Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Gender reveal

1235»

Replies to: Gender reveal

• hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,655 Senior Member
    Why is everyone making this so hard? The gender reveal party is really a “sex reveal party”, but of course that is an unacceptable name. So gender reveal party it will remain.

Participate or not as you choose, but realize this is a time of joy for the parents. Support them unless it offends you, in which case you should just stay silent.
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 4,065 Senior Member
    Sure, the child may grow up and decide to switch their gender

No, they don't grow up and decide.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,762 Senior Member
    @garland I asked @romanigypsyeyes to clarify since you said I was misreading what she wrote.
    To me using terms like "despies" and "creeps me out" romanigypsyeyes words not mine, equates to discomfort about the topic.

• garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,059 Senior Member
    Okay. Don't agree but don't want to debate.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,367 Senior Member
    I'm not even certain if I believe they're "born" with this alternate self identity. I frankly don't think anyone truly knows where/when this originates.

But one poster minds this labelling, male or female. I suppose the med world has a protocol they follow for the birth cert, based on what they see.

I'm more concerned with the role of women and the subtle (or not so subtle) ways they are placed right back into traditional gender-defined roles. Mothers, baby makers. Of course, we women bear children. But in this office context, I can't get around the feeling that they celebrate the pregnancy and birth, may be missing the other contributions women make. Sorry if this makes me a party pooper. But I believe somehow, we need to consider this.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,492 Forum Champion
    @GTalum how did it go?
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    @lookingforward As far as I know, there are various kinds of transgender individuals. On one end of the scale are those who are born with XY chromosomes but female genitalia for example, or with a hormonal makeup from a different gender. On the other end may be kids who are just depressed and think gender switch will help them not to hate themselves.There are very many different scenarios.

My suspicion is that our society moved a long way towards allowing women to fill traditionally male roles, but not other way around, and there might have been fewer actual transgenders if it was as routine for men to wear skirts and makeup as it is now for women not to.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,614 Senior Member
    bhs1978 wrote:
    The baby will be born with a biological gender, that's really not debatable.

Note that biological sex is not binary in all cases, as there are occasional intersex people.

http://www.isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex
    hebegebe wrote:
    Why is everyone making this so hard? The gender reveal party is really a “sex reveal party”, but of course that is an unacceptable name. So gender reveal party it will remain.

Why would "sex reveal party" be an unacceptable name for such an event?

Note the distinction between "sex" and "gender" as described in https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363.php . With respect to a fetus, "sex" is more easily noticed than "gender".
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 6,127 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    About 1 in 2000 babies are born with ambiguous external genitalia and more (one estimate puts the incidence at 1.7 % of the population) are born with physical intersex traits which may not be apparent until later. This is aside from issues such as gender dysphoria. Just some food for thought.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 16,059 Senior Member
    Just a usage note, friends: Transgender is an adjective not a noun. Someone is a transgender (not transgendered) person; he or she is not a transgender.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,251 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread has really drifted away from the question in the OP. I'm going to close the thread. @GTAlum, you may start a new thread if you want to give us an update, then I will close that thread, also.
  • GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 3,061 Senior Member
    Hi all, it looks like the gender reveal thread got discontinued. But I think there was some worthy discussion. I decided to participate and be part of the group. I wore a blue shirt because I didn't have a pink shirt. It's a boy. I'm OK with celebrating for each other at work. It is a "family." but this did feel a bit coerced. I smiled and nodded.
    edited December 2018
    Since the birth sex ratio in the US is 105 boys for every 100 girls, guessing boy is slightly more likely to be correct than guessing girl.
This discussion has been closed.