabbed her and tried to kiss her (this was completely out of the blue) while she was in his office...she was shocked...he backed away and then burst into tears! When she told me about it later (we were both 20), I thought she must have done something...we (everyone) LOVED this professor and couldn't imagine.

As the decades passed, i'm of a couple of feelings around this....many years ago, I apologized to this friend and we're still very close...but i've also felt a conflict about the moment.....had she turned him in (and I"ve talked with my friend about this), we both know that he would have been fired (or taken off track) right away had this gotten out...he had a sad story...his wife had recently died...well, anyway, you guys don't need to hear about all of this..i guess i"ll just say that life is complicated.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,935 Senior Member
    @KKmama: I must have been typing my post while yours appeared; I didn't see it. If I had, I would have responded to yours before posting my [relatively insignificant] issue.

I know you've had a lot of challenges with your husband. {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}
  • TempeMomTempeMom Registered User Posts: 2,920 Senior Member
    On a lighter note, my parents STILL don't believe me about a party in high school. I'd been at a house party at my BF's house and had a say 10 pm curfew. I called them and they agreed to come get me. I gave them the address. My BF and I sat there on his curb for like an hour waiting. Back before cells, of course. Then I called back and they yelled at me saying I had purposefully given them the wrong info so I could stay later. No ma'am I did not! And it still pisses me off to this day. There have been others but I have tried to forget them.

Ok one more and this is a bit more sexist but also thankfully innocent. I drove to a party in HS where there was drinking. And when I went to come home, the key would NOT go in the ignition. I was buzzed and freaked out. Eventually I called my dad because I was past curfew. And he was all condescending and stuff and "Let a boy try..." REALLY?!? When he finally came to get me (it was a ways, again at night) the ignition had literally fallen apart. Booyah.

• gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 6,984 Senior Member
    ".i guess i"ll just say that life is complicated."

This.
    Just glad we survived on so many levels.
  • whitepicketfencewhitepicketfence Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    👆This....

I have many stories of harassment. Grown men and young men feeling they had a right to talk to me in an inappropriate way. I have heard friends' stories of assault. Serious, life changing assault. One of my kids (male) is in therapy because of of sexual violence. I hate getting up and turning on the TV and hearing more men talk about how this is a smear campaign.