Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone else find Christmas stressful?

123457»

Replies to: Anyone else find Christmas stressful?

• cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,673 Senior Member
    @momo2x2018 : That's awful. And actually, it sounds just like something MY sister would do. Maybe we're related! LOL I hope you have a pleasant trip home with no glitches. <Hugs to you!>
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    I said in an earlier thread that I just wanted to wake up and find that it is January already. Hey, that's tomorrow!

I'm so sorry for those of you suffering from grief at this time. We were just busy, since D3 graduated in mid-December, but it feels petty to complain about. I didn't get to do any baking and I miss having spritz cookies but that's OK. The main problem is everyone wants to come to my house next year. That means 12 or more people, probably renting some other place, and days of stress and chaos. I like having a small and simple family Christmas with time and space to do other things. When you get too many people, it's turns into a slow moving barge, and I need to escape!

I understand my mother much better now. She wanted to downsize and simplify and I remember being very sad about her not having a "real" tree anymore. Now I get it! I could totally do away with pine needles and just hang a few scent-sicles around the house instead. It seems I always run out of vacuum bags at Christmas and I need to order them online and let the dust, dander and pine needles accumulate in the meantime. Achoooo.
  • lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,557 Senior Member
    @momo2x2018, yikes! What a fiasco. At least that's all behind you. I know the feeling. None of our families want to come to us. Our two kids come from 2 hours away and don't want to hop in the car for an additional 3 hour drive to grandma's or aunt's house.

We took down the Christmas tree and I felt a weight off my shoulders. It always takes me longer to pack decorations away than to put them up!
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Registered User Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    momo2x2018, how defeating! I had something similar at a point, flying across the country for my mom's birthday. As I was bringing things into the house on arrival, they decided to start on the cake, sans the candles and singing I had anticipated and brought along.

greenwich, ha on slow moving barge!
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,408 Senior Member
    Love and support to all who are struggling during the holidays. I'd never heard about "Blue Christmas" services til this year. What a loving and compassionate way to find community (or solitude) at a difficult time.

For the first time in 35 years, we didn't travel to my family in GA. Was just not up dealing with some of my sibs ands am dealing with lots of medical stuff. Will make a trip in Jan.-Feb. so I can see them in doses I can manage (and have a day to drive in between each place so I can decompress!). Hanukkah was early this year, so no overlap. We don't do much in the way of gifts at all. We light our hannukiot, DH makes latkes, all is good. Going to my dad's is increasingly stressful and chaotic, and preparing food has become a nightmare. It's really hard for me to say no, so this was a big deal to step back.

S1 arrived on 12/25, left yesterday. I don't know that we are much of a draw for him these days. He did help with setting up some tech. S2 met up with my niece and her DH in Budapest and Bratislava and is now at their house in Bavaria til 1/3, when he heads to Israel for Birthright. Then it's back to the cold Eastern European winter. He sent us great pics and we chatted online the other night. He's happy and healthy, and staying in regular contact.

Our 35th anniversary was a week and a half ago and we spent two weekends doing things to celebrate. DH is furloughed, so he is enjoying time to compress from the usual insanity. I bought some quilting supplies and have been sewing. The new Amazon Firestick is being put to good use as I have binge-watched all of Mrs. Maisel, am caught up on Victoria and still got to watch my sports.