Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone else find Christmas stressful?

Replies to: Anyone else find Christmas stressful?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 5,324 Senior Member
    ^^Holiday cards???? Wow!! I bow down to you, @oldfort ! :))
  • QuantMechQuantMech Registered User Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    I am shipping two sets of packages to relatives today, and two after the New Year. We put the lights on the tree yesterday. This could be viewed as stressful, but once it became clear to me when these things could happen, I dropped the stress connected with them.

We once had exams running through December 23 due to scheduling by a none-too-bright Assistant Provost, who did not think about the possibility that students might be snowed in--fortunately, that did not happen, but flight cancellations have occurred at other times.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 1,064 Senior Member
    My mom died this year, my oldest son and his wife and her kids live in Colorado, my father-in-law and his wife went on a cruise and my youngest son is going off to grad school today. We stayed home, just the 4 of us - nice actually, not stressful. BUT, I really, really enjoy the "no gifts" travel to a Christmas vacation destination. The problem is getting the adult chillden to save enough funds and get vacation time. Last year we had a spectacular Banff Christmas - truly magical. I'm hoping next year to go warm and have a Caribbean Christmas - we'll see how everyone is doiing then.
  • toledotoledo Registered User Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    My 85 yr. old mother-in-law gets stressed out really easily. She has gone to the ER with chest pain the last two Christmas Eves.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 1,064 Senior Member
    @toledo - did you see the news about highest time for heart attacks is Christmas Eve? By a lot - like 30% more or something crazy!
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,717 Senior Member
    Love to @MaineLonghorn and @coralbrook --- I hope there is healing and health in 2019 for you and yours. Meanwhile, do what you need to, to get through each day.

We cancelled plans to visit the in laws (they got sick) and made a quick visit to my family (just overnight, and still it was teeth-gritting) and our kids are all here. I know I should be happy, Iknow I should be enjoying the few days we have together, but I had to shut myself in our powder room and cry today. It's just All Too Much.
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,488 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Interesting information- that planning ahead makes the Holidays more rewarding and less stressful.
    Most of my life I had my main shopping done in Sept. I baked early and froze. We had more traditions such as a special blueberry coffee cake only made for Christmas day. Dinner was always the same entree. The last few years all of that dropped away. S visits just before Christmas and last year neither kid was able to be here. We did take S and his family to San Diego leaving Christmas Eve last year and that was fun. Yesterday D and her family were here. I do not know if I want to go back in time but it was far more rewarding, stress and all, than our new laid back Holiday.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,891 Senior Member
    Spotted a leak in the ceiling of apartment on Xmas Eve. Not actual water coming into the apartment, but a bubble behind the paint from ceiling to floor and staining on the ceiling. Landlord has been notified,no response yet.

D1 has been a bit of a pill this week. It feels like she is taking on some characteristics of her spoiled, shallow sister in law that she spends a lot of time with. This is not a positive development.
  • mom2adancermom2adancer Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    Stressful here, and a little bit sad too. There are some family dynamics that are front and center at this time of year that highlight the loss and the divisions that are always present but easier to put to the back of our minds the rest of the year. DD was home for Christmas though, so that was the highlight for me. I miss her a lot.