Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Flu Shot Assistance

Replies to: Flu Shot Assistance

• NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,018 Senior Member
    I would recommend you get the flu shot soon (before you are around your immunocompromised mother) so you can avoid feeling guilty if she should otherwise come down with the flu.

I got my one and only flu shot 6 years ago and promptly came down with a 6 week virus (not the flu). My doc assures me it was pure coincidence, but understands my reluctance to get a flu shot.
  • SilpatSilpat Registered User Posts: 1,228 Senior Member
    @Creekland , thank you for starting this discussion. I was on the fence about when to get my flu shot and will be calling CVS this afternoon to make sure they have the quadrivalent vaccine again this year. If so, I'll go tomorrow.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 1,959 Senior Member
    DH and I got the quadrivalent vaccine last week. The prevailing thought as I was told about waiting for October is in case the virus mutated and the vaccine that was prepared for that years flu strain would not be effective. There have been outbreaks of flu in Europe and the Middle East already.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
    If you are 65 or older, get the Fluzone high-dose vaccine.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm
    cdc wrote:
    Why is a higher dose vaccine available for adults 65 and older?
    Human immune defenses become weaker with age, which places older people at greater risk of severe illness from influenza. Also, ageing decreases the body’s ability to have a good immune response after getting influenza vaccine. A higher dose of antigen in the vaccine is supposed to give older people a better immune response, and therefore, better protection against flu.

• Snowball CitySnowball City Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    My husband and I got ours last week. I am doing a lot of traveling this fall and want to be fully protected for being in airplanes and international airports.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,972 Senior Member
    Fluzone high dose has four times the antigens (seems like getting four regular flu vaccine shots). But it is only a trivalent vaccine, so it contains no vaccine against the second B strain.
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 677 Member
    My daughter and I both got our flu vaccines at CVS today -- and I also got the Shingrex vaccine (in my other arm).
    Some years I have waited until early- to mid-October for my flu shot, but there is no need to wait.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,960 Senior Member
    I tried to get the flu shot at Target...but I have a Medicare Advantage PPO Plan...and Target wouldn’t take that one. Honestly...annoyed me.

I think I will be getting it at no charge where I’m working right now. If that doesn’t work out, 8 have n appointment with my PCP for the flu and shingles shots...in October.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 32,304 Senior Member
    edited September 20
    I have always gotten our flu shots for all 4 of us as soon as they are available--at the MD's office if that's when we find out they've arrived, at Longs/CVS if that's where we find it. All of us have NEVER gotten the flu late in the season or had the vaccine "wear out," despite getting it as soon as it's available in July-September. I have had the flu a few times and it's very nasty. With my bad lungs, it could be life-threatening for me to have a bad case of the flu and leave my lungs worse than they already are!

We have never had to pay for the flu shot for me on private insurance or H or my folks who are on Medicare A+B+private insurance .
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,867 Senior Member
    I have an appt at my doctor’s office flu shot clinic on the 18th. I usually get it done at my yearly in Sept., but I had to cancel that appt and next available for yearly check up wasn’t until January. So, I made a clinic appt. I prefer having everything done at my doctor’s office instead of CVS etc., so my doctor’s office has all my info.
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom Registered User Posts: 2,390 Senior Member
    I always get it in September and just got it the other day as a matter of fact.

Minute Clinic makes appointments. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 2,479 Senior Member
    FWIW, the flu clinic for shots already opened at my daughter's college.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,307 Senior Member
    This seemed a little bit early for our work flu shots, but so be it.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,451 Senior Member
    Y'all had me wondering if I was truly remembering having read studies about the best time of day so I googled it. Phew! Memory intact!

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/resource-centers/flu/when-is-the-best-time-of-day-to-receive-a-flu-shot

Small limited study - at least from this article - but I'm going with it... and from two years ago when I remember discussing it around our science teacher's lunch table. I didn't google further, but I still recall some speculation on why morning was better and it likely being due to activity.

The rest of the discussion has been helpful with longevity and the potential for carrier status, etc, so thanks.

Pending work H and I will get ours either tomorrow or Monday, followed by a nice walk near the local independent Pharmacy where Phil has done our shots for a few years now. We pay for our own due to being with Health Share rather than insurance, so going independent suits our personal life. FWIW, I'd rather pay the peanuts for the shots than the higher monthly cost, co pays, and deductibles from health needs insurance requires (at least when one is self employed as H is), so I don't mind at all.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 2,998 Senior Member
    First confirmed cases have just been reported in my area, so I got mine this morning. Wasn't particularly painful this time around.