Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone else find Christmas stressful?

sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,758 Senior Member
I want to get into the spirit of Christmas, I really do. But most years it comes on like a freight train which doesn't appear until my teaching semester ends and then catches you unawares stuck on the train tracks. This year I didn't finish grading until the 17th (later than usual) so I was in denial about how fast Christmas was approaching until last Thursday.

It all comes at you so fast and furious with so much that just HAS to get done that I hardly have time to enjoy any of it. I don't even make cookies (although had to do SOME this year) and I barely decorate the house and don't shop for many people or do cards. Still, I end up stressed and exhausted by the time it's over. How did it come to be a test of endurance and will for so many of us?

Replies to: Anyone else find Christmas stressful?

• Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 2,780 Senior Member
    @sylvan8798

Yes, I find Xmas stressful, even though I have cut WAY back to a very simple version of Xmas. Part of the stress, for me, is I don't enjoy exchanging gifts. I also don't particularly enjoy hosting H's family. I get through it, but it's like a dentist appointment.

@coralbrook

Your pain must still be very raw. I am so sorry. One time, in the distant past, I spent Xmas on a beach in Mexico. I just needed to escape from it all and wanted to be in a completely different environment and away from the versions of Xmas I just wasn't up for. Best thing ever. I hope when you are ready, you and your daughter can forge ahead making the season enjoyable anyway you need to.
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    I reduce the stress by starting ridiculously early. If I didn’t, I would feel exactly like you.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,758 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    ^I'm thinking of trying that next year - making an attack plan and just working on it a little at a time, rather than getting overwhelmed by the whole thing in mid December.

@MaineLonghorn and @coralbrook, that kind of stress is just over-the-top :(. I hope things will settle down for you (and us) now. I have always found this to be a difficult time of year.
  • busdriver11busdriver11 Registered User Posts: 15,168 Senior Member
    coralbrook and MaineLonghorn, I am so sorry for what you are going through now. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone having any expectations for you right now. Coralbrook, you shouldn't feel that you should buy presents for anyone!
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    I'm always glad when Christmas is over, and we don't even make a big deal of it any more. My family likes me to prepare some of our traditional foods, and it's tiresome (even though I like the foods, too.)

The holidays are terribly hard for people who are grieving or dealing with significant family illness. We had 2 such Christmases in the past 8 years, and they were very tough. I'm sorry for what you are going through, coralbrook and MaineLonghorn.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,647 Senior Member
    Coealbrook - thousands of cyberhugs. Can't imagine the holidays within my Mr.

ML - hugs, and hope that your son will be out of the hospital soon.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 38,647 Senior Member
    *without. Autocorrect.

This year, our decorating was quite minimalistic. The food was simple and tasty. Mr. and I did not get gifts for each other. We liked it this way.
  • GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 3,061 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn that would be so stressful for all your family. I hope your son is on the way to recovery. @coralbrook so sorry for your loss. Yes, I find Christmas stressful. I typically get a tree, and minimal gifts. When I told someone I don't do anything for Christmas, she said "you have to! It's Jesus' birthday!" I pointed out to her that I think Jesus would rather I celebrate Christmas through gifts of kindness. A wise man said he tells his kids why they get minimal giftes, "It's Jesus' birthday, not yours."