right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Happier List - 19 for 2019

abasketabasket 18718 replies843 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19,561 Senior Member
Prompted by one of my favorite podcasts, Happier with Gretchen Rubin, I'm working on a "19 for 19" list. 19 things I'd like to accomplish in 2019 that will make me happier. :)

The podcast introduced this concept in 2018 (18 for 2018) but I wasn't prepared to jump on board. This time around, I'll be ready. :)

I'm pretty much a "glass half full" person but know there are lots of little things I could accomplish or add to my life that would make me happier in general. Some things are very small and easy. Some a little more complicated.

Making a "19 for 19" list is not just a to-do list of things you NEED or SHOULD accomplish. The list should be things in your everyday life that would just make you a little happier.

I've been jotting down things to consider for awhile. I haven't finalized which "19" will make the cut. Here are some examples for my list:
Read 3 young adult novels (this genre can be fun and enlightening to read!)
Make a sweet pie. (love pies, but rarely make my own)
Make a savory pie.
Spend a day exploring Detroit.
Try two new exercise classes.
Refresh our main bathroom. (not a re-do, just a refresh!)
Make something out of the beach glass I've collected at the beach
Visit/hike at least 6 of our local MetroParks
Make time for more chaise time in the summer (we have a great deck with a shaded chaise, I love it, but don't make time to enjoy it!)

Those are some examples. I need to have my list ready in a week! I'll reevaluate the list quarterly and celebrate any progress. GLASS. HALF. FULL.

What would be on your happiness list?? Not major tough changes like losing 20 pounds or leaving a spouse! Simple changes or additions to your everyday life or free time that you've always wanted to do, would like to do, or have been on your bucket list for awhile???
37 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Happier List - 19 for 2019

• rosered55rosered55 4164 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for this suggestion. I will think about what I'd like to put on my list.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 18718 replies843 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19,561 Senior Member
    ^^ These are excellent! Exactly the idea! Putting happiness in your life in simple ways!

Also, I've never heard of Letterbox!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6063 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,169 Senior Member
    https://www.letterboxing.org

You might like it if you enjoy hiking because people often plant letterboxes in their favorite hiking locations.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 18718 replies843 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 19,561 Senior Member
    ^ That is so, so interesting!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6063 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,169 Senior Member
    Do a search for your area on the site I linked. You may be surprised by what's hidden in your own back yard. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • aMacMomaMacMom 217 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    Thanks for the Letterbox introduction. There are at least three in walking distance from my house, and many close driving distance away. One down 18 more to go.

This is a great idea. I'm generally a "glass half full" person too, but could certainly use a happiness booster.
    · Reply · Share
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy 2519 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    I’m midway through a book, “You Are Not a Rock”, by Mark Freeman. In essence, his book is about learning to accept the stuff in your head that causes your anxiety, working at living in the present, and living your life with intentions that align with your values - without using compulsive coping techniques.

HIS list would be a list of things that you do compulsively as a means of coping with or controlling uncertainty, anxiety and other feelings you don’t like. Accept the feelings you are trying to avoid, chose to do things that align with your values and take action.

His suggestion would be to spend the year eliminating those things you do compulsively and replace them with more intentional actions. (Even something like running or yoga can be a compulsion if you do it to cope with the stress of your job. Do it because you enjoy it or because it is healthy, but the important issue to address is the stress in your job.

I’m listing the things I do compulsively and would like to eliminate. For example:

Compulsively checking social media too often might be the one thing that I waste the most time on. I’d like to return to reading the newspaper in the morning and not paying attention to the news after that! I would like to have time to read books with intention.

· Reply · Share
    ^^^ I don't object to this method but for me it has more of a negative "work" connotation. Work tasks as opposed to happy things that give me delight. That's just my outtake.

A Happiness List should probably not resemble a "NY Resolution List". It can be a trick to think that way but the outcomes are small pleasures that just brighten your life.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32206 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,542 Senior Member
    I do like the idea of "small pleasures" is refreshing. Resolutions are usually about improvement of something we don't like. This is some of the icing.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 31930 replies155 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,085 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    1. Do more watercolor painting.
    2. Find and take a class in Chinese ink painting.
    3. Read more for pleasure.
    4. Drag DH to more movies. We loved every one we saw, but we could have seen a lot more.
    5. Do more day hikes - we went hiking most weekends we were in Hong Kong and it was not only enjoyable, it's also healthy.
    6. It sounds like a negative, but I need to say no to more jobs. There are two categories I'd like to eliminate or at least reduce drastically. Legalizations and small downtown stores. Too many of them end up being real time sinks. And I'd have a lot more time for painting if I didn't spend time on this stuff.
    7. I'm not sure if it will be this year, but I'd like to get myself to Yellowstone.
    8. Do something in NYC at least once a month. Concert, meal, museum whatever!
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • tired alreadytired already 249 replies88 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 337 Member
    Thank you for this idea. This will be the perfect thread for me to follow. My New Year's resolution is a very non-specific start to make a few small changes in my life. Nothing drastic, but there are definitely some opportunities for improvement or enjoyment that need to be explored. I'm thinking all areas of my life and I'm planning to keep it to myself. I like the idea of "refreshing" a room rather than re-doing because I can do that. It's things like that that I am looking for. I will probably read more than I participate, but I will be here.

I'm thinking this will be similar to the bag a week thread where I just keep working at it and sooner or later, change will happen. Thank you.
    · Reply · Share