Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sous Vid? Anyone cook this way?

2»

Replies to: Sous Vid? Anyone cook this way?

• dragonmomdragonmom Registered User Posts: 5,981 Senior Member
    If anyone reading is curious about steaks Sous vide, but doesn’t want to buy and store the equipment, you can do the same thing minus the equipment. https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/alton-brown/reverse-sear-ribeye-steak-5458694
    We have been cooking steaks this way for about a year. I never liked steak before. I do now.

• whitepicketfencewhitepicketfence Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    I have been cooking sous vide for a couple of years. I love cooking and this has really been a fun way to expand my skills. We did burgers last night (perfect!) and I have coffee going now for fast "faux cold brew'.

As others have said, there is a learning curve. Douglas Baldwin explains pasteurization and has handy charts that helped me. As mentioned upthread, Serious Eats and Jason Logsdon are both great sources of reliable information. I have a sous vide notebook and Pinterest page to help me organize my information.

I love the consistent results but lately appreciate my ability to cook ahead for busy days. On a day that I have time, I will cook different proteins, shocking in cold water after cooking and then into the fridge. Since they are pasteurized, they will keep in the fridge much longer than fresh or traditionally cooked foods. I can pull out a chicken breast or steak and gently re-therm in a water bath a couple of degrees below original cooking temp and after a quick sear, dinner is ready.

I confess to being a kitchen gadget "enthusiast" but I have gifted my sister and both my kids with sous vide devices and after some hesitation, all three are having fun experimenting. Enjoy!
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,527 Senior Member
    Any recommendations for a particilar brand of sous vid or are they all pretty much the same? H is a foodie and accomplished home cook and this is one kitchen appliance he doesn’t have. Might get him one for anupcoming bday!
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 954 Member
    My choice came down to the Anova or the Joule brands. Both have great tech specs. I chose the Anova because it can be controlled via wifi OR by buttons on the unit itself. The Joule can only be controlled via wifi using an app. To me this represented a single point of failure so I went with Anova. Works great.

I also use it to pasteurize eggs for safer use in sauces...
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 2,106 Senior Member
    I had never heard of Sous Vide until I came upon this thread. I had a couple of lobster tails that were on sale at Whole Foods, so I improvised without a machine (I used a large pot of water, jerry-rigged a thermometer, removed the the lobster meat from the shell and put it, with a bit of butter, in a ziplock bag from which I removed the air, and voilà -- perfection!!).

I have unsuccessfully tried broiling, boiling, and steaming, and doing everything imaginable to lobster tails and invariably end up with rubbery meat. Sous vide is definitely the way to go!! Looking forward to trying other meats, fish, etc.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,635 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    My biggest concern is cooking in plastic that is not suitable for cooking. Folks who avoid plastic like the devil when it comes to microwaving, do not mind using it in sous vide cooking. While the temperatures are lower than those typically achieved in a microwave, the cooking times are longer... same crud (such as plasticizers and lower MW polymer chains) can be extracted into your food.
    edited December 2018
    @BunsenBurner - Apparently, there are food-grade, FDA-approved, re-useable and re-sealable bags that are free of BPA, Phthalates, and fillers. They can withstand temperatures up to 300 degrees without leaching anything nasty.

I, too, was a bit concerned about the need for plastics, the effects on the environment, etc.
  • SouthJerseyChessMomSouthJerseyChessMom Registered User Posts: 3,851 Senior Member
    @BunsenBurner you addressed my concern. My d loves her sous vide and gave me one a year ago. It's been in my pantry unused because I'm concerned about the plastics and warm temperatures -
    @LoveTheBard where do I find those food grade plastics bags ???????
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,635 Senior Member
    I would look for (preferably reusable) silicone bags. Regular ziplock bags are a no-go for me.
    @SouthJerseyChessMom -- Amazon has a bunch. Just look up "reusable silicone food-grade bags" and you'll find a plethora. Like Ziplocs, they come in many different sizes (snack, sandwich, gallon, etc.).
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    Some leaching is inevitable even at low cooking temperature as water molecules bombard the plastic bag during cooking. At lower temperature, water molecules are slower so they're less energetic, but prolonged bombardment will cause some plastic molecules to come off the bag. If you only cook sous vide occasionally, I wouldn't worry about the plastic bag too much. However, if you do it frequently, that's a different story.
  • whitepicketfencewhitepicketfence Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    @Bromfield2 I have an Anova and a Joule. Love them both but have gifted the Anova as I feel it is easier for a new user because you can set it manually, without wifi. They all do basically the same thing but Anova and Joule both have outstanding customer service in my experience.

As far as cooking in plastic, I did read and read and read before I decided I was comfortable with it. I am in several online groups with members who obviously enjoy the study of it all-many scientists and some home cooks and chefs as well. I cook in mason jars, silicon bags and plastic. Every year, about this time, these same questions come up and I read new info. On my to do list is see if there is new data that changes my view.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,620 Senior Member
    I was SO excited to see the chickens started laying again. They had completely shut down production for the last 6 weeks. Store bought eggs are such a disappointment after you've had the fresh real thing from the coop.

Darn you sous vide for needed an hour to make the perfect poached egg. I know they say a watched pot doesn't boil.... but here I sit, waiting......