Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Today I became old or how far would you drive?

Replies to: Today I became old or how far would you drive?

• wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,229 Senior Member
    edited September 21
    Both of us now 65 plus. Still do road trips but will no longer drive those extra miles and pull into the motel late evenings. We (well, I) are not great morning risers to get going and tend to leave after rush hour for trips. Several years ago we did pull into our garage after 10 or later because we were motel weary but in general we pace ourselves a lot more now. There has to be justification for having our own car (and the extra stuff we throw in it) for choosing driving over flying. Typically after flights we will declare we'd rather drive and after driving we should just fly and rent a car. Recent trips were justified by stopping at several points along the way or having our car there.

None of this has been solo. The driver does get tired, especially with bad weather or traffic. We both get road weary.

I still drive faster but H is now going so much slower. Wonder how much I will change in the next three years? For a long time now when son visits he tells us we should have zipped into that traffic. We are less likely to than in the past.

We'll see what happens but for a week or two trip ack to WI from FL I am really considering not doing a three day drive with a pit stop at his sister's along the way. Have seen the same scenery too many times by now.
  • droppeditdroppedit Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    We have both a convertible and a Tesla. Can enjoy them in shorter than 6 hr drives!
    @jym626 -- dang ... where's the I'm not worthy emoticon???
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,353 Senior Member
    edited September 21
    ^:)^ There it is , @droppedit !
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,353 Senior Member
    @droppedit - sent you a pm
  • GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 2,921 Senior Member
    Add me to those who love to travel alone. But I hate to drive. I would take a plane to an airport close to your mom and rent a car. You can build up points with the condo
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 2,978 Senior Member
    I didn't even like long drives when I was 30 @VaBluebird. Fortunately, mom (1921-2018) only lived 20 miles away, so a weekly visit to her in assisted living was not a big deal. Is she [or the place] capable of Skype or FaceTime?
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,189 Senior Member
    Do you have alternative ways to get to your destination like airplane, bus, or train?>>>>>>>>>

OP here, yes, I could fly and rent a car.
  • runnersmomrunnersmom Registered User Posts: 2,045 Senior Member
    I drive 6.5 hours to see my mom at least 4 times a year, usually alone. I actually prefer it to dealing with the airports on both ends and I have my car while I'm there. I'm 62.
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 3,189 Senior Member
    @AboutTheSame , no alas no Skype capability there nor would she adapt to such a thing.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 12,867 Senior Member
    I’ll be 62 in a few months. I don’t mind long drives by myself at all. Being in the northeast though most trips I do are at most 6 hours. I prefer flying for anything longer than that just because it’s so much quicker.

The only thing I hate is driving at night on dark roads. We hit a deer once on one such road, not far from my house but the short cut way to the thru-way. I now always go to the next exit even though it takes longer.

I drive into NYC all the time (2 1/2 hr trip) but have friends who are deathly afraid of driving in Manhattan. Has nothing to do with age either.
  • juniebugjuniebug Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    It's nice to see I'm not alone in this. And have you noticed how fast the other drivers have gotten?!
  • EllieMomEllieMom Registered User Posts: 1,795 Senior Member
    I'm 63. I have no problem driving 9 hours (about 630 miles) from Chicago to Rochester with nothing more than a quick pit-stop or two along the way to get gas and go the bathroom. My family did convince me this year that it was probably not a good idea to try to drive there, drop stuff off for my daughter, and drive home on the same day, though. ;)
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 18,038 Senior Member
    59 this week....load me up with podcasts and a few playlists and I'm good to go on drive!

I drive regularly 3ish hours alone which isn't that far but would be comfortable with more - I'd also like you to guarantee no car problems - THAT I sometimes worry about! I don't love night driving but am fine local or on an expressway - a dark country road at night for a long period of time would not be my style.

I actually love when I get the opportunity to check in and stay at a hotel alone on business trips. Not saying I don't like when I travel with someone but I also sort of enjoy making the hotel my little temporary space however I like it! :)
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 2,963 Senior Member
    Just booked my flight to visit my mom. I'd rather take an hour long flight and rent a car than drive the 6-8 hours, depending on traffic. The extra expense is worth it to me.