Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Flu Shot Assistance

CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
I haven't kept up on this, so would love to glean from those who do.

For the past four years H and I have gotten the flu shot. Neither of us have ever gotten the flu (with or without the shot), but back when we started we were around a lot of immunocompromised folks and were told (by a doctor) that one can be a carrier without symptoms, so it was safer for them if we got the shot. Enough said. We got the shots and have since.

Is that belief still valid?

A couple years ago I recall some discussion on whether the shot was effective for more than 3 or 6 months (forgot which), so it was better to wait until the season began and have it last longer.

How did that discussion turn out?

Also a couple of years ago I recall reading studies that said the shot is more effective if one gets it in the morning and takes a nice walk afterward, or in general, stays active for the day.

Is that still valid?

My issue to address is getting the shot this year... We usually get the shots in Oct, but I'm home now and around my mom for two out of three weeks in the near future. Her chemo/cancer makes her immunocompromised.

Should I plan to get the shot tomorrow or Monday instead of waiting until Oct when I'm back?

Would planning on two shots this season (one 3 or 6 months down the road) be suggested?

Is morning still the best time (asked because if I'm in school - which I am some of these days - afternoon is actually easier)?

Or has a bunch of this been debunked and the fact that we've never gotten the flu - for me even when I come in super close contact with it at school multiple times - mean we're among the lucky who have an innate ability to fight the virus off and there's really no need - save the doses for others who do need it?

Replies to: Flu Shot Assistance

• pearl0607pearl0607 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    JUST GET THE FLU VACCINE PLEASE. BETWEEN HALLOWEEN AND THANKSGIVING MIGHT BE BEST TIME PERIOD TO GET IT
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,554 Senior Member
    I used to wait until the first week in October, but my docs just rolled his eyes. So I got one this week.

btw: the older we get, the harder it is to fight such illnesses. Get the flu shot.
    there is no time like now ! agreed
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,554 Senior Member
    BETWEEN HALLOWEEN AND THANKSGIVING MIGHT BE BEST TIME PERIOD TO GET IT

Uhh, per the CDC, by end of October.
    You should get a flu vaccine before flu begins spreading in your community. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies that protect against flu to develop in the body, so make plans to get vaccinated early in fall, before flu season begins. CDC recommends that people get a flu vaccine by the end of October. Getting vaccinated later, however, can still be beneficial and vaccination should continue to be offered throughout flu season, even into January or later.
  • chercheurchercheur Registered User Posts: 1,141 Senior Member
    These are great questions! I live in a warmer climate and usually hold off until November, but I probably should do it earlier since it takes a couple of weeks to be fully effective.

I've only had a bad case of the flu one time, and that was in college. It hit me during finals week (naturally!) and the nurse at the health center told me I was just nervous for finals! Wrong! I had the flu, and it was bad. I could barely stand, but I took my finals and vowed I would always get a flu shot from that time forward!

Here's a link to the CDC's FAQ about the upcoming flu season https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2018-2019.htm
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,219 Senior Member
    This winter's flu vaccine has different strains for the A-H3N2 and one of the B strains, compared to last winter's flue vaccine. The A-H1N1 and second B strain (the one found in the quadrivalent vaccine) are the same as last winter's.

Because the trivalent vaccine is more common, you may have to specifically ask for the quadrivalent vaccine if you want the second B strain in addition to the A-H1N1, A-H3N2, and first B strain.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    @pearl0607 How is your yelling at me and not even addressing my actual questions the least bit helpful?

The only question of whether or not to get the flu shot was at the end and based upon reasoning you didn't even address. The rest is timing and what you yelled doesn't even answer my questions about that. (timing in the year and time of day)

Quite honestly, your post is a huge turn off and would make me NOT get the shot if I weren't already convinced it were a good one to get. I'm looking for honest answers to my questions about timing - not a mindless condemnation.
    it was upper caps in error. wasnt yelling.
    @creekland and I do like your image logo " not all who wander are lost" sound like a traveler....
  • sabaraysabaray Registered User Posts: 6,955 Senior Member
    I've already gotten my flu vaccine. I was picking up a prescription and the pharmacist asked if I wanted to get one there while I was there. Yes, I sure did. I will mention that I did not feel great after receiving the vaccine, so it might be worth it to get it now when you're not caring for your mother and can care for yourself.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 13,000 Senior Member
    I've already gotten it, too. I was in CVS anyway and there was no line at the Minute Clinic.

I'm not convinced that there's an optimum time to get the vaccine. Flu season seems to start at different times in different years. Getting the shot is more important than the exact timing.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,433 Senior Member
    We had ours at work on Tuesday. My husband's doctor told him to wait until October. So, go figure. I've never heard the thing about the morning or the walk. I do get mine in my dominant arm and have been told to use the arm and rub the spot to minimize soreness. This year's shot hurt more but wasn't killer. It is not a live virus, so you shouldn't feel sick at all from it, but it is a foreign substance in your body and I felt just a tiny bit "off" that night and the next morning. No fever or anything, just maybe not quite 100%. My husband gets the shot designed for seniors, but the medical folks that come to our office just bring the one "regular" shot. I encouraged my staff to get their butts downstairs for the shot, but I'm not sure many of them did. It's free for us and I hate needles, but it is important to get the shot, in my opinion.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,743 Senior Member
    I was told by my docs to wait until early October. I am immune compromised though so YMMV. (And as someone who is - THANK YOU for getting the shot!)

Yes, you can still carry the flu and not show any symptoms. Or, you can get very mild symptoms and think it's just a cold.
  • KKmamaKKmama Registered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    We’ve already seen a case of flu at the hospital where I volunteer.